It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capability of Placebo's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hi there, I would like to ask you about capabilities of Placebo's. What everything have placebo's cured and what were the most amazing cases and results?
For those of you who do not know what placebo's are, they are sugar pills which do not have any effects, however, patients personal belief which was installed to him by a doctor healed the patient from some sort of condition. This proves power of mind over body.
Do you guys have any personal stories? Or stories found on the internet that are amazing?
I found one:

Several studies were conducted on Propecia (finasteride 1mg) to compare its effect with placebo on hair loss or growth. To answer your question, I present the numbers of one study comparing the effect of finasteride with placebo in the growth of crown hair. In this study, hair growth was compared over a period of 5 years. In this experiment, initially investigators evaluated patients’ hair growth and came up with the below numbers:
Finasteride Placebo
1 Year 65% 37%
2 Year 80% 47%
5 Year 77% 15%
The same study was repeated, but this time an independent team of investigators rated standardized photos in a blinded fashion (reviewers were not aware which patient took finasteride or placebo). The numbers were different, but still statistically significant as shown below:
Finasteride Placebo
1 Year 48% 7%
2 Year 66% 7%
5 Year 48% 6%
There are some other studies looking at different aspects of hair growth and as a result you may see different numbers. In clinical studies, you may find different numbers presenting the same facts, but if you go to the detail of the study, you will notice that they are not necessarily concentrating on the same parameters. The difficult element not covered by these studies is the ability for finasteride to arrest the hair loss (stop or slow its rate of loss). I am personally certain (in my professional opinion) that finasteride reduces the rate of loss in all men with genetic hair loss.

Propecia vs Placebo

Apparently, mind has power to stop hair loss and regrow hair back. I find this to be most amazing discovery
. Actually, there is one more file that supports this same case. People were able to regrow their hair back through hypnosis. I find this amazing. Look on page 324 and onwards:
Hypnosis and hair regrowth

edit on 3-8-2011 by Farnhold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

It's just 'belief', plain and simple. It's the power behind prayer, manifesting, magick, Batman.. you name it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Indeed. Belief is very powerful, however, I am trying to explore how far can belief go and what everything it's capable of.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Most of the medication you pay for is a placebo.

They even sell placebo narcotics to cancer patients...isn't that sick?

Google "Purdue Pharma Placebo Oxycontin"

It's a shame people suffering in pain from cancer have to suffer and die such horrific deaths and we can't even give them real narcotics to have their last days in lower pain.

There is NO Federal Law prohibiting Pharmacuticals/Doctors/Pharmacists from giving you placebo's.

How do you think Pharmacuticals have big stashes of cash to send Doctors and Politicians on sweet vacations or give them large chunks of cash?

The biggest drug dealer in the world has been robbing Americans.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Most of the medication you pay for is a placebo.

They even sell placebo narcotics to cancer patients...isn't that sick?

Google "Purdue Pharma Placebo Oxycontin"

It's a shame people suffering in pain from cancer have to suffer and die such horrific deaths and we can't even give them real narcotics to have their last days in lower pain.

There is NO Federal Law prohibiting Pharmacuticals/Doctors/Pharmacists from giving you placebo's.

How do you think Pharmacuticals have big stashes of cash to send Doctors and Politicians on sweet vacations or give them large chunks of cash?

The biggest drug dealer in the world has been robbing Americans.
A good way to know if their are placebo is to get high or try to. I've never been a placebo medication so I have no idea or experience how common it is to receive them. You'd think there would be more information about it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Yeah, placebos can have surprisingly positive results, but how about if the medicine itself was able to help that along. That's why I like animal studies. An animal is not going to respond to a placebo, so if you get good results from a medication tested on animals, you don't have to rely on a placebo effect to do the heavy lifting.

top topics

join