It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study on magnetic fields, asthma is flawed: critics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Study on magnetic fields, asthma is flawed: critics

www.newsdaily.com

CHICAGO, Aug. 2, 2011 (Reuters) — Critics say a controversial new study that linked high exposure to electromagnetic fields during pregnancy to asthma in children is flawed and ignores many prior studies that suggest such exposures are harmless.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Possible Association Between Maternal Exposure to Magnetic Fields and Development of Asthma in Kids

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Just yesterday, in this forum I shared an op (see related thread) which recounted the publication, in Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, which demonstrated a relation between exposure to magnetic fields while in the womb and the potential to acquire Asthma.

This is the immediate counter-volley.

"The strong conclusions drawn from this paper that magnetic field exposure in pregnancy increases the risk of asthma in offspring cannot be justified based on the evidence provided in the publication," Patricia McKinney, professor of pediatric epidemiology at the University of Leeds in Britain, said in a statement.

McKinney said the study ignores major scientific reviews that concluded there was not a "sufficiently strong case for any further investigation of this topic."

Oddly, an assertion that existing scientific research made no strong case to further investigate this topic, seems like a problematic perspective and makes me wonder why such a claim would be made.

If this scientist, and others wanted to study this, why would anyone object other than to protect the body of data that already exists, and minimize any possibility that it could be challenged.

This is where the scientific community begins to fail itself... and us... someone is protecting their research or intellectual turf; or worse, protecting an industry from inquiry....

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Thanks for that info. I think that's right. I have asthma and at least in my case it runs in the family, my father had it, and my daughter has it too. No magnetic fields envolved.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think it's important to listen to both sides of this argument. There may be more than one answer to Asthma... and if so, we can;t let the existence of one factor deter us from learning others....

For me, it has always been aerosols, or particulate matter that seemed to greatest irritant, and genetic predisposition is likely very important. But should it become the 'only' thing we consider in the matter? I think that would be un-scientific.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
asthma still kills. Scientists need to keep on researching,even if they are covering old grounds on occasion, as things do get missed.

Although I have no scientific training, nor any basis for stating this, I have wondered if there is a link between the guys who were mustard gassed in the the first world war and how common asthma is nowdays.

Does anyone know if this has been studied? Could chemical warfare have had a genetic effect on our troops?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

While you speak of particulates being the greatest irritant....you are speaking of a symptom of the disease and NOT the cause.

Asthma is characterized as a hypersensitive response to ordinary environmental contaminants...hence, to you...particulates provoke an asthma attack but leave non-asthmatics unaffected.

There has been an 800 % increase in the incidence of asthma that has occurred since the 1960s. This is very near an impossible increase indicating either a genetic deviation or an occurrence of great magnitude.

There are some (and I am one of them) who note that since the 1960s, there has been a great movement to cleaner air. Homes are now heated with clean burning fuels, children are now no longer exposed to second hand smoke from fireplace and yes - lets include tobacco smoke.

For millenia, man has been exposed to smoke as a normal part of human life. Indeed, our respiratory systems have developed and evolved in the presence of smoke. Man has always burned organics for the heating of our homes and cooking of our food.

Children unexposed to smoke seem to develop a life-threatening asthma in greatly occurring numbers because their respiratory systems are not stimulated to develop properly in the absence of particulates.

It has always been true that children needed to be exposed to a "peck of dirt" in order to properly develop their immune systems and it seems to be also true that children need to be exposed to smoke in order to properly develop their respiratory systems.

It has been studied and is true that children whose mothers smoker develop a lower incidence of both asthma and allergies.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Excellent points!

It has always been true that children needed to be exposed to a "peck of dirt" in order to properly develop their immune systems and it seems to be also true that children need to be exposed to smoke in order to properly develop their respiratory systems.

It has been studied and is true that children whose mothers smoker develop a lower incidence of both asthma and allergies.

I have always believed, and frequently seen supporting information, that the former is true. (I recall an interesting - if somewhat visceral - piece on how children who eat their boogers are actually improving their immune systems, and this may have been a natural behavior, driven by instinct.)

On the latter assertion, before someone is compelled to ask rudely, have you any links or information to bolster it? I will tell you that I know of more than one asthmatic who claim they actually 'feel' relieved after an attack if they have a cigarette... while it seems counter-intuitive to some degree... I always wondered why that should be.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

of course I do Maxmars. I don't say anything I can't support

This is a link to a study of two generations of Swedish children

www.data-yard.net...

there is alot of conjecture on this subject as to what could be cause of this protective effect. Solensol is a medication found in many asthma inhalers prescribed for asthmatics. Solensol is derived from tobacco and is found in tobacco smoke.

Further, nicotene itself has anti-inflammatory properties.

I am of the mind that the particulate exposure need not be tobacco smoke but could the smoke from the burning of any organic. There is only minute differences between tobacco smoke and the smoke from burning logs, candles or even vehicle exhaust.

many asthmatics have been able to get off prescibed medication by indulging in light smoking and report the benefits that you mention.

Remember that tobacco was called the healing herb for centuries before the current round of demonization by the puritans. Doctors used to treat asthma attacks by gently blowing tobacco smoke in the faces of children.

Tired of Control Freaks.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I have had asthma all my life and my eldest developed it too. I found out too late that the medication should never have been given to us, as it contraindicated in our case.

We are now totally off the medication, due to the fact that we take magnesium in mineral oil spray instead. We found out that a lot of our so called 'family inherited problems' were actually due to a deficiency of magnesium.
If you are deficient in Magnesium you are every likely to be deficient in Zinc, Calcium and Vitamin D as these are all dependent on each other.

Over the last 50 years Magnesium has been decreasing in the soil (due to something only those who believe in chemtrails would know) about.
A Doctor in the A&E department I had been taken to once, said everyone is basically deficient in Magnesium.

Maybe some families have a greater need for magnesium and as the soil is depleted, these families are getting asthma and related illnesses, making the levels rise.
Nature and nurture in tandem.

join