It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Windows XP SP2 Release Delayed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Microsoft has delay the release of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP again. They have discovered that it is not yet ready due to incompatiblity with certain applications.

www.eweek.com
Monday, August 16, was set to be D-day for the automatic delivery of Microsoft's Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

But at the last minute, the Redmond software vendor decided to push back by at least nine days the Windows Update/Automatic Update launch date for its collection of security fixes and features. Microsoft cited customer demand as the reason for the delay. A number of corporate customers are not ready to deploy SP2 and need to use Microsoft's recently introduced toolkit for temporarily blocking SP2 delivery until they can adequately test the release with their custom and third-party software.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While it is easy to be upset with Microsoft for missing another scheduled delivery date for the much anticipated SP2, it is also nice to see that Microsoft is taking the time to ensure a stable product upon release. Many, many people, myself included, have long blamed Microsoft for rushing products to market to hit that magic window of need versus hype.
I usually try to stay very much on top of software updates, and especially to my OS, but I will wait at least a week before installing this one. Since they have delayed the release at least twice I have mixed feelings, and would like to let others be on the bleeding edge with this update.

[edit on 8-16-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I've got SP2, must say its much improved! Got pop-up blockers and lots of neat stuff! If you want it check out BitTorrent....

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Isn't Bit Torrent just a networked download program. Thats the last thing I need,(a program to download a program)

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

I usually try to stay very much on top of software updates, and especially to my OS, but I will wait at least a week before installing this one. Since they have delayed the release at least twice I have mixed feelings, and would like to let others be on the bleeding edge with this update.

Since this update addresses vulnerability issues wouldn't be better to set a restore point and go ahead and install it? Or is that not possible?

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Erm... BitTorrent is a sort of download program. It's used to download illegal files often but it does have very valid legal uses too. Check out the Azareus client if you want the best BT client, at

prdownloads.sourceforge.net...

Then download the torrent you need to get windows SP2 a good place to find it would be www.suprnova.org

Go to suprnova.org then go to search and search for SP2, and trust me the install is worth it. SP2 adds some great firewall features.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Guys Guys Guys GUUUUUYYSSSS

SP2 itself isn't delayed even for a second. Just goto MS and download it if you want it.

Its the deployment to the automated update and windows updateservices that has been delayed to prevent workstation systems from being updated automaticly before major company's have been able to test the Service Pack for their networks and applications.

This, IMHO, is the fault of those very same company's that requested a delay in deployment to the automated services, since THEY should know that trough network policy's they can temporarly disable automatic updates and they should have that disabled by default anyway and use systems like SMS to deploy validated updates.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I dont think I'll download it. I'm running the original XP updated and a free firewall, pop up blocker, download manager, spyware stopper, more secure browser, etc... My system hasn't crashed in over six months. Why mess with a good thing. I think if I do download it I'll wait about 9 months, maybe a year if at all.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
August 25th is the day that's been rumored for weeks now. On that day it will appear as a Windows Update and Microsoft will be taking CD orders starting on that day. (Good idea for dial-up users). SP2 is a 266MB file (I got it from BitTorrent)

SP2 is a MUST HAVE update for ANY Windows XP User. IT significantly increases security (it is a little annoying, though).

I had SP2 since the 4th.

I'll have more news on SP2 in a little bit... SO STAY TUNED.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
SP2 itself isn't delayed even for a second. Just goto MS and download it if you want it.

Where can we download it from?

I just went to the website and they do not have it there, at least that I could find. They had all kinds of helpful tips on how to prepare your computer for it.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
MS is going to deliver SP2 via Automatic Updates. If you haven't enabled them, you will need to go into the control panel and turn it on. I imagine that you will also be able to download it through Windows Update once it is released offically and legally.

I am sure there are other sources for this update, but my recommendation to you would be to wait until MS puts it out. Software developers are notorious for making last minute updates. Even if the update is only to the installer, which in it's self can be critical to get it right.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Microsoft has delayed the rollout of XP Service Pack Two (SP2) for home users, and some customers will not be able to download it until the end of the month.
The new code was supposed to go out on Microsoft's Automatic Update service on Monday morning US time but this code is now only available for businesses using Windows Software Update Services.

Users with XP Home Edition will be able to access it tomorrow morning US time, but XP Professional will be blocked until the end of the month.

E-Commerce News

It appears that MS is testing the new service pack on some corporate users. Once that is complete, they will roll it out to everyone.

I still stand by my previous statement that I will wait a bit before applying the update. I would rather see the outcome of their testing as successful before I jump into it. If the update is as major as it appears to be, there certainly will be some bugs.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Here's the reason why I will wait, and recommend others as well, to update XP to Service Pack 2.

Microsoft Corp. has issued a hotfix for Windows XP Service Pack 2 to solve a problem about which many users have complained: programs that attempt to connect to loopback addresses other than 127.0.0.1 get error messages.

Also

security researchers are reporting a new vulnerability in SP2 that could allow a malicious Web site to deposit an attack program on a user's system.

Eweek
Some companies feel the need to be on the bleeding edge of technology, and they are the ones who will uncover these problems. For those who have the option of time, I would always recommend letting others do your dirty work.

top topics

join