It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what was the last original song/band that you remember?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
i am asking this because i feel nearly everything out there today is completely unoriginal, being a lot of blends of older bands and/or songs, and i am deeply saddened by this...

anyways, some of the more original music that i can remember most recently being introduced to (most recently meaning anywhere in the last 5-10 years) would be damien rice, regina spektor, radiohead and portishead.

anyone have any thoughts? don't get me wrong, the best is all gone, i truly believe, but there are some that break through the mainstream and have original sound and thought... but i would have to say the drugs and rock n roll era is dead, most original bands having long departed us, groups like pink floyd, the doors, beatles, and a few others, although i am sure there are some older that i can't place my finger on right now...

anyways, please tell me, post a video, or just rant with me about the unoriginal musical times we find ourselves in!

of course i can't get youtube to work right this morning, i think it might be the sneaky big brother i/t guys

rootless tree by damien rice - www.youtube.com...

the animals were gone by damien rice - www.youtube.com...

samson by regina spektor - www.youtube.com...

talk show host by radiohead - www.youtube.com...

theme from to kill a deadman by portishead - www.youtube.com...

edit on 3-8-2011 by schitzoandro because: edit

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I can agree and disagree with you, my friend.. I always think I was born in the wrong decade! But, check out The Black Angels .. They do not disappoint...

The Black Angels are a psychedelic rock band from Austin, Texas.
Formed in May 2004, the band's name derives from the Velvet Underground song "The Black Angel's Death Song".

edit on 3-8-2011 by rstregooski because: content

edit on 3-8-2011 by rstregooski because: content

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

seriously check out mumford and sons,these guys are incredeble! little lion man is really good! hope you all enjoy!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

Crowhaven, "Lesson to Learn", from their upcoming CD, Omens, Oracles and Opinions.

I'll post a video sometime in the future, once the demos have been recorded. I have unofficial videos and recordings, but will not publish them, at this time.

It's heavy metal with emphasis on heavy. It's new and fresh music from a band that released just one album in 1986. The album is still popular among serious metalheads in Europe.

There's an interview with them and their artist/manager in Steel for an Age, Issue #1 (March 2011), a metalzine published in Europe. Just saying.........

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
While there are a lot of bands that do covers or use melodies from older tunes in their new tunes, I personally hear a lot of original tunes everyday.

I guess it depends on what kind of music you like, what station you listen too, etc. I gave up on FM radio a long time ago. It's Sirius/XM or nothing for me!

I find myself glued to Octane and love the bands they play there: Disturbed, SlipKnot, A Day to Remember, Black Veil Brides, Avenged Sevenfold, Sevendust, etc. and I love Liquid Metal, one of my favorite metal bands (currently) is Devil Driver.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

very nice! i had never heard of them, but they have a great sound

and yes, i agree and disagree with myself, i did forget some fairly decent rap that has come and gone, like eazy-e and eminem and the likes... don't get me wrong, there is some other stuff out there that i can tolerate and even enjoy listening to, but most of it is regurgitated from an earlier time... and yes i most certainly agree that i was born in the wrong time!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

This is the end Beautiful friend This is the end My only friend, the end Of our elaborate plans, the end Of everything that stands, the end No safety or surprise, the end I'll never look into your eyes...again Can you picture what will be So limitless and free Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand In a...desperate land

Still waiting on that time machine

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

very true, i have not really listened to fm radio for more than 10-15 minutes on the way to work, but i usually pop a cd in... and yes the bands you mentioned are definitely great listening, i do get into a lot of that style, i have itunes at home and work, with more than 10 days of music compiled and so i am kind of stuck (happily that is) in songs from an earlier generation... i must say i do love some deftones, tool, hendrix, keane, guster, rainer maria, etc... the list is too long, and i do find most of these groups quite original, as well as the ones you mentioned.. thanks for the input

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OnlyLove

wow, yeah, you hit the nail on the head with that choice, one of the greatest songs ever created right there

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
TOOL - the last great original band

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If you want good, original music you have to dig for it. To answer your question though, the only two people I think were are are leaders in originality for their brand of music were The Rolling Stones and John Hiatt

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by amaster

i agree, maynard is untouched, and i read somewhere that he is heavily influenced by floyd and rush, so he definitely gets props for choosing such original idols.. and a perfect circle, also wonderful, the package www.youtube.com... is one of the greatest songs i have had the pleasure to listen to

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The Allan Parsons Project!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
awesomeness

edit on 8/3/2011 by iforget because: opps

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
why not go up the river to where it all began

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2a0637e1bb92.jpg[/atsimg]

BUT

answering your question: FANTOMAS

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/93d5a4df0b83.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8dfec59e3b6d.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 3/8/11 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Iggy Pop!!! Doode was an original.

Here's a remake of the Passenger with old movie clips:
www.youtube.com...

Here's Iggy doing the same song in 1977 a little buzzed...Watch when it's time for him to sing...Game On!
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Pachelbel is the original. Canon in D is the song.

From there everyone from blues traveler to aerosmith to vitamin c and green day has used the same dang chords.

All you need is 4 chords from the Baroque period to have a hit song. Everyone is a copy cat.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

ha! that's a great song and a great video! i really appreciate everyone's input here, hopefully we can all introduce each other to stuff we haven't heard, or at least re-introduce each other to things we had forgotten! good job and great bands to all who have posted

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

very true, i have not really listened to fm radio for more than 10-15 minutes on the way to work, but i usually pop a cd in... and yes the bands you mentioned are definitely great listening, i do get into a lot of that style, i have itunes at home and work, with more than 10 days of music compiled and so i am kind of stuck (happily that is) in songs from an earlier generation... i must say i do love some deftones, tool, hendrix, keane, guster, rainer maria, etc... the list is too long, and i do find most of these groups quite original, as well as the ones you mentioned.. thanks for the input

LOVE Tool. Saw them a few times, just amazing.
I know what you mean... the list is way too long.
I wanna post some youtube vid's but my work won't allow me to access the site. Oh well!

I've been on a Foxy Shazam kick lately, don't know if you've ever heard of that band. I recently went to the Warped Tour and had the chance to see the live and I was SO impressed haha!

.... Let's not forget about Pantera, Lamb of God, Devil Wears Prada and Slayer

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
And I love Avenged Sevenfold, seeing them at the Uproar Tour in August.

And I love, love, love, love, did I say that I love KoRn. His music speaks to me.

Old emphasis on "old" Metallica... like Kill Em All and/or Ride the Lightening days... I don't like the new stuff.

Music is my medicine. I am never going to be able to get away from this post. Thanks a lot!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join