It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This looks bad, coming from the Sun...but is it really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I saw this and wonder if it is as bad as it looks?

spaceweather.com...

It looks like the flare will reach us in a couple of days but is it as bad as it looks here? I don't know a whole lot about the sun or what it's doing but if anyone can enlighten me and the rest of us, I'd be grateful.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

2000Z, August 3, 2011 - The protons have trickled in at GOES, but at a low level. Seemingly the Solar Radiation Storm threat is off the table, at least for now. The protons may again increase with the arrival of the shock driven by the CME that left the Sun yesterday. That arrival is expected very late August 4 (UTC) or early August 5th. The R2 (Moderate) Radio Blackout of today (1348Z max) was accompanied by yet another earthbound CME. That one is anticipated to pass earth on August 7th. Early indications are that G1 (Minor) Geomagnetic Storming is most likely the extent of it. Watch here for more.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
I just read the top news of the day at top, but will take some time to figure out your link looks great, thanks.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I saw another post on ATS concerning solar activity very recently (I'll update if I find it) I'm a newbie on here, but what you posted is very concerning. I think we may actually be at threat here on planet Earth (aren't we always). I was actually just looking up seismic activity and noticed that a lot more activity has been going on than what is reported. I scanned news networks such as MSNBC and FOX and they had nothing about the solar flaring or the seismic activity (We're talking 6.0 magnitude and higher earthquakes here) at all. I know the seismic stuff is a bit off topic, but it's still very sad that you don't hear much of it. I'd look more into it. Thank you for this thread, I'd look more into it but hey if we die we die. We can just make the ascention process faster! Peace!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Well it just depends i think on the polarity it hits us with.
Thats what ive heard at least from my looking into the matter

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
the animated diagramms are 2 dimensional. it looks like it will hit earth, but maybe in weak form.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
That's a CME, not a flare. It doesn't look bad.

That CME will reach us in a couple of days but it does not seem to be very strong. There is a slight chance of minor geomagnetic storm activity.

There was a stronger CME today which might produce a bit more activity when it arrives.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I forget where I watched the information from now but basically NASA research had shown that CME's don't need a specific magnetic pole in order to lock in with the Earth's EMF. near the equator line they were able to just switch to suit to "connect up" with the Earth's EMF creating a rather large hole in our protective EMF that stops CME's from doing their worst. This has been apparently going on for a long time too. Really wish i could remember where I found that stuff though grr :s may re-google for it if interest is high enough in the research.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxCavalera

You're talking about the infamous "breaches" in the magnetosphere which have been severely misunderstood. It was found in 2007 that magnetic reconnections could occur with a north turn of the solar wind. While this had been theorized, it was not until the THEMIS probes were launched that it was actually observed. Unlike the more typical south turn reconnections, these occur in the sunward regions of the magnetosphere.

As a result of this reconnection, the magnetosphere is able to collect solar particles from the solar wind but a northern solar wind will not cause geomagnetic storms.

science.nasa.gov...

edit on 8/3/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Im very curious as to what this graph and data represent, myself. Anyone enlighten us?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Judging that it was only am M class flare, it does not seem very concerning. See This link

The fact that the CME's were earth directed raises the stakes a slight amount, but M class flares and resultant CMEs are fairly common. We have been hit by more than a handful of these in the recent past, so there is nothing to worry about.

These type of events cause the aurora borealis, there may be some minor radio interference in the northern latitudes, but dont expect any earth changing events, or damage, or anything serious for that matter.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
when you see this:

RUN!,,,,,,,,,,

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
^^^^ it look like Sauron's eye in the lord of the rings movie

for some reasons, i sense something terrible about next sunspot, gonna be #1264, not 1260,1261,1263.
edit on 4-8-2011 by whiteblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
spaceweather.com...

DOOM switch engage..

"The size and broiling movement of these sunspots just boggles the mind," he says. "You could fit every planet in the solar system with all of the known asteroids neatly inside the largest group...wow!"

new topics

top topics

join