It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First time this century that the UN has declared famine.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hi all,

Here are the result of the famine.

TS:

The UN has warned that the famine can be spread across the southern part of Somalia, but the necessary help needed to avoid famine, is hampered by the conflict in the country therefore the problem is getting worse, since the rebels keeps the emergency food and water delivered to the country.

There has been famine in Somalia last month, but the UN chief of humanitarian, Valerie Amos, fears that it is spreading southwards.

Somalia is the country worst hit by drought and famine catastrophe in eastern Africa. According to UN Children's organization UNICEF has 1.25 million Somali children urgently in need of help to survive.

The United Nations has declared two areas of Somalia for the famine stricken, and it is the first time in this century that the UN has declared famine.

TE.

It seems like the FN is taking the crisis very seriusly in this case. Basically what I understand is, that if/when it spread it will go out of control and maybe the worst crisis they have ever encountered. Even worse than the Sudan famine:

1998 Sudan famine

The famine was caused almost entirely by human rights abuse and the war in Southern Sudan. Despite the Sudanese government claims that only the rebel groups were to blame, Human Rights Watch blamed the following groups:

The government of Sudan

The Baggara militia

Sudan People's Liberation Army

Dinka warlord Kerubino Kuanyin Bol

The Darfur War

So it seems that we can conclude to begin with, that a lot of the problems is because of us, humans.
edit on 3/8/11 by Hilltaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
wat?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Well, they finally noticed.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hilltaker

As you show a link to the 1998 famine....which was the last famine (I assume) of this last century...and we are only 11 years into the new century....It seems sort of an odd statement to say the UN is declaring an area to be in Famine for "first time in this century".......Not that I'm suggesting that any of this is not incredibly sad, and terribly important....just that the label "first" in this Century is, while certainly true in a technical sense, not really saying that much....The last famine wasn't all that long ago. It makes it sound like it's an incredibly unique and rare occurrence for a famine to occur....when in reality it's neither unique or rare for a famine to occur...it's simply the first one since the date changed from 1999 to 2000.....

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Oh but that is the strange part, I tryed to put it in perspective - the SUDAN famine was never decleard anything similar by the UN.

Thanks for noticing and welcome to the thread.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
If the US or some other western country stopped all food stamps and other government food services would they declare a famine in these areas?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
This was on the radar months ago from wall street speculators pushing up the price of food and more concerned about their profits than feeding a nation.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

It surrely seems like money talks lauder than everything else.

So if the capitalism can earn just 5 cent more it doesnt matter if their dies a few more people.

//Thanks for flags.

edit on 3/8/11 by Hilltaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hilltaker

I'll trust you are correct, then....... as I was only assuming they had labeled it as a famine as well (considering the fact that it was indeed a famine....I just figured they had labeled it as such). That is interesting...I wonder why they'd label one and not the other. Hmmmmm.

edit on 4-8-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: I done picked an odd assortment of words in which I used to make my internet thing speak in quite reading sort o' way, and stuff....I ain't no professional writer or nuthin so I type my thinkin' words out all funny like sometime. So I fixed it and stuff...that's what this here edit is all about. Is that OK then? I sure do hope so, cause if not I'd have to do all my think writin' all over again and that stuff is hard to do fer a fella like me thats got no book learnin' or nothin' like that......yep

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
It's all about money IMO..

See who benefits..

It usually isn't the ones in trouble regardless of what tax payers money or donations are sucked out of us..

new topics

top topics

join