It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Krakatoa emits ash plume!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
here is the link to the report
thewatchers.adorraeli.com...
This was recorded by satelite on 31st July....I cannot find any updates or seismo reports for any follow up info. Anybody here got links or updates of what has happened since. I appreciate it obviously hasn't 'blown'...we'd certainly know about that!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

ohh look at the pretty lights

for adults
this one scares the @#$% out of me sorry but it does.

edit on 3-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

quote "On July 31, 2011, a wispy ash plume rose above the volcano and drifted west. The natural-colour satellite image was acquired by the Advanced Land Imager (ALI) aboard Earth Observing-1 (EO-1). Dark gray areas of Anak Krakatau are composed principally of lava flows deposited in the 1970s, ’80s, and ’90s. These flows are topped by a young cinder cone near the center of the island. Green vegetation covers older lavas along the eastern coastline. NASA image by Jesse Allen and Robert Simmon, using data from the Advanced Land Imager (ALI) aboard the Earth Observing-1 (EO-1) satellite."
unquote
edit on 3-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Oh man...if that thing blows its gonna gonna be devastatingly beautiful. it was bad news the last time it blew up.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Still can't find updates since the plume on 31st...is it still emitting ash? Has there been any EQ's around it?.........PuterMan!!??
Rainbows
jane

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
so is this the one that was responsable for that huge die off and almost killing everything alive for a long long time or do i have this one confused with yellowstone

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Krakatoa erupted in 1883. It was a large eruption, and it was responsible for at least 35,000 deaths...but it's only global effect was on the climate the following year, causing, on average, barely more than a 1-degree drop in temperatures.

Unless you live on the island or in its immediate vicinity, I wouldn't be too concerned.
edit on 3-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
so is this the one that was responsable for that huge die off and almost killing everything alive for a long long time or do i have this one confused with yellowstone

Yes you do have it wrong...thank goodness! although it's last eruption killed some 40,000 people, the noise was heard as far away as europe...here's a link for you

en.wikipedia.org...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG

I think that was Toba

Toba Catastrophe Theory

Although the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa was catastrophic on the island and surrounding areas.

Wiki about Krakatoa and Anak Krakatau

edit on 3-8-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here is a cool picture of Krakatoa from last year. It's still my desktop wallpaper.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Beautiful photo Aggy.

Krakatoa, Etna.... blimey. They all seem to be sparking off, of late. I seriously hope we aren't seeing an upward trend.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

That's my desktop wallpaper too!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

This one's never blown up. This is actually the "baby" of the original Krakatoa. The new volcano formed in the aftermath of the eruption of 1883. Thus the name Anak Krakatau. Of course its no "baby" as volcanos go but you get the gist.
edit on 3-8-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Krakatoa erupted in 1883. It was a large eruption, and it was responsible for at least 35,000 deaths...but it's only global effect was on the climate the following year, causing, on average, barely more than a 1-degree drop in temperatures.

Unless you live on the island or in its immediate vicinity, I wouldn't be too concerned.
edit on 3-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

You are incorrect sir. When Mt. Pinatubo blew in the 90's it lowered the global temperature by 2 degrees for 2 years and it was minor compared to this one. I'd expect about a 4-6 global cooling when this guy goes.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Okay. Now, what was I incorrect about?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by kro32

Okay. Now, what was I incorrect about?

Yeah, what were you incorrect about? I can't figure.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Sorry I often finish my thoughts before typing.

My point was that since the 1883 eruption was significantly largher than Pinatubo, and this is verified from geological evidence, than it stands to reason that the temperature should have dropped significantly lower than the the Pinatubo eruption.

However I have not looked at the Ash records for Krakatoa so that could possibly explain the difference but I highly doubt the ash amount was lower than Pinatubo was. I believe your source for the temperature drop from 1883 may have been incorrect.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The 1-degree drop was the global average over the 5 years following the Krakatoa eruption. In the year immediately following the eruption, it very well could have been a several-degree drop.
In fact, it probably was, since 1884 was called the year without a summer.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Sounds good to me. I hadn't looked at the information yet but that sounds reasonable for a 5-year period.

Thanks for clearing it up .

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

You don't rest, do you kro.... wassup?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
So 1884 also didn't have a summer? I always thought that the Tambora caused the 'year without a summer' in 1816 but apparently there are more contestants for that title.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join