It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people of the uk are being given the opportunity to petition the house of commons to change the thin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have just come across the article below, it discusses bringing back hanging in the UK.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

What I found really interesting about the story, is that our goverment have set up a website, for us to e-petition them on any subjects that matter to us as individuals. If it gets at least 100,000 signatures, the goverment will consider debating our proposal.

I am not convinced that they will actually listen to the person on the street, but we have nothing to lose by trying.

submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk...

Above link connects to the peoples proposal website

Lets make good use of it
edit on 21/03/2011 by eccentriclady because: to fix link

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Link doesn't work, www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 3-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well I for one will not be signing the E-Petition for the death penalty. It was banned for a reason. It has no place in the UK.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I myself will be intrested to see a cannabis petition for the decrimilisation of said substance.

Obviously becuase I have a terminal illness , yada, yada, yada, you know where im going with this, just the usual prescribed meds dont seem to be effective routine.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
*wheres that facepalm pic?*

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The link is now fixed, apologies, they moved the article moments after I read it.

Im not sure how I feel about bringing back hanging. It was stopped for a very good reason and has been debated in parliment many times since, without getting the support needed. Pedophiles and rapists can't be cured though, so perhaps in some circumstances.......!

I focused on the e petition website as I think its a wonderful idea, labour did something similar, but it was closed down quickly.

I noticed that no matter how much public interest is shown for any particular idea, the goverment are under no obligation to debate it, They have just suggested they may.

Would be a great step forward if enough people contribute on this site and attempt to push the goverment to take notice of the little people

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Your all counting the chickens before they hatch and I quote

"the goverment will consider debating our proposal"

If the subject is to conterversal then it will be swept under the table ie capital punishment.
edit on 3-8-2011 by michaelmcclen because: wrong metaphor

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I totally agree that it is unlikely this site will make any difference at all. I read the papers everyday and had not heard a mention of it before now.

It is going live shortly, I am hoping that the more attention the site gets, the more our goverment is put under pressure to listen to us.

I understand exactly what you are saying, but we need to use the little we have, to the best of our ability, to attempt to change our society for the better.

Nothing will ever change, if we just sit back and moan, while sipping coffee and watching the news.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by eccentriclady

There used to be a similar site for the same thing back around 2007 before they closed it down and to be honest it dident do # all back then and I dont expect it to do # all now.

Just intresting to see them dangle the carrot infront for the peon's to feel as if they can have a say in how our country is run.

The only true way to have a say in how our country is run involves murdering 1% of our population and I can guess you know what 1% im talking about. But thats just becoming who they are and I never want to be like them.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
"Capital punishment is expected to be the first subject debated by Parliament under an e-petitions scheme."

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

" e-petitions scheme " there you go,,,its a done deal,,, the power too influence govt. decision making ,,,has entered the new age,,,
dont worry it will be everywhere soon,,goodbye old way,,
hello too all those will control over,,,, access too information ,,
on the nodes on the internet servers.
from each major collection point ie google,, etc,,
now you see why
everyone wants too "sway"
opinion on specific sites,,, its being mined. and
too influence your way of thinking,,given the facts as "they" see fit. (no offence MODS).

edit on 3-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Im not getting excited just yet about the power being put in the hands of the working man! Labour tried it, for a week or so, made no difference at all.

When you say mined, Im guessing you mean "gaining more information about people"? To be honest, I believe that sometimes we have to stand up and be counted,

For a long time now people have moaned about our country, but few have stood up to fight and put their heart into it. If we keep doing the same thing, we will keep getting the same result. A big fat nothing.

There is always a hidden agenda, a mind game somewhere. Why would this be any different? But still it is worth a try.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
"Capital punishment is expected to be the first subject debated by Parliament under an e-petitions scheme."

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

" e-petitions scheme " there you go,,,its a done deal,,, the power too influence govt. decision making ,,,has entered the new age,,,
dont worry it will be everywhere soon,,goodbye old way,,
hello too all those will control over,,,, access too information ,,
on the nodes on the internet servers.
from each major collection point ie google,, etc,,
now you see why
everyone wants too "sway"
opinion on specific sites,,, its being mined. and
too influence your way of thinking,,given the facts as "they" see fit. (no offence MODS).

Im not going to split hairs with you , but considering that the site is not open yet and even the daily mail use the word "expecting" does not mean its set in stone.

David cameron already said he is against capital punishment and the way politics work is that he makes the whips vote for what he believes in, not only that but the coalition would split at the seesm because im sure as # that lib dem pocket boy would drop out of the agreement faster than you would drop a $2 call girl.

Ill place money on it now that it "might" get debated in the HOC but there would NEVER be a vote on the topic. Its political suiside.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

And it does bring up a legitimate point,, practically any web page with a thousand members,,
of the same thinking,, say for instance a clan web page,
cause once you have a 1000 members,,
10,000 aint that far away ,, etc,,
Can't call it Grass Roots,,
must have different name as a power base sig.
ie: Glass Roots
glass sand silicone comp chip,,,,hehehe

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Would be interesting to see what this country would look like if policies were set by majority votes from the public. It would certainly be a far better place than the mess the Politicians have made of it

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
and too prove my point if u ask a 12-18 year old, the same thing they will say,,,,wake up gramps,,,its called twitter,,,duh,,, lol see we are just way too far behind, cause they had the power for quite a while now by the way,, lol ,, tech,, increases every 10 minutes now guys lol

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

You really think the government cares what the little people think?.
Ah yes, the people got them to do a U turn and stopped them from selling the forests a few months back. Sending the message that they really care about the people and value their input.
Have you ever heard the expression "A sprat to catch a mackeral"? They want to pass a bill for the Death penalty, the majority of the population are against it so they throw out a story that they intend to sell the forests. The people rebel, the government do a U turn on something they never intended to do in the first place. The people are happy, the government are happy because at least now the little ones believe they have a voice and their opinion can make a difference. Step two, Through the media, bring to the attention of the people some of the worst cases of murder and laughable sentences until they demand something be done about it. Step three, Put out the "Real" bill they want to pass and ask the little people for their input. Let them think they were the ones that wanted it.
lt will be no good crying When people are put to death and months or years later are found innocent and to many have been over the years. Be careful what you wish for my friend.
Peace starchild.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by star child

You really think the government cares what the little people think?.
Ah yes, the people got them to do a U turn and stopped them from selling the forests a few months back. Sending the message that they really care about the people and value their input.
Have you ever heard the expression "A sprat to catch a mackeral"? They want to pass a bill for the Death penalty, the majority of the population are against it so they throw out a story that they intend to sell the forests. The people rebel, the government do a U turn on something they never intended to do in the first place. The people are happy, the government are happy because at least now the little ones believe they have a voice and their opinion can make a difference. Step two, Through the media, bring to the attention of the people some of the worst cases of murder and laughable sentences until they demand something be done about it. Step three, Put out the "Real" bill they want to pass and ask the little people for their input. Let them think they were the ones that wanted it.
lt will be no good crying When people are put to death and months or years later are found innocent and to many have been over the years. Be careful what you wish for my friend.
Peace starchild.

Ah yes the old 'bait and switch' approach.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
Well I for one will not be signing the E-Petition for the death penalty. It was banned for a reason. It has no place in the UK.

Id be quite happy for it to be bought in for child killers.

Id also be very happy for murderers and rapists to get life (which means life, not 5 years) too, we are too soft on serious criminals.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem

I think it should be reserved for only politicians and bankers.

2nd line

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

No they have to since it was the Government who set this up in the first place.

It is not if they are going to debate this issue, it is when.

And if they voted to bring the hanging back. I could see injustices being carried out. Repeating history again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join