It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few moral questions for you guys.How do YOU answer?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The intention of my thread is to try to learn more....nothing more,nothing less.
Hopefully,I will learn more by interacting with my fellow atsers.

1.If you didn't trust who you worked for,would it mean enough to you that you would leave your job?
(even though the economy is bad and you get paid good money)

2.Would you go into a corner store for a bum who needed food but you knew he was giving you 10 bucks in change?(and you had no wallet or cash and only spent yer last 2 bucks in change on gum)
Would you have the patience to count it out for him,or would you walk away??

3.If you found an injured animal that "more than likely might not make it"....would you kill it out of mercy or try to rescue it or walk away??

4.If someone dropped their wallet and YOU were penniless...would you still give him the wallet back??

Have a good day

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
1: I would look for another job.

2: Yes, though I'm confused why the bum can't buy it himself?

3: I would try to rescue it.

4: They'd get their wallet back, but you didn't mention if any money was inside.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
1.Yes, and I have. It turned out that I made the right choice to leave.

2.For food, yes. For Booze, no.

3.I would rescue it, I am a softy for animals.

4 Yep, I have done that too, even when there was a boat load of cash.

There are still good people about.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This sounds interesting, I'll bite.

1- If I didn't trust my boss would I still work for them?
That one is actually a bit too vague for me. Depends on what level I found them untrustworthy. On one end of the spectrum, if I thought my boss might try to steal from me or cheat me somehow I would probably stay and just be extra vigilant. If I really thought my life was in danger and my boss was going to kill me I would probably not go in to work.

2- Would I go into a store to buy a bum food if he was giving me change to pay for it?
I'm not sure why the bum can't go into the store himself, but if there was obviously no other option then I definitely would go get the food for the bum.

3- If an animal were almost surely dieing what would I do?
I would probably feel sorry for it and try to make it quicker for the thing. If it seemed like there was a decent chance to save it I might call fish and game or bring it to a vet.

4-What if I found a wallet, and I am broke?
I would keep the money in it, but not the wallet. Especially if I was really hard up for money. That is a groundscore.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

The intention of my thread is to try to learn more....nothing more,nothing less.

1.If you didn't trust who you worked for,would it mean enough to you that you would leave your job?

2.Would you go into a corner store for a bum who needed food but you knew he was giving you 10 bucks in change?(and you had no wallet or cash and only spent yer last 2 bucks in change on gum)

3.If you found an injured animal that "more than likely might not make it"....would you kill it out of mercy or try to rescue it or walk away??

4.If someone dropped their wallet and YOU were penniless...would you still give him the wallet back??

Have a good day

1. I really don't trust anyone I am not related to so, if that were the case I would never work.
2. I would do it if he was unable to do it himself, if he was just being lazy then I would walk away.
3. I would examine the animal and if I believed the injuries were too severe, I would put it down.
4. It's hard to answer this one, I've never been desperate and penniless. So i really don't know.

Now YOU have a good day!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

As long as I trust them to pay me.... I mean what kind of trust should they get beyond that?

I would go into a corner store for anyone who needed food. I have personally paid for food using 18US$ in dimes
It was kinda hilarious

Depends on the animal and situation I think.. I have never been in this situation where I just "walked away", but I can probably imagine a few where I might. Once, a bird fell out of my tree. I don't know why he fell... but I spent a good hour trying to give him water, and keeping him comfortable (though in hindsight I probably scared the hell out of him). He died. I gave him a proper burial in my back yard with my other beloved pets.

If they are in front of me and I see it fall, absolutely I'd give it right back to them. Keeping it with them being RIGHT THERE would just be... wrong.
However, if I find a wallet on the street, I keep the money, the rest of it goes into the mailbox. Consider it a "finders fee" or "storage fee" (for however long I have to hold onto it before coming across a mailbox) or consider it a "lesson" to keep track of your wallet better. If I lost my wallet, I would expect the same - so "do unto others" totally applies here.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Forevever because: typo's are evil

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Have a good day

1: I would look for a different job, while staying employed until I found it. Fortunately, I don’t have that problem as I am currently unemployed.

2: No, Sounds like a food stamp scam.

3: If it were legal and the animal was severly injured with little hope for it, I would kill it. If I thought there was hope, I would request help from the local animal shelter.

4: If I seen the wallet drop, they'd get their wallet back. If I found it on the side of the road with ID, I would try to get it and it’s contents back. If there was no ID, I’d hang on to it for a while and listen/watch for word on someone losing it. If I haven’t heard anything within six months….it’s mine. (I’ve been down that road before actually)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hi DrumsRfun:
We need more threads like this, but alas, most people seem to be hung up on politics and economics.
If the answers to your question are to be all correct, you must do so by always following the rule that one must do what is Good, Right and Just. That said, I have never ever had a job (now a retired RN) in which I trusted my boss. Indeed I was a boss, and I am not even sure if I trusted myself at that point. I certainly didn't trust those above me, or those below me. Those that I did trust had to earn it. To dangerous trusting without knowledge. and yes I did leave jobs because I did not trust those above me. Money is not an object that allows for integrity....
2. I would think through the bum thing. If he had that money why wouldn't he go into the store. What I may do though is take him to the nearest bank and get the money exchanged so it would be more convenient for the store owner..that is what is right. No one should take in 10 bucks in change. Not fair to the store..get it exchanged..help the bum do it if necc. be considerate of the store owner..do what is right, good and just
that said..if the banks were closed, and he could not count I would go in with him to be sure he was not cheated. He must take his own actions to feel responsible.
3. if the animal was dying what could anyone do. I probably would not have anything on hand to euthanize him with, but if he was suffering..I would think of something if no help could come.
but I would pick up my cell and call the proper people to come and get him. They have facilities to care for animals..at least where I live they do.
4. If someone dropped their wallet and I had no money at all? I would return it fully intact. do what is right, just and good. Like in the field of medicine. "first do no harm" If we all followed those rules the world would not be so messed up.
I am sure someone is thinking, yea right...what is right to you may not be so to me..or what is good to you may not be to me. To that argument I say: Don't cop out...We all know what is Just and Right ... and Good. We just don't do it. enter the New World Order
God bless
DH

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Interesting that you came up with that.
I do remember back in the day when they gave you "physical" paper money in a book - and I would stop at 3 stores on the way to the 4th so that I'd have a pocket full of real change to buy cigarettes.

We're going WAY back though - when it was still legal for a teenager to buy cigarettes.
These days foodstamps are on a "card" like all the other money in the country. So the scam would be difficult to apply here.

added note - some places don't allow bums into their stores for whatever reasons they think are right - I don't agree with it - but I've seen it happen - I imagine the shop owner suspects them of stealing and/or caught them stealing in the past. Its the only good reason I can come up with.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Forevever because: eta

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Interesting that you came up with that.
I do remember back in the day when they gave you "physical" paper money in a book - and I would stop at 3 stores on the way to the 4th so that I'd have a pocket full of real change to buy cigarettes.

We're going WAY back though - when it was still legal for a teenager to buy cigarettes.
These days foodstamps are on a "card" like all the other money in the country. So the scam would be difficult to apply here.

added note - some places don't allow bums into their stores for whatever reasons they think are right - I don't agree with it - but I've seen it happen - I imagine the shop owner suspects them of stealing and/or caught them stealing in the past. Its the only good reason I can come up with.
edit on 3-8-2011 by Forevever because: eta

That scam is still going strong where I live. And the state will still give you a book if you request them.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
#1 is a goody and very applicable in my current situation. The back story there is my company was just taken over by a freaking huge corporation, whom I loathe with all my soul.
I will eventually quit, but what has made me stay is the crew that I supervise. This was a "good ole boy" industry, now corporatist ideology has perverted every aspect of the job I once loved. So I choose to fight for my crew because I can be the mediator between us and them.

#2 I would help in any way I could.

#3 difficult. It is hard for me to kill anything. But I would try to find someb
ody that could.

#4 money is useless, I would give it all back, broke or not. If they were out of state, I would use some money to pay for postage and send reciepts with the wallet.

Good thread.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Depends (you're gonna see that word a lot here, lol), what don't I trust them about? I have trust issues...I don't trust many people. As long as I can trust them to pay me on time and they aren't forcing me to do anyting immoral or illegal, then I see no reason not to stay at the job.

Depends (again), where is this located, what time of day is it, and what is he asking me to buy? And why can't he go into the store himself? I'm a bit confused on this one.

Depends (told ya), what type of animal is it? Is it a bear? Is it a dog? Do I know this animal? Is it domesticated? Is it venomous? It may have rabies.

I can tell you this, I probably wouldn't kill it...because I don't think I am skilled enough in animal medicine to know for sure if it is too badly injured to live. And I would probably call either a vet or animal control and let them handle the situation.

Yep, wouldn't even think about it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

edit on 3-8-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2011 by DrumsRfun because: DANG....edit for the fail

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I can't argue with you without knowing where you live, but all US States replaced actual stamps with an EBT card in 2004

Today, all food-stamp benefits are distributed using cards

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Yes I would. I can't work for someone I don't trust because if they are doing shady business practices I am apart of that and I dont want to be.

I would have no problem helping him and I'd offer him some gum too.

I actually had a bum offer to help me with my tire. I couldnt get the tire lift in the right spot on my car and I was struggling so he walked over and offered to help. I thanked him and asked if he needed anything in return. He just asked to use my phone to call a family member to see if they would come pick him up. I of course let him, it wasn't a big deal and I heard his convo. He was super nice and if it wasn't for him I'd probably still be at the gas station lol I winded up buying him some food and a drink from the gas station and I gave him 20 bucks. He said he didn't want anything and that he helped me because he wanted to and I said well I am giving you this because I want to. I had a pretty crappy day and that guy made my day so much better. He had nothing and wanted to help me for nothing in return. To this day I wonder how he is and if he ever found a job and a place to stay.

I'd try to rescue it!! I could never walk away.....now if it was in a state where I knew it would never make it then I'd probably put it out of its misery and then bury it.

I did rescue the cutest baby owl one night outside my townhouse. It was the cutest thing ever and I wanted to keep it! It had a broken wing from falling out of the tree but I put it in a box and called animal rescue for wildlife. They came the next day and picked the little guy up. I stayed up all night with it, made sure it felt safe and put leaves and moss from the tree in there for it too. I tried to give it food like mushed worms or water but it didn't want it. They said if I didn't save it it would have died. The lady from the rescue shelter contacted me a couple months later to let me know it had fully recovered and they released it back into the wild. I was happy it didn't die!

Owls are one of my favorite animals and if I could have one as a pet I would!

Have a good day

Yes...I found a billfold at work with over 3k in it and I could have REALLY used that money but it wasn't mine so I turned it in. The guy who it belonged to actually turned around and gave me 500 bucks for being honest. It was his money for his trip, he was on vacation. Without that he was screwed.

I believe in karma, do good it comes back, do bad it comes back. If I find money or anything even a phone I always return it to lost and found or the police dept.

The only time i kept money was when i was about 8 I found a book on the side of the street covered in moss and I picked it up and inside was 20 bucks. I thought I was rich

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I thought they were all gone as well, until recently. I saw a lady, in Cleveland, OH, use a book the other day at the grocery store. Maybe I was seeing something other than food stamps, but I did assume that's what they were.

And I do know that the various law enforcement agencies here are combating food stamp fraud.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

There is no foodstamp fraud when a human being needs to eat.
The fraud is why they can't eat.

But thats another story.
edit on 3-8-2011 by DrumsRfun because: Edited because I like food....and want food.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

that is odd... I tried to google but I failed to find anything resembling

I'm thinking she either had WIC vouchers, or they gave them to her in an "emergency" situation, where she didn't yet have the EBT card issued to her? But as far as I know, they don't even print them anymore.

If she was pulling a scam, good thing she won't be getting them anymore. Cause Cleveland definitely has an EBT program.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I remember going to the corner store to get candy and cigarettes for my mom!

The guy who ran it had all the penny candy (oh how I miss that candy) and my mom would give us each a dollar and we'd walk to the store and get our candy and her cigarettes and usually milk. It was like two blocks up the street..

Those were the days where you could walk around the neighborhood and go to the store and not worry about crazy kidnappers and creepy weirdos, candy for a penny or a nickel. I wouldn't want to be a kid right now, it is so not the same! I grew up in the 80s which isn't that long ago but times sure have changed.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
1: I'd stay for the money. I hated the bosses and co-workers in most of my jobs to date but still never left until they let me go for varying reasons (temporary position, unable to afford improvements to workplace and pay me at same time, that sort of thing). Everyone needs money right now so I'd even go live in the US and work for Monsanto if it was a well paid job, why miss out on feeding yourself and your family over that?

2: No, I made it a rule years ago to never purchase goods for another person

3: If possible I'd try to get it to the nearest vet, if I knew I couldn't I'd leave it. Sounds cruel but I wouldn't be able to bring myself to harm an animal even in pain and distress.

4: I'd give the wallet back

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join