It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican: Discovery of ET won't undermine Christianity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Ok,

This article is a little old, so I don't want people to think that this was something the Pope said today after reports came out that he might be near the end of his life.

That being said... while searching for info on the vatican observatory I found this interesting article. In it, a variety of Church theologians argue that the discovery of extraterrestrials WILL NOT automatically disprove the ideas behind Christianity:

www.findarticles.com...

'"Christians have always understood that the entire cosmos is a creation of God, that any life anywhere is a divine creation," said Dominican Fr. Augustine Di Noia, undersecretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican's doctrinal oversight agency
"There would be absolutely no motive for scandal" if scientists were to establish the existence of life elsewhere, Di Noia told NCR Jan. 21."

The article frames the question within the context of ET life being discovered as a result of the new, expanded space exploration proposals President Bush has made. It did not present the question to the theologians as one that might involve aliens in UFOs landing on the White House lawn... so we have to keep in mind that this answer had in mind a situation where humans discovered aliens... not the other way around.

Why would that matter? Well, I'd argue that the presence of a super powerful alien entity that came out and claimed that there was no God... might scare the hell out of a lot of people (to put it simply). Though I agree with the assessment of the theologians mentioned that the existence of aliens does not undermine the teachings of Christianity (or those of many other religions, for that matter), I wonder if the population in general will agree with that assessment.

Personally, I don't think it would be hard to equate the 'human soul' with sentience itself.

So... no conspiracy here, just some general comments from the theologians of the world's largest denomination regarding ETs.

and... some parting food for thought:
"In his Angelus address that day, Pope Paul marveled at the technical accomplishment behind the moon landing, but warned against a possible "idolatry of technology" that risks trivializing the human person. The pope said that no technical wizardry can ever resolve the basic questions of "What is the human being?" and "What is good?"

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Then, again (and to argue with myself)...

If intelligent aliens come down and say, "Yeah, Jesus... he's an artificial being we created in an attempt to control you guys with a pacifist religion that claims people can overcome death by being nice"

...well, that will be a whole new ballgame, won't it?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Thats would be a problem for them if they said something like they created Jesus or that Jesus was one of them. Or Perhaps they admitted they had a role even earlier into the Old Testament which would then effect the Jewish faith, And had proof to back up their claims.

I think that would be the end of religon as we know it.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Thats would be a problem for them if they said something like they created Jesus or that Jesus was one of them. Or Perhaps they admitted they had a role even earlier into the Old Testament which would then effect the Jewish faith, And had proof to back up their claims.

I think that would be the end of religon as we know it.

Or....they could just tell us they put Jesus here to control us becuase they know we saw him as the Messiah. But in reality, they had nothing ot do with him. They wouldn't really need to have done it for people to beleive them.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Master Jesus was putted here trying to warn the people of the evil that is on Earth.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well, on another note.

The official statements and actions from the vatican involving space exploration, statements about if aliens exist what it would to to religion and the fact they own several top notch observatory's around the globe, makes me wonder what they actualy know.

Why would the leaders of a religion come around to talk about the impact to their religion of something that officialy doesn't exist, while up to now they deny the posibility of anything outside of earth and sticked to the creation story's that only makes us become a few 1000 years ago??

Except if they actualy know that something DOES exist and they wish to prepare for it becoming common knowledge?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith would be the group that would defend the faith. So this is definately the right group to say such things.

I do know that the Vatican is actively persuing the search for extraterrestrial life from a scientific perspective. But who really knows what they "know".

Side note:
Why does it bother me when "the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith", which was previously known as "the Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office", which was previously known as "the Sacred Congregation of the Universal Inquisition" says something like "There would be absolutely no motive for scandal"?

ME

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think it is loony for them to believe and teach about Jesus in such a fairytale way. ie. He rose from the dead and ascended into Heaven and poof he was gone.

Makes alot more sense to believe Jesus was clestial born of human blood and he returned to the celestials via charriot of fire just like the book explains in the O.T.

I believe certain entities with in the Vatican know this and have hidden it from the masses for as long as they have know.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I am told by the alien races that all known races of people in the Universes believe in the one same God. Some of the things we humans believe "about" God and the natures of spirituality itself are unique, but we will figure those things out. Religion is not God. Religions more reflect man and are made of our ideas and perceptions.

There is only one "Son of God" as well. Here on Earth we call him Jesus but "The Son of God" has been in life on many worlds, and called by as many names. Not all worlds of intelligent life needed God to live inside of their race with them in order to teach them. Some, God could just talk to.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This subject had come up in the news some years ago, about the time the SETI at home project was announced. The Vaticant as well as leaders of several of the world's religious leaders held a meeting to discuss the ramifications of the discovery of life in the universe and made the proclaimation that all life is sacred and part of God's dominion.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Except if they actualy know that something DOES exist and they wish to prepare for it becoming common knowledge?

Maybe they want to prevent Catholic Christians from adopting the assumption or belief of some other Christians that anything from outside of our world must be demonic.

Another important factor is that contact between beings of different worlds and biologics is usually not physical, but telepathic and out-of-body. The effects of natural contact spirit to spirit is rather new to humans and may easily be "demonized" in humans' minds instead of understood as natural, and often is when humans discover they have alien contact.

No other races of people have any similar concept of "evil" that we humans have in our dogma. Look what happened when Louis Pasture discovered that germs cause diseases after everyone (everyone who was good) believed that they were caused by demons.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Plus...other life forms would have their own views of religion and origins....being that they are more advanced the we are, perhaps they are afraid Christians would believe their theories on the merit of them knowing more than we do...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

No other races of people have any similar concept of "evil" that we humans have in our dogma.

Lady Earthsister, could you clarify your statement? Surely the concept of good/evil-light/dark-right/wrong, is at some level a universal concept. Please forgive me, at times I'm a bit dense.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Plus...other life forms would have their own views of religion and origins....being that they are more advanced the we are, perhaps they are afraid Christians would believe their theories on the merit of them knowing more than we do...

It seems to me that no matter what ritual or belief any of us have, when we drop all of it away to get to the very source, all that is left is pure God. The more advanced in intelligence, knowledge and experiences we races of people become, the more simple and direct our understanding of life and God becomes.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan

No other races of people have any similar concept of "evil" that we humans have in our dogma.

Lady Earthsister, could you clarify your statement? Surely the concept of good/evil-light/dark-right/wrong, is at some level a universal concept.

Der Kapitan

Sure. Before we knew what made people behave "bad" and "bad" things to happen we assumed there was some invisible being of intelligent force that was causing it. Now we are intelligent enough to know there are no such thing as bogeymen, but our religious loyalties persist anyway. We have assigned misfortune and ill-will a life of their own and made them the opposite forces of goodness and morality "in our own minds."

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthSister

It seems to me that no matter what ritual or belief any of us have, when we drop all of it away to get to the very source, all that is left is pure God. The more advanced in intelligence, knowledge and experiences we races of people become, the more simple and direct our understanding of life and God becomes.

We so not know that to be true of other species at all...on the contrary...of those abducted, which we have no proof either other than those us that have been know what we know, many reports are that they, the aliens, created much of our religion....

EDIT...anyway, the staement was in response to one possibility as to why the church put the information it did out concerning ET not undermining Christainity...

[edit on 8/17/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Sure. Before we knew what made people behave "bad" and "bad" things to happen we assumed there was some invisible being of intelligent force that was causing it. Now we are intelligent enough to know there are no such thing as bogeymen, but our religious loyalties persist anyway. We have assigned misfortune and ill-will a life of their own and made them the opposite forces of goodness and morality "in our own minds."

Thank you, I understand now, and I agree.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

We so not know that to be true of other species at all...on the contrary...of those abducted, which we have no proof either other than those us that have been know what we know, many reports are that they, the aliens, created much of our religion....

EDIT...anyway, the staement was in response to one possibility as to why the church put the information it did out concerning ET not undermining Christainity...

Some of us do know some things more than others know. Not all alien experiencers are the same. When a lot of people witness something far advanced and think the same thing about it, that only means the witnesses are a lot alike. Humans have a common way of assumption.

The races of people that visited Earth are all "much" further advanced and evolved than we are, and the advancement of intelligence, knowledge and experience cuts through the things we assume about things we cannot understand yet. This is true for all races. The point I meant to make was that there are no similar level of beliefs to be adopted from our visiting races-- there is only a broader understanding that straightens them out.

I understand the assumption that alien races have created our religions. I believe that when earlier humans witnessed alien life, they adopted what they assumed of them into their religious beliefs. Every spiritual or technological event was somehow religious to them. That was not the fault or teaching of the alien races. What humans think of what they witness has made it very difficult for other life to approach us. At this point now, it should be a lot easier.

I understood your statement and was adding to it. I wasn't very direct, sorry about that.

added: Some of Christian beliefs need to be undermined but we will do that ourselves and already are. We don't have to undermine Christianity itself. Our religions have been evolving with us all along. Any further, broader perspectives we gain as a race from the introduction of the existence of other life forms into our understandings, we will accept ourselves as well. The alien races do not hand out sets of blind rules like our religious leaders do. If they did, we would not have some of the horrible beliefs we have.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by EarthSister]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthSister
Now we are intelligent enough to know there are no such thing as bogeymen, but our religious loyalties persist anyway.

No bogeyman??? Then who the heck is under my bed?!?!

esther

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There is a basic riddle to all life everywhere,

Life can not come from death, those of the living can not know death, for Death exists only after life has passed on.

Alien, et, plant, animal, human, who has came back from Death to speak about life?

If an Alien dies, then how could it become alive to converse with those of the living to communicate about Death. For Death cannot exist in the living. For the living can not know Death.

Therefor, NO ONE, except GOD knows what Death is. Only GOD can bring life, GOD can return someone to the living if GOD chooses, but GOD can not return to the living someone/something that Knows Death.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join