It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iron Maiden vs Metallica....Which Do You Like Better?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This still makes me laugh my ass off

Napster Bad!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
They both suck, but Iron Maiden gets the nod over Metallica.....not to mention the whole Napster thing proving what greedy losers they are.

Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath invented heavy metal, the rest are just copycats.

I never understood peoples issue with Metallica/Lars vs. Napster. If I was putting my blood sweat and tears into my livelihood for years before the internet even existed, only to find out you can download my entire catalogue for free once Napster appeared I think I would be pretty livid too! For years and years and years the music industry has been a fight within a fight with musicians never getting their fair share. Record labels would always reap the benefits and most bands had to make their living touring.

Put yourself in their shoes and I'm sure you would've done the same thing.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Napster was illegal it and other sites ruined the music business I like Metallica for that reason you cant steal music it was stealing dont you get that.Now that being said you can go to you tube and listen/watch for free

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I like them both, but if pressed to choose, I'd go with Maiden. Even their more recent albums have been fairly good, with the exception of Dance of Death, which I really, really don't like. Sometimes I don't understand the concert set lists they come up, but they are always on the top of their game sound and vocal wise.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I have only read the title of your thread...
My answer is METALLICA of course.I have
to admit that I have not listened to them
since 2001. They still had Jason Newsted
on bass.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Iron Maiden, seventh son of a seventh son.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Not even close to a fair comparison here...

Metallica are Gods of metal, Iron Maiden arn't even in the same league... Barely the same sport actually.

Even though metallica went through a lame phase, every album before the "Loads" was better then anything Iron Maiden ever released. Thats comming from a technical stand point, and album sales of course.

Better guitarists, better drummer, better basists, better lyrics... better vocals.

Nuff said

This isn't even questionable....

Metallica FTW!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by blocula

Metallica are Gods of metal, Iron Maiden arn't even in the same league... Barely the same sport actually.

Even though metallica went through a lame phase, every album before the "Loads" was better then anything Iron Maiden ever released. Thats comming from a technical stand point, and album sales of course.

Better guitarists, better drummer, better basists, better lyrics... better vocals.

Nuff said

Metallica FTW!

Well said!

Metallica writing a new album as we speak and still working with Rick Rubin. Can't wait to hear some new stuff!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm an old school metalhead who lived in the Bay Area of California in those wonderful, colorful, and way overspandexed halcion days of the early and mid eighties. I was listening to Metallica before they even had their first album released (A bootleg of Kill 'Em All and their track on Metal Massacre 1) and I was a huge Maiden fan long before Number of the Beast made them more well known. These are things I am proud of because in those days "metal" for most was Motley Crue, Ratt, and Dokken. *ech*

With that out of the way, comparing the two bands is difficult for me because I don't consider them apples to apples. Maiden was sort of gothic progressive metal. Metallica was thrash (before Cliff died and the remaining members of the band became whining millioniares.). To me this is like asking "Who's better? Venom or Vanilla Ice? It just doesn't work.

Now if you were to ask if Queensryche or Maiden were better... THAT might get my brain twitching.

At any rate, these days, as an old man, I honestly would much rather listen to old Metallica than Maiden (with a few exceptions, primarily Paul Dianno era Maiden) as the Maiden music just feels more dated to me. I do realize there is currently a resurgence in the Maiden sound. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold owe much to Iron Maiden. Still, the old Metallica (Pre black album), to me, has better stood the test of time.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You said it all Heff..

51 here so i know exactly what you mean..

Still digging old Metalica here also..

but i still like old Megadeth also...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Ooh you are a grumpy one aren't you Dr Cosma. My sincere apologies, I'll not do that again, promise. Forgive me?

Well, just so you know, the Iron Maiden concert last night was awesome. Still can't hear properly.
Why is there no more mosh pits any more, could have done with a bit of "stress relief".

Anyways, gonna go back to bed.

Hatfield can sing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! End of. No more. I'm right you're wrong. Sue me.
edit on 4/8/2011 by samstone because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/8/2011 by samstone because: Cos I forgot somfin

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
IRON MAIDEN!!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone

Indeed I am a grumpy one.

You are forgiven.

Im glad you enjoyed the concert

But....

You know what I was gona say

I dont dislike Metallica but Hatfield cant sing!!!!!!!!! Now Steve Perry, he can sing.

Roger Daltrey, he can sing.

But......

Hatfield....damn

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
They both suck, but Iron Maiden gets the nod over Metallica.....not to mention the whole Napster thing proving what greedy losers they are.

Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath invented heavy metal, the rest are just copycats.
no...they do not suck and alice cooper has nothing to do with metal

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DBCooper71
Bad news...You are all wrong.

The greatest heavy metal band ever.

this is about "iron maiden vs metallica"...guns n roses singer has this voice that really starts to gnaw at my nerves...very annoying and one dimensional

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

reply to post by blocula

Nuff said

Metallica FTW!
to say that metallicas basist is better than steve harris from iron maiden is completely ridiculous and iron maiden started three years before metallica and were better with paul dianno as vocalist, the singer on their first two albums and clive burr on drums who was on their first three albums...listen to the studio versions of "the ides of march" "phantom of the opera" and "remember tomorrow" from their first two albums they are intense and are at a level that metallica has never reached

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

reply to post by blocula

Nuff said

Metallica FTW!
metallicas lyrics are nowhere close to iron maidens lyrics

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I'm an old school metalhead who lived in the Bay Area of California in those wonderful, colorful, and way overspandexed halcion days of the early and mid eighties. I was listening to Metallica before they even had their first album released (A bootleg of Kill 'Em All and their track on Metal Massacre 1) and I was a huge Maiden fan long before Number of the Beast made them more well known. These are things I am proud of because in those days "metal" for most was Motley Crue, Ratt, and Dokken. *ech*

With that out of the way, comparing the two bands is difficult for me because I don't consider them apples to apples. Maiden was sort of gothic progressive metal. Metallica was thrash (before Cliff died and the remaining members of the band became whining millioniares.). To me this is like asking "Who's better? Venom or Vanilla Ice? It just doesn't work.

Now if you were to ask if Queensryche or Maiden were better... THAT might get my brain twitching.

At any rate, these days, as an old man, I honestly would much rather listen to old Metallica than Maiden (with a few exceptions, primarily Paul Dianno era Maiden) as the Maiden music just feels more dated to me. I do realize there is currently a resurgence in the Maiden sound. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold owe much to Iron Maiden. Still, the old Metallica (Pre black album), to me, has better stood the test of time.
comparing iron maiden to metallica is a whole lot closer in style than queensryche....oh how i wish that paul dianno stayed in iron maiden!!! their first two albums"iron maiden" 1980 and "killers" 1981 with him on vocals and clive burr on drums are my two favorite albums by iron maiden and it is this line up of iron maiden that "is" better than metallica...i saw metallica with cliff burton two months before he was killed ,they were never the same without him...why?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
reply to post by samstone

Indeed I am a grumpy one.

You are forgiven.

Im glad you enjoyed the concert

But....

You know what I was gona say

I dont dislike Metallica but Hatfield cant sing!!!!!!!!! Now Steve Perry, he can sing.

Roger Daltrey, he can sing.

But......

Hatfield....damn

Dude its Hetfield not Hatfield.

This is a crazy argument. Metallica was the largest band in the world during the mid to late 80s and into the mid 90s. No other band from the 80s aside from U2 has stood the test of time. Lyrically Metallica crushes Maiden and when you have one of the best guitar players ever in the history of the world it makes Metallica hard to beat.

You are going to compare Roger Daltrey and Steve Perry to James Hetfield? It isn't even a fair comparison. Journey was a band that you played when you were trying to nail your high school sweetheart in the front seat of your Z28 and The Who is also in a different league. Thrash metal and heavy metal in general isn't about how well your lead vocalist sounds. They aren't supposed to sound pretty. They aren't supposed to have golden pipes. They are supposed to get on stage have attitude and kick your ass!!!

And sure those guys may sing better then JH but all those guys didn't play rhythm guitar as well as lead vocals.

Dickenson and Di'Anno didn't pick up instruments. Neither did Perry and Daltrey very rarely picked up a guitar.

edit on 4-8-2011 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
popularity doesnt equal talent...i wont even type in his name ,but that little puke boy from canada that all the prepubescent tenny bopper chicks love so much,his popularity is huge, but is completely talentless, so the fact that metallica was or is really big does not translate into talent....look up the lyrics to "strange world" by iron maiden...[i dont know if its okay to link published lyrics] they are awesome...metallicas lyrics are on the same banal level as ac/dc,drinking and sex ect,ect...but iron maiden writes about war,history,science fiction,fantasy ect,ect,really deep stuff not shallow and mundane like metallica

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join