It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobody died from radiation at Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I heard a guy make this claim on the radio this morning and had to check it out. Apparently, there are a few articles that back up this claim:

Life and Nuclear Radiation: Chernobyl and Fukushima in perspective

Ever since the Cold War with its threat of nuclear holocaust we have held radiation in awe. But, unlike at other accidents, nobody died of radiation at Fukushima. Something is wrong! The safety of radiation is misunderstood.

British science association

Unfortunately, that one ends right there and doesn't offer more details.

I found another from April (not the 1st either):

No one has died from radiation at Fukushima. Anti-nuclear activists hardest hit.

You may be surprised to learn that no one has died from radiation at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. And that must be killing anti-nuclear activists, because nothing would do more for their cause than nuclear radiation raining death down on thousands.
fukushima-50

No one's died. No one's sick. Well, that's not quite true. The anti-nuke people are pretty sick about it.

The Australian, one of the largest newspapers down under, has the unexpected story:

Amazingly, despite the devastation of the site, there have been no radiation-related deaths at Fukushima so far, and only two workers have been hospitalised as a precaution.

The only people to have perished at Fukushima were a man who became trapped in the console of a crane during the earthquake and two who were swept away by the tsunami. The entire toll from the earthquake, remember, is estimated at about 25,000.

While it is not yet over, and radioactivity continues to come out of the devastated plant, the good news is that there are still precisely zero deaths attributable to the release of radiation at the plant, and on the basis of doses received, zero are expected.

I hate the media

I checked their source and it says this about the Chernobyl disaster :

The UNSCEAR report was assembled by the world's top scientists, epidemiologists and medical professionals after producing and examining hundreds of studies. It was presented to the UN General Assembly in 2000 and has been regularly updated ever since.

The report found that 134 plant staff and emergency workers at Chernobyl suffered acute radiation syndrome. In the first few months after the accident 28 of them died and, by 2006, another 19 died of causes not usually associated with radiation exposure.

The experts were surprised they could not find the diseases they expected to find in populations of people exposed to significant doses of radiation. The prevalence of birth defects and cancers such as leukaemia were no higher than were being experienced before the accident, even among the 600 surviving workers, many of whom received large radiation doses.

The singular exception to this was the incidence of thyroid cancer in local children. A large increase in cases is now thought to be the result of authorities allowing milk from contaminated areas to continue to be sold.

By 2005, about 6000 cases of thyroid cancer in children had been recorded in neighbouring areas, many more than would be otherwise expected. This was a terrible outcome, but since thyroid cancer is treatable, only 15 people had died by 2005.

Further casualties cannot be ruled out but astonishingly, to this day, the deaths that can be attributed to the worst nuclear accident in history are fewer than 100, and are probably closer to 50.

The Australian

They go on to point out that the fear of radiation causes significant increases in abortions and suicides, even in regions far removed from the accident site.

Has this whole disaster been overplayed by the media? Are we getting all worked up over nothing?

Or, is this disinformation put out by pro-nuclear activists?

I don't know much about the situation on the ground in Japan but, I would like to hear from members who may be closer to the site and could give their own observations as to whether these stories are true or not.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'm assuming that the website is lying and here's why:
Why would the MSM ignore this story? Wouldn't they be the first to throw this out there? The elites who run MSM are obviously pro-nuclear. This sounds like a great story they would run...I mean they've been downplaying the incident for months...why ignore a story that downplays it even more?

Plus, the U.S. government/military did very thorough* experiments to determine the lethal doses(and non lethal doses and effects) of radiation. I doubt any of the effects of radiation vary significantly from the results of their thorough* studies.

*you don't want to know the sick $#!7 they did
edit on 3-8-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The anti-nuclear do-gooders thought Christmas has come early when the tsunami caused mayhem and destruction in Japan and damaged the old Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Even on ATS reports circulated of the end of the world and all that.

In the time since Fukushima happened, and in the time for the problems to be resolved I just wonder how many coal miners will die and how many workers will fall off the gigantic wind turbines blighting the land.

Regards

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I'm assuming that the website is lying and here's why:
Why would the MSM ignore this story? Wouldn't they be the first to throw this out there? The elites who run MSM are obviously pro-nuclear. This sounds like a great story they would run...I mean they've been downplaying the incident for months...why ignore a story that downplays it even more?

What MSM are you talking about?

The MSM I know has been anti-nuclear power since even before Three Mile Island. You also have to keep in mind that disasters and panic means ratings for them.

A story about nobody getting sick just wouldn't be exciting enough for them.

I couldn't ever imagine seeing these stories on the front page of any newspaper or news show.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
When we look at Fukushima, we need to look back at Chernobyl for a guide. And when we do that, there are a lot of different opinions as to what extent the disaster resulted in fatalities. Since it is much harder to gauge to what extent the increased hot particles and elevated radiation exposure affected the populations down wind of Chernobyl over the last twenty five odd years, it is just as hard to attribute what level did it directly influence cancer deaths, genetic mutations, and such. With that said, I guess it comes down to who you want to trust:

Chernobyl death toll grossly underestimated

Chernobyl death toll and Fukushima

Do we know the Chernobyl death toll?

New Book Concludes - Death Toll from Chernobyl 985,000 - Mostly From Cancer

Please, before you flame me...I'm not saying these organizations or sources are right, either. But what you have is are disparagingly different conclusions between on the one hand anti nuclear groups reporting glaringly high numbers, and on the other IAEA (read pro nuclear power) influenced W.H.O. and U.N. reports declaring truly questionable low numbers on the other.

I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle. But I'd personally side on the one that wasn't influenced by corporate money or motivation...but that's just me.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
surely we should not watch at instant deaths or any short term unless one has been exposed to extreem high concentrations of radiation.
Conserning Chernobyl, lots of children were born with complications and many developed cancer in their childhood.
This is what we will see, and we must not forget the use of plutonium which make Fukushima far worse than Chernobyl.
Also, the fact that Tepco has been succesfull at deluding and hiding the truth, probably some lifes already are lost.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by quadagent

The IAEA report compares the actual rates of cancer vs the expected (average) rates in the European community to get their numbers. It may not be perfect or take the specifics of each case into effect but as a baseline for measuring the increase in cancers I think its a good method.

New Book Concludes - Death Toll from Chernobyl 985,000 - Mostly From Cancer

Many of the sources you cited use estimations based on the expected numbers of cancers based on the amount of exposure received by the population. They often don't take into account the actual number of cancer deaths that occurred when coming up their statistics. I would like to know how the book author came up with his number, it seems he may have attributed all cancer deaths to Chernobyl but, without further reviewing his statistics I don't know.

Its probably like you said; the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

I would still like to hear from somebody near to Japan about what they think of this claim.

I remember reading about the "Kamikaze" workers who were under the belief that they would soon die from the radiation exposure they were receiving but continued anyway because they believed their clean up work was that important.

Have any of them died or been hospitalized from their radiation exposure?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I just came across this thread and a question came to mind. Is it possible that we have been fed alittle radiation for so long that our bodies are accepting it and possiby be something we could be ammune to someday?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
HEY,,this calf didn't die either,,,

Ok,, which one wants a hamburger,, yummm yummm,,

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
China would never hide the dead. would they?
the men who cleaned up the glowing rubbish.
are very well. though they have only just got there new name.
as the last one with that name died.
but not from radiation. though they did melt and now glow.

oh for god sake.
china has less than zero value for a human life.
and they hide ever thing.
there Never was an earth quake.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Has this whole disaster been overplayed by the media? Are we getting all worked up over nothing?
Or, is this disinformation put out by pro-nuclear activists?

Spin. There is absolutely no doubt that many people will die from the radioactive materials released at Fukushima. However, deadly cancers don't crop up overnight. Clearly we have a "different" situation than that of Chernobyl. At Chernobyl you had an explosion which released uranium particles into the air, which came down in the "black rains", giving large doses to people who were not informed in time. Then later, the mass contamination of the area produced a lingering cancer nightmare for many regions, which continue even today in parts of the Ukraine.

With Fukushima, we had some explosions which did release pieces of plutonium and uranium, but the amount and the nature of the material released isn't known (and probably won't be.) You had a general evacuation of the worst contaminated zones which happened fairly quickly, and you also had a lot of the plume blowing out to sea, instead of neighboring countries.

However, the magnitude of release is undoubtedly worse, and is still continuing even as I type this. The effects are going to be distributed and delayed. The lingering cancer nightmare will still be there. The deadly isotopes coat half of Japan, pollute their groundwater and the Pacific Ocean and also distributed themselves over the US, Canada and most everywhere else. And they aren't stopping anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Could you please explain what China has to do with the earthquake and tsunami and the resulting devastation in JAPAN?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Everything is depending on Calculation and Definition!

But we see at the Moment that the Nuclear Industrial Complex will not stop
their Propaganda Attack and they will continue to bribe our Government even in a bigger Scale!

"Protest is when i say i don't like this,
Resistance is when i procure that the things will stop"

Everyone, incl. me, need to show more Resistance against the On-Going Poisoning,
yesterday Tschernobyl, today Fukushima and tomorrow your Hometown,
fight the Nuclear Complex- NOW!

All forms of Resistance are legit!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

WTF are you talking about china for?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
& how many people have got cancer caused by this radiation ? We dont know, unless the radiation is so intense its going to instantly melt all there skin off or something crazy, im pretty sure the radiation will be more of a slow killer, genetic mutaton, cancer etc...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It is nice to hear this indeed. I hope those ill can heal as well thru it as best as they can so the vibrations come back up over there. Factored in the potential deceit that can be in play as well, and hope none is.

S&F thanks for the update
edit on 8/4/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
you mean all the clean up workers are alive and well? Didn't they call it a suicide mission? Plus you have to give it a few years and wait to see if the cancer rate rises.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
HEY,,this calf didn't die either,,,

Ok,, which one wants a hamburger,, yummm yummm,,

Do you have any information that links this to radiation in Japan?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
you mean all the clean up workers are alive and well? Didn't they call it a suicide mission? Plus you have to give it a few years and wait to see if the cancer rate rises.

I was hoping someone would have more info on those guys. True heroes in my book.

I had heard that they would be dead fairly quickly from the radiation levels they were exposed to. Does anybody have an update on what happened to those guys?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by filosophia

I was hoping someone would have more info on those guys. True heroes in my book.

I had heard that they would be dead fairly quickly from the radiation levels they were exposed to. Does anybody have an update on what happened to those guys?

The Fukushima 50?

I tried to localize any form of News since 10 Weeks but there is absolute nothing!

a few possibilities:
1. They are already Dead or still on the Bridge
2. The Story was just Fiction
3. They are still on duty but have no Time for Fame
4. They stay in a Hospital

top topics

<<   2 >>

join