It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking To Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I searched for these videos on ATS but found no results, so if they're already posted here, my bad! But I believe even if they are, this deserves a second look.

I remember watching the Rick Mercer Report here in Canada a few years ago and hearing the stupidest comments I've ever heard. The segment was called, 'Talking To Americans' and it was basically Rick Mercer asking questions to Americans and waiting for their answers. Now I know he's only showing the funniest and stupidest answers he got, but the one thing that really bothered me is that at one point he's talking with Mike Huckabee and .. well, I won't ruin it but it really paints a horrible picture for the presidential candidate (I still can't believe he's an actual candidate after watching these videos).

www.youtube.com... Part 1

www.youtube.com... Part 2

www.youtube.com... Part 3

www.youtube.com... Part 4

www.youtube.com... Part 5

These videos contain the original commericals in them so you might have to skip a few minutes.

Please tell me this is NOT the way most Americans think of Canada! As a Canadian, it is funny to hear these responses but it is also offensive to know that Americans think we have polar bear chases and igloos and etc etc...

-Jimmy-

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy910130

Huckabee dropped out of the race early....Thank God!

Maybe he realized he makes more money as a pundit.

Of course I talk to Americans all the time and find many of them to be clueless as to how the world turns.

Pretty much like any other country. You have your individuals who can think for themselves, and then those who try to make you think that they can think.

edit on 3-8-2011 by TDawgRex because: Bigga Fingas!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
And Bush said if he was elected he would take up on Rick's invite to meet with prime minister Jean Poutine...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

The ironic part of it is when I first saw the Report, I wasn,t a member of ATS, and then a few years later when I joined I got to meet many Americans and they're some of smartest people I know.

But here in Canada we got are share of idiots. I'd even be willing to say more per caita then the states.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm American and everything I know about canada I learned from sctv, the movie strange brew and that john candy movie. I'm that stupid!

Give me a break. I could run up there and make a video of thousands (o.k. maybe hundreds....canada doesn't have that many people.....duh...) of people answering questions and make the entire country look like idiots. Wouldn't mean that they are. I could do the same to any country. The only difference is I am not ignorant enough to then run to the internet post that I hope it doesn't mean all from whatever country are that stupid.

So yeah, I didn't think anything about canada based on the idiots in this video....but based on the ignorance of a canadian that caused this thread.....that is a different story.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Wrong post...Opps!

edit on 3-8-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy910130

I am one of those idiots who walks into a bar and immediately gravitates towards those talking the two no-no's in bars. Politics and religion. Yet somehow I survive...and get free drinks out of it.

Maybe I'm not such a idiot after all.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

Thing is I didn't say 'I hope that not everyone from the US is that stupid' I said, 'I hope that not all americans think of Canada this way'
And I also mentioned that of course he only showed the funny responses he got, which means that of course you could do the same in every other country. I haven't been down to the states as much as I would like, but I would never base my opinion of it solely on one person, unlike you who just formed a negative perception of Canada because of -one- person (me).

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Reply to post by Jimmy910130

Nah....I love Canada. I fish there twice a year. I have never met a jerk like me there....everyone is so nice. What I find funny is a lot of us Americans are ignorant enough to confuse niceness and courtesy with stupidity.

Heard and good newfy jokes lately?

edit on 3-8-2011 by MainLineThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This segment of 22 minutes was one of my favourites. Although it is obvious that not all Americans are like that, the general population of older generations did not have very much geographic or historical education about anything outside of the country. It's getting better as American education gets more funding, and you can see that in one of the segments that I remember where Rick Mercer was talking to a mother and her young son who was probably between 7 and 10 years old, it went something like this:

Mercer: So, how many states do you think Canada has?

Mother: Oh, um, probably about ....

Son: MOM!?! Canada has PROVINCES!

The lack of education about Canada is what makes it so funny in contrast to how much we know about the US from their media, and it's how Mercer can get them to say things like:

"Congratulations Canada on getting your first 'woody'!"

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOrangeBrood

Well, don't leave me hanging...how many states does Canada have? I'm too lazy to google it......lol.

top topics

join