It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Humans recieve equal rights?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
Absolutly NOT! A.I. can be repaired or rebuilt and humans cannot.

Only for significantly retrograde levels of technology.

The ability to "repair" the human organism goes hand in hand with the technology required by hard AI and that can "enhance" human beings.

The future will blur out the differences between pure AI and enhanced human.

Interesting. You're right, this probably is our future. God makes man. Man makes machine. Man makes man-machine. Man-machine makes man obsolete.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

AI won't feel pain unless we had that capability inserted too.

So what if we do so? Of course if the AI is not true strong AI, then it doesnt need to have rights, but OPs assumption is that it is.
Should sentient AI which mind is in every way identical to human mind (or even more advanced) be protected as we are? That is the question. I think yes.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
i don't think they should receive equal rights they are no the same as humans so why give them the same rights has no one seen the movie I robot

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by 547000

AI won't feel pain unless we had that capability inserted too.

So what if we do so? Of course if the AI is not true strong AI, then it doesnt need to have rights, but OPs assumption is that it is.
Should sentient AI which mind is in every way identical to human mind (or even more advanced) be protected as we are? That is the question. I think yes.

Well, how exactly can we prove AI can think? Passing the Turing test does not mean it can think. To all, but the designer, it will be appear to think. But mere appearance is not the same thing as the real thing.

How can we show sentience? Indetermancy is one of the only ways I can see this happening.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

How can we show sentience?

Yes, that is the problem with AI designed from scratch, and I agree proving such AI is truly sentient would be very hard.

But this problem does not exist with AI which is a simulation of a human brain neural network in silico. We already know our brains are sentient. This AI will work identical to our brain, so it will be equally sentient too. We dont even need to know what makes the brain sentient, we just need to copy its neural network. All it requires is mapping brain synapses, and a lot of processing power. If anything else fails, this brute force approach will surely produce sentient AI.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Well, I guess so.

I still think it's foolish to create a machine which replicates human behavior. Humans are capable of many terrible things.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well, how do we know that -we- are sentient beings?

We are programmed, our original thoughts are simply crossreferencing other known concepts previously programmed...there is no such thing as original thoughts actually...everything we know and think about is based on previous programming.

So, if that is the measure of being self aware, then I would suggest the second a robot can on the fly creatively cross reference things to produce unique perspectives (new stuff), is the moment it is arguably the moment of starting sentience.

Every argument for the biological machine can be also said about the mechanical machine..what makes us any better than a strong AI?

I think this is also pretty moot...we will without a doubt be augmented so we are always one step ahead of our strong AI though...to a point. The best AI chips will end up being plugged into us anyhow, so it will almost be like a symbiotic relationship of our personality and their processing ability.

I forsee a day when most offspring isn't even based on the biological though...imagine the ability to recreate and download an entire personality...you may end up raising your son or daughter in a virtual world to begin with, then when they are old enough, a genetic body is created for it and the personality downloaded into said body, no different than any other person.
Ponder that one for awhile...what would the point be? Imagine keeping your son or daughter 10 years old for 200 years just out of enjoyment (for instance) in a virtual world, or simply zipping all the younger ages by and focusing in on them as they hit their teen years

The future is wild with ideas..we have barely started towards what I would consider to be an advanced society...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Well, I guess so.

I still think it's foolish to create a machine which replicates human behavior. Humans are capable of many terrible things.

I think the machine desired would be the idealistic human behavior, not the common human behavior (I don't see many "redneck" robots...except on futurama of course)

Of course, a AI that had all the worse traits of humanity will probably created first, after all, the military black budget is the largest focused tech company in existance...so yes, our first true AI may in fact be holding a gun so to speak...this is the sad nature that humans have made for themselves...hopefully though the machines can teach us (or force us) to stop the madness we perpetuate

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

UH OH Somebody's been watching way to many Sci-Fi Movies!
Reality seems to be the only blur regarding this subject. IMHO Of course! I do hate to spoil your little fantasies but this just isn't going to happen.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS

UH OH Somebody's been watching way to many Sci-Fi Movies!
Reality seems to be the only blur regarding this subject. IMHO Of course! I do hate to spoil your little fantasies but this just isn't going to happen.

Current technological science fact finds its roots in science fiction

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Narnia is real too. Remember, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishible from magic, so fantasy books could also happen.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Worse still, what happens if they come to resent the living?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by smithjustinb

Narnia is real too. Remember, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishible from magic, so fantasy books could also happen.

You mean talking animals? lol.

Actually, if we found a lesser evolved civilization on another planet who used language as communication, we would call them talking animals.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Heres the difference, A.i. is well, intelligent and meat heads are retarded.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Bicentennial man, C3PO, R2D2, maybe the 7million dollar man would be out too?
Seriously, born biologically? Who knows. Blade runner??? Who decides?
edit on 16-3-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join