It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what was the last original song/band that you remember?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

yes, you have some great musical inclinations... another of my all time favorite songs would definitely be one by metallica - www.youtube.com...

and korn also masterminds and quite original.
yes i saw tool in ohio a few years back, right after they released 10,000 days... one of the most powerful concerts i've ever been to, about half way through it everyone in the auditorium was standing and chanting, it was quite ritualistic and i'm pretty sure if maynard had asked us to start world war III, we would have (not really, but i think you get what i mean)... such a great vibe that night
edit on 3-8-2011 by schitzoandro because: grammatical

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Sshhhhh... I snuk on because I can't resist.
Here are some of my favorites, hope you enjoy!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro

yes, you have some great musical inclinations... another of my all time favorite songs would definitely be one by metallica - www.youtube.com...

and korn also masterminds and quite original.
yes i saw tool in ohio a few years back, right after they released 10,000 days... one of the most powerful concerts i've ever been to, about half way through it everyone in the auditorium was standing and chanting, it was quite ritualistic and i'm pretty sure if maynard had asked us to start world war III, we would have (not really, but i think you get what i mean)... such a great vibe that night
edit on 3-8-2011 by schitzoandro because: grammatical

Yes! Exactly, Maynard has some kind of crazy powerful influence at people at the concerts. My experiences were the same... very ritualistic. At one point he walked off the stage. He kept singing but from behind the stage, you couldn't even see him, no one cared. It was awesome.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

the links aren't there ):

and i will keep quiet,
because yeah i'm not supposed to youtube either, thankfully the attorney i work for is a huge conspiracy theorist so at least i don't have a problem being on ATS all day!

yeah, maynard had jeans and a cowboy hat on, and he stood in the same place the whole time, one leg straight out in front and leaning back, i tried to hold that pose in the mirror one day while i sang a song to myself, and i couldn't hold the pose through one song!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
No links? Oh for cryin out loud! Sorry about that, I'll try again later

What about the new tune by "Hurt" called "Ten Ton Brick". Look it up, give it a listen, lemme know what you think. That's cool about your boss. I think Maynard is a conspiracy theorist too

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Extremely original and unusual (The last 2 have amazing videos too)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

www.youtube.com...

i like that very much, it has great tone and a great guitar riff going on, very nice
:bash:
edit on 3-8-2011 by schitzoandro because: add emoticon

dagnabbit, i can't remember the head bang emo.. haha, so it's a couple banging each other's heads, guess that'll have to do
edit on 3-8-2011 by schitzoandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

wow, no doubt, very original and very unusual... has an intoxicating sound to it, and the videos, very much put you in a trance... nice addition

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
And how about the Mudvayne - Under and Over It. That's a good one too

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
reply to post by blupblup

wow, no doubt, very original and very unusual... has an intoxicating sound to it, and the videos, very much put you in a trance... nice addition

edit on 3-8-2011 by Skorpiogurl because: n

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Animals As Leaders

This is a purely instrumental band consisting of 2 8-string guitar players and a drummer. The lead guitar player Tosin Abasi is the next Jimi Hendrix in my opinion, honestly he has nothing on this guy. If this music doesn't excite you then your intelligence and appreciation for music must not be an adequate level. If only i knew how to post a video... but seriously check it out.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xM0J0xJ0J0x
Animals As Leaders

This is a purely instrumental band consisting of 2 8-string guitar players and a drummer. The lead guitar player Tosin Abasi is the next Jimi Hendrix in my opinion, honestly he has nothing on this guy. If this music doesn't excite you then your intelligence and appreciation for music must not be an adequate level. If only i knew how to post a video... but seriously check it out.

Nice. Sweetass guitar too. Reminds me of Led Zepplin (for obvious reasons).

He's quite an artist.

Around 2:41 kind of reminds me of Van Halen. Old Van Halen.
Then Chili Peppers at around 2:52.

I wonder who his influences are?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

Glad you liked them.... and yes, very hypnotic and different.

You should get/download the album, It's fantastic and such a great mix of stuff.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Last original band i remember.....

Pixies

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Have to also say that this performance from Janelle Monae was absolutely electrifying... just amazing... Oh to be in that crowd.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
There's plenty of great new music coming out all the time your just looking in the wrong places, you wont find them on the radio or on tv, my current favorite new band is Ghost, it's melodic, light and easy to listen to but its very satanic in theme. It kind of reminds of arthur brown mixed blue oyster cult. Plus they sometimes cover the beatles during live performances

Here's the band performing ritual

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
There is plenty of original music out there, if you know where to look. If you rely on your favorite "mainstream" radio stations to provide that original music to you, don't hold your breath. There are a few radio stations out there, but they are few and far between. The average music consumer wants to hear something that is 'catchy' or 'popular', regardless of what that song has to offer in terms of creativity or originality. Most of the 'popular' tunes you hear are just regurgitated songs that you've already heard before. Why? Because they are ripoff's of other song's, written ages ago by someone far more talented. Look at the Black Eyed Peas. I could go on, but I don't want to turn this into a rant or bashing post. Maybe it's already reached that point? Besides, you knew all of this already, right?

Another thing to factor in is the type, or genre of music that you're listening to. If you're limiting yourself, you'll never get to experience certain music genres that could potentially open your mind to yet so much more. Does that make sense?

How far back in music history do you want go? Just because a certain band or artist wasn't popular at the time doesn't mean they weren't revolutionary or original in their musical writing.

Personally, I try to keep an open mind and will give just about any genre of music a fair shake. If it moves me and I connect with it on some level, then great. If not, oh well. I move on, but I still can't help but be a little perplexed as to what gets passed off as music these days and what gets played on the radio and becomes popular.

Depends on your mood, but I will try to provide a little something in several musical genres.

First up:

Isis - If you like Tool, you should hopefully like or at least appreciate Isis. This 'official video' version is unfortunately cut short and doesn't feature the full length album version of the song. Still, you'll get the gist.

Isis- Holy Tears

Want something a little less guitar driven? More of the singer/songwriter stuff? Please listen to Laura Marling. Amazingly talented musician with a hauntingly beautiful voice.

Laura Marling - Ghosts

There are a whole slew of instrumental bands out there that are amazing. Including, Caspian. An instrumental post rock band. Not much more to say. Great band with an awesome approach to music. The build up on this song is great.

Caspian - Moksha

That's all the video links for now. I could go on and on with a long list of bands to give a listen to, but will just leave it as is for now.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Clutch.
second line

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join