It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Krakatoa emits ash plume!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackbird1973

From what I read recently, we had only just started making any sort of records when Krakatoa blew. As Tambora was just before then, not a lot of 'records'. However from what I read about Tambora.....it was huge compared to Krakatoa. But then Tambora is a super volcano! It holds the record for the worlds largest ever eruption (so no need to worry about Yellowstone then!) Here's an iteresting link

volcanoes.usgs.gov...
This article does indeed atribute Tambora with the "year without summer". The article/interview is not long, WELL WORTH A READ BY EVERYONE, and yes even has a bit of 'conspiracy' about sulphur emissions to control the weather for conspiracy theorists!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Several years ago I found a Dutch geology magazine from 1884 and apparently a scientist seriously suggested that the Krakatoa eruption had been caused by a cloud of dust/aether in space near the Earth
He would have been close if there had been solar eruptions aimed at earth but i don't know if there's information about those years. And provided there IS a link between tectonics and solar activity of course.
Geology certainly caught up quickly after that eruption. The article about Krakatoa also mentioned several expeditions to the former island by non-Dutch naval vessels for research purposes.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Blimmey! Hope you've still got that mag......could be worth a mint! Not just monetary speaking, but to geologists, sounds interesting!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I doubt if it's really valuable but the content is absolutely fascinating. There is even an original map of the (former) island Krakatoa - before and after the eruption. It also mentions abnormal high temperatures in the Gulf Stream, abnormal drought in Australia and a new volcanic island near Iceland (all in 1884!). Nothing really new if I compare this to the Fragile Earth forum

According to this book the Krakatoa was considered to be sleeping or even extinct until the eruption. Afterwards they found German records from 1680 about another eruption. It really pays to be well-informed.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Hmmmm.....so every 200 odd years then! Ooops!
Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join