It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make your own wax slugs...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I've been shooting and reloading shotgun shells for many years but have never seen this technique. I've heard of it in passing but never gave it much thought until now. It's seems practical and quite simple when you consider how many boxes of shells stuffed with #8 I have lying around.

This gentleman has a nice series of videos related to the topic.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
S&F for a very interesting video
Thank you for sharing it, i definitively gonna try it

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Could you explain the point? I don't understand.

Why not just use slugs?

I guess I am missing the whole point.

The only use I can think of for this is after TSHTF and you ran out of slugs but had a lot of shot shells left you could make these.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Would be interesting to see what the pros and cons are to using wax slugs vs regular slugs.

I do find it neat that you can do that but, you can make anything a projectile with enough gunpowder behind it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Could you explain the point? I don't understand.

Why not just use slugs?

I guess I am missing the whole point.

The only use I can think of for this is after TSHTF and you ran out of slugs but had a lot of shot shells left you could make these.

Exactly the point. These slugs could be used to take down large game in a SHTF situation and the man who made this video has accurately fired the slugs at a100 yard thin steel target and penetrated the light gauge steel.

Just be sure to load them one at a time if you're using a pump action or auto loader. Essentially this wax and shot slug adheres to the wad in the shell. When fired, the wad falls off down range and the slug continues to travel just as the wad would normally deliver the raw shot.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Jewelers wax works the best www.positiveflow.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

most bird shot is 5 bucks for 25-50 shells 5 slugs are usualy 5-6 $ so its kind of a cost effective poor mans slug so it makes some form of economic sense im gonna give it a shot and if i dont blow up or set my kitchen on fire ill try to post results

got one loaded up with 7 22 hollow points for expirementation sake if thats a horrible idea im down for suggestions but i had some extra ammo that wouldnt feed in my 22 so i figured why not give it a shot just need some more wax
edit on 3-8-2011 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I learned something useful for bad times

Star and Flag
Good post

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Did you use loaded rounds or just the hollow point projectiles? If you put 7 .22lrs with powder in a shell I will say with some certainty that will cause your chamber to blow up in your face. Rifle rounds contain high explosives not meant to be detonated in shotguns.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Never seen any exploding .22 rounds or any rounds sold to the public that explode, but guess it doesnt mean they arent out there, to spendy for me Im sure.
Id make sure your using a slug barrel when you try that .22 trick.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

lol just the hollow points them selves not the full shell with powder and whatnot im not that daft i just wanna make sure it wont screw up the barrel if i try it

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Make sure you use the slug barrel then, dont think your bird set up will handle it!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

yeah its a ithaca feather light from 52 i think so i might have to wait a while to try my invention as its got the full choke in it and i dont know how well that would work but hey least i know 7 of them can fit in there if it ever comes down to needing to do it

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
They should add some bacon grease to that mix, because everything tastes better with bacon.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Okay then, should work in a pinch, but yeah, they will wear the bore faster than regular bird/trap shot. Plus, the spread will be random and ineffective beyond very close range I'm guessing.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

yeah i wasent thinking it would be effective past maby 25 feet wonder if putting like tails on the rounds with strings would workif not i think its just another way to shoot other things outa your shot gun when ammos tight as long as there in the wax once i get some watermelons or whatnot to test it ill put videos on youtube

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

If I remember correctly, at least where I am in Canada, flechette rounds are prohibited. I guess in a real shtfs that wouldn't matter, but I wouldn't want to be caught making any beforehand.

I have heard of sewing needles being used for flechettes during wars in the past. You could probably even shoot nuts and bolts like an old timey pirate if you had to. Powder and primers will be hard to come by though.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Explanation: I would like to not derail this thread... But you make a very important point and that very point is the reason I advocate piantball markers!

Personal Disclosure: S&F! for the OP'er ...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Some test rounds

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well,

If these are for when the SHTF then I would reckon that the same idea would work well with many different items
You could fill the shell with........

Nuts - probably around a 9/16 nut, 3-4 should fit
Ball bearings
A round'ish rock in worst case scenario

I have to chach to be sure but I think a 12 guage is .62" dia. so anything would work.

I am going to order a pound of fletchettes and experiment. Cheaper than dirt sells them by the pound.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join