It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish man caught trying to split atoms at home

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamwatcher

I guess you did not do much research either, as COAL ASH gives off much more radiation than a nuclear power plant.

Over the past few decades, however, a series of studies has called these stereotypes into question. Among the surprising conclusions: the waste produced by coal plants is actually more radioactive than that generated by their nuclear counterparts. In fact, the fly ash emitted by a power plant—a by-product from burning coal for electricity—carries into the surrounding environment 100 times more radiation than a nuclear power plant producing the same amount of energy.

Scientific American

and on top of that you have the CO2, the mercury, tar, cyanide, etc - in fact your "average" 500MW coal fired plant generates the following every year:

A Case Study: The Side Effects of a Coal Plant
A 500 megawatt coal plant produces 3.5 billion kilowatt-hours per year, enough to power a city of about 140,000 people. It burns 1,430,000 tons of coal, uses 2.2 billion gallons of water and 146,000 tons of limestone.

It also puts out, each year:

10,000 tons of sulfur dioxide. Sulfur dioxide (SOx) is the main cause of acid rain, which damages forests, lakes and buildings.

10,200 tons of nitrogen oxide. Nitrogen oxide (NOx) is a major cause of smog, and also a cause of acid rain.

3.7 million tons of carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the main greenhouse gas, and is the leading cause of global warming. There are no regulations limiting carbon dioxide emissions in the U.S.

500 tons of small particles. Small particulates are a health hazard, causing lung damage. Particulates smaller than 10 microns are not regulated, but may be soon.

220 tons of hydrocarbons. Fossil fuels are made of hydrocarbons; when they don't burn completely, they are released into the air. They are a cause of smog.

720 tons of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas and contributor to global warming.

125,000 tons of ash and 193,000 tons of sludge from the smokestack scrubber. A scrubber uses powdered limestone and water to remove pollution from the plant's exhaust. Instead of going into the air, the pollution goes into a landfill or into products like concrete and drywall. This ash and sludge consists of coal ash, limestone, and many pollutants, such as toxic metals like lead and mercury.

225 pounds of arsenic, 114 pounds of lead, 4 pounds of cadmium, and many other toxic heavy metals. Mercury emissions from coal plants are suspected of contaminating lakes and rivers in northern and northeast states and Canada. In Wisconsin alone, more than 200 lakes and rivers are contaminated with mercury. Health officials warn against eating fish caught in these waters, since mercury can cause birth defects, brain damage and other ailments. Acid rain also causes mercury poisoning by leaching mercury from rocks and making it available in a form that can be taken up by organisms.

Trace elements of uranium. All but 16 of the 92 naturally occurring elements have been detected in coal, mostly as trace elements below 0.1 percent (1,000 parts per million, or ppm). A study by DOE's Oak Ridge National Lab found that radioactive emissions from coal combustion are greater than those from nuclear power production.
The 2.2 billion gallons of water it uses for cooling is raised 16 degrees F on average before being discharged into a lake or river. By warming the water year-round it changes the habitat of that body of water.

www.ucsusa.org...

Nuclear power is positively green compared to coal!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
And im sure if you did any research into nuclear power you would realise building a nuclear power station on a fault line in a heavy populated area with 40 year old technology was probably a bad idea?

Building one anywhere on Earth is a bad idea. Your argument is like saying "well, putting oily rags next to a gas can and matches is OBVIOUSLY bad in a welding shop! DUH!" The fact that it's more stupid in the welding shop doesn't change the fact that it's bad and stupid anywhere.

I can think of where fission power would be fine. Other large celestial bodies which are not Earth, where no humans will ever want to live.

Originally posted by Johnze
Look man you clearly have some mad axe to grind, thats cool, but personaly nuclear energy is not the most stupid thing imagineable, it is infact one of the finest achievements a civilization could develop. However the cost of implementing it safely is simply a cost that energy firms do not concern themselves with. But to say the technology itself is stupid, simply because of short sighted greed by a few, is, well its kinda stupid.

Since all corporations and governments are inherently corrupt by design, humans cannot ever safely have a nuclear power plant. That is why it is a terrible thing for you to support it in any way. We do not live in idealist fantasy world, where we have glasses which can see radioisotopes all over our lawns and in our water supply, where we have the ability to clean massive areas of land from radioactive contamination which lasts thousands of years, or where regulatory agencies care one iota about our safety. Since none of those things are true in reality, nuclear (fission) power is one of the worst ideas of mankind. I am a man of science, and am truly appalled that others who call themselves men of science could not see how painfully stupid it is.

Now if you can design a cold fusion plant, with no chance of meltdown and no deadly isotope byproducts by design -- that would be fantastic.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
DDAAMMNN! wow! i used to joke about doing things like this, but never. 2 problems...all 3 elements are radioactive!! the other, is WHERE did he get the uranium from? its not like yuo can jsut waltz into a uranium mine ...let alone pick up peice scattered around without being contaminated*
man, i used ot joke about doing this time to time, making another manhattan project, but for someone to have the same idea and literally seperate the atoms..thats crazy

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Man, a little bit of knowledge can really be a dangerous thing. I am glad that the amount of plutonium needed to split an atom is very hard to obtain.

Jeez, I couldn't agree more.

As if there isn't ENOUGH going on to worry yourself into a catatonic state, now I ALSO need to worry about CIVILIANS CREATING NUCLEAR DISASTERS IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS!?

I certainly never expected to read something like this, and just think of how many people are in the world... the odds have got to be pretty dang low that he is the ONLY mad scientist cooking up a batch of plutonium tonight on his stove burner with tin foil on it. (-.- )

reply to post by Observer99

Aww man, great great post, and I totally agree with you in all of them.

I also think that whatever covert stuff is going on over at CERN is going to come back to haunt us as well.

Science has developed wildly out of control because there is nobody to stop them. They have free reign to do whatever they want at whatever cost to the planet and the people, with nobody governing over them to say, hey, wait, DON'T do that horribly destructive thing just for an experiement.

Nuclear Plants have already proven time and time again just how unsafe and unsound they are, and I have no doubt that CERN will end up the same way, in total chaos and disaster.
edit on 8/4/2011 by DieBravely because: still because I'm dumb

Originally posted by Max_TO
Ok got to ask , how the he'll did he get the radioactive material to work with ?

That's a question the Swedish police are probably pretty interested in as well.

I also wonder just how far this experiment of his would have gone if nobody had caught on and intervened. He could have eventually set up a miniature Chernobyl or Fukushima in a neighborhood full of unsuspecting people.
edit on 8/4/2011 by DieBravely because: adding more

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Damn it, I'm sorry, I keep forgetting to edit my posts together instead of double posting.
edit on 8/4/2011 by DieBravely because: Because I'm dumb

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
He aint got nothin on Bob Lazar

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
www.unitednuclear.com...

buy all the radioactive ore or isotopes you want. assuming they are in stock that is. its quite easy to get a hold of bulk radioactive materials.

thankfully i have more common sense then to do that sort of thing at home. although, it would be interesting to do some tests with.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I wish there was more people with this mad-scientist + curiosity skills... I in fact appreciate a lot this guy or those who are building back-yard space shuttles and all that stuff. MAKE Magazine Extremists

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Why do I get a vision of a guy in a lab coat bending over a microscope, holding a hammer and chisel?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Look, the whole freedom thing is dandy, but splitting atoms, as we all know, could result in some rather large explosive problems. This guy needs to be taught a lesson. It's kind of sad to see how much ATS has devolved into some psyedo-anarchist forum. Everything from atom splitting, fully automatic machine guns on high school campuses, and drunk driving should be legal. Alot of people here need to get their heads checked.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
This is crazy, we need to ban this again.

Of course criminals don't obey the laws so next time this happens we will have to ban them thrice. That should put an end to this.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
The guy couldn't split his pants, please.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
lol...for some reason I imagine him looking and acting like " Doc " from back to the future

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Funny or not, I respect the man for doing things on his own outside the supervision of the government. The government is shoving its nose in everything, the same government that allows Alcohol to kill thousands and thousands of people in car crashes, is acting like it cares for the safety of people by banning people to conduct experiments and observe the world through their own experiments.

The same government that uses chemical weapons on other nations is acting like it cares for the safety of people by banning experiments.

Maybe we should all conduct our own experiments rather than blindly believing other people's observations.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
It could have been worse...

He could have been trying to split the cheese.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Those swedes, will do anything to save a nickle. Make your own nuclear reactor.....he he jump in man were not like the rest.....we're your friends.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
the police the police did the right thing. he shouldnt be doing this! lool

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

huh? drunk driving is illegal? Dont tell me its all a conspiracy or that the govt should ban people from drinking like they should be able to tell us whats best for us?!?!
edit on 02/02/1987 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak
reply to post by jibeho

Funny or not, I respect the man for doing things on his own outside the supervision of the government. The government is shoving its nose in everything, the same government that allows Alcohol to kill thousands and thousands of people in car crashes, is acting like it cares for the safety of people by banning people to conduct experiments and observe the world through their own experiments.

The same government that uses chemical weapons on other nations is acting like it cares for the safety of people by banning experiments.

Maybe we should all conduct our own experiments rather than blindly believing other people's observations.

I think you read the wrong article. This man in the OP is from Sweden and last I checked the Swedes haven't launched chemical weapons on anyone nor has the US for that matter. Perhaps you're thinking of Saddam Hussein's chemical attack on the Kurds. Chem weapons are a no no and a direct violation of the Geneva Convention.;

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Some people do not have the scientific insight to know that some experiments should only be done in a lab. Like it or not some science is quite dangerous and needs specialized equipment to proceed without sometimes great danger. I would place most organic chemistry, nuclear science and plasma physics in this category.
seed

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join