It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

falklands conflict..political stances

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
dont know if this has come up b4 but its something i wouldn`t mind knowing
can some1 plz answers these questions for me?
1..what was the political stance of U.S.A on the U.K`s war with argentina?
2..ditto commeanwealth..i.e was it only the u.k that sent troops?
3..did the french sell the argentineans weapons during the conflict?
4..should a country like the u.k have any sort of sovriegnty over an island halfway round the world?

thx for any answers u can give me

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
the us provided much non-direct assistance to the uk during the falklands, including communications and intelligence support. the us fully supported the conflict (or at least the us administration at the time.)

the argentinians used both french and american weapons against the english, most notably french exocet missiles and us frigates.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
ah, that thatcher era. good 'ol days!

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by fitch
ah, that thatcher era. good 'ol days!

- Jayzuuus you must be joking.

It was bloody aweful for many of us, most of the time.

(usual story....almost all of the top 30% loved her as they got all the goodies just about all the time, many of the middle 30% liked her at least to begin with cos they got some of the goodies - until it turned around and chewed many of them up at the end and the bottom 30% got the crappy end of the stick most of the time regardless.

Great.

The one great thing she did was finally destroy the British Tory party - even if John Major was left to carry the can for that - although the message hasn't quite sunk in for some of them yet.)

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Hmm Alot of info seems to be lost and forgotten about the falklands ,

The argentina goverment was installed via a CIA lend coup

The falklands lies on top of a rather big oil resevoir

The US admin ,at the time seriously wanted to support the Argentina goverment. But knew the backlash from the american public . may of ended up with that admin finding a new home ,somewhere around seberia

As far as i remember , Britian found out about the US plans to support the Argentinas by accident. british threaten to go public with all the info( there was alot in the us admin/army etc who supported the brits, and would help cause hell on earth for the admin at the time)

the us support fot argentina was alot futher on than most realise. like for example. the us useing isreal as a proxy to send exocets to argentinas.

this whole incident was most likey one of them main reasons.. than when the us admin was forced to support the brits. that support was overwelming.

www.google.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K

the argentinians used both french and american weapons against the english, most notably french exocet missiles and us frigates.

-koji K.

that would be against the BRITISH then(i am welsh...that makes me british)

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix

Originally posted by koji_K

-koji K.

that would be against the BRITISH then(i am welsh...that makes me british)

correct. my apologies.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I do find it very annoying when people use England/English to represent the whole of the UK, which is actually compromised of four countries Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & England.

So please do your homework next time...

Oh yeah i am Welsh

Hwyl Fawr!

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyboy211
I do find it very annoying when people use England/English to represent the whole of the UK, which is actually compromised of four countries Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & England.

Oh yeah i am Welsh

Hwyl Fawr!

Hey, I lived in London for 15 years and Edinburgh for 4, and I still call you all English. It's not deliberate, just a slip of the tongue. But boy, the Scots don't like it either. I've been to Wales a few times (Snowdonia I think? The mountain region... was very nice.)

-koji K.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well i don't think you'd be pleased if i called you Welsh, Irish or Scottish would you?

I don't mean to be harsh but if you say the English did this or that, a lot of people will be ignorant and stupid enough to believe it, then it undermines the contribution made by other British forces during the Falklands.

I'd imagine it would be the same calling a Canadian an American?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
1..what was the political stance of U.S.A on the U.K`s war with argentina?

US support was firmly with the UK , we got weapons / equiment / intel and logistics assistasnce [ only as far as assencion in the logistics ]

bottom line , the USA could afford to alienate the galtieri junta and rely on pinochet as thier man in the region

falling out with thier ` unsinkable aircraft carrier ` was out of the question

2..ditto commeanwealth..i.e was it only the u.k that sent troops?

the commonwealth made the right noises and supported the UK in the UN , BUT without a declaration of war no commonwealth government could IMHO justify sending troops to join the task force to its electorate [ political suicide ]

like wise were the UK to make a request , the probable schism would destroy the commonwealth

no , BUT they did send technicians to try and resolve the agrentine technical gremlins plus convert IIRC shore launched missiles to air launch as the argentines were running out fast

4..should a country like the u.k have any sort of sovriegnty over an island halfway round the world?

pass , though i would advise you to put yourself in the shoes of a kelper who considers himself british . how would you feel having your home ceeded to a foreign power for political expediency / correctness

there was a refurendum on soverignty - the vote to stay british was 100% or dammed close

as for who supplied what weapons , the UK supplied alot of naval tecchnology , missile systems and other materiele all during the ill conceived portion of the cold war when ANY right of centre govnt was supported by the west , and viceseversa for the USSR

as for oil reserves , thier presence was unknow in 1982 , the economic " loot " was the fishing rights

YRS - APE

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

as for oil reserves , thier presence was unknow in 1982 , the economic " loot " was the fishing rights

YRS - APE

Hmmm, I'm not so sure I've seen evidence of the oil there now. But if it's there, it's more than possible it was known back in 1982 or prior to it, just like it's been known for some time that oil does not come from compressed plankton.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
taibunsuu wrote " Hmmm, I'm not so sure I've seen evidence of the oil there now. But if it's there, it's more than possible it was known back in 1982 or prior to it, just like it's been known for some time that oil does not come from compressed plankton."

www.falklands-oil.com...

mea culpa , sort of there was survey work done as early as the 70`s

i was relying on memory rather than reasearch , but i am still sure oil was not mentioned at the time

OTOH national pride and the attempt to obsfucate domestic argentine political problems and ecconomic woes were major factors in the descision to invade

this is detailed in " the fight for the malvinas " by martin middlebank , and he does not mention oil , he does not mention fish either so YMMV

YRS - APE

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyboy211

Oh yeah i am Welsh

Hwyl Fawr!

I know what you mean, Flyboy.........my country (the CSA) was invaded, conquered, and occupied by foreign aggressors........I am an American, but I resent being called a "Yank". I'm not a Yankee by any stretch of the imagination.

PS - Also, I'm married to a Brit, so even the "Southern thing" not withstanding, I still know exactly what you mean.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

no , BUT they did send technicians to try and resolve the agrentine technical gremlins plus convert IIRC shore launched missiles to air launch as the argentines were running out fast

YRS - APE

so i take it they got there mirage fighter jets before the conflict started?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Heratrix wrote " so i take it they got there mirage fighter jets before the conflict started?"

YUP !

the mirage III was sold between 1970 and 1980

YRS - APE

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
did the argies have a service warranty with the french...i.e for things like spare parts and weapons systems for these planes..or did the argies service/arm/test these planes and systems themselves?

top topics

join