It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt-ceiling deal sets off lobbying frenzy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

When the Divine Dozen are named, it will lead "to the emergence of a pack of superlobbyists who will have access to those members" and who can try to protect clients from the carnage, said Democratic consultant David Di Martino. That's because with only six members from each party on the committee, influencing the super committee will largely be an inside game with Democratic and Republican lobbyists working their respective lawmakers. Each appointment will be closely watched for the signals it sends about the direction of the super committee, more formally known as the Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction.

Like-minded interests are also likely to form coalitions to exert grassroots and in-district pressure on the Divine Dozen. One group will surely be the health care industry. The bill caps Medicare cuts at 2 percent, but it requires those decreases to be shouldered by doctors, hospitals, and other providers—cash-rich targets that will likely employ armies of lobbyists on the Hill. And after Congress spent most of the year debating whether to fund the government and raise the debt limit, the tumult that the super committee could create between now and the end of the year led one Democratic lobbyist to quip, "The upside is there is finally going to be a lot more business lobbying Congress."

news.yahoo.com...

Super Congress....Super Lobbying by corporations, financial industry, health insurance ind., big pharma...etc....anyone with the money to buy off a politician....Now they can focus on just 12 POLITICIANS. 12 only.

Wow...

You know what that means....

We're screwed!!!
edit on 2-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Are we surprised?

This is just another way to continue "business-as-usual" within the DC clique. We didn't solve any debt crisis or actually produce a plan that would put us back on the track of fiscal responsibility....we kicked the can down the road!

Hate to say this, but capitalism has run amok! Someday we will learn, but we will be 3rd world by then.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
considering obamas speech today your not gonna see alot of jet corporations or yacht corporations or any of the avionics corporations or magellan and other maritime corporations.

he killed them deader than a doorknob

actually this is how outsourcing works it will hit us and help out foreign corporations.
edit on 2-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I have been listening to the news reporting on concerns of this all day and even reading about here.
at least now i understand the lies and deception from the"countdown to disaster" media coverage.
the more things change the more they stay the same...this really should be the
wake up call for the majority of the public to pull their attention away from the distractions
and stand up for themselve.s.
to any who have read the links to "the new revolution" in my sggy....please disregard as it is now
too late for such hopeful and peaceful action.
it will be removed shortly and replaced with a more rrealistic and direct approach .
one which iformerly tried to avoid...iam truly disgusted

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ah, yes....jets, yachts and other such items are such an integral part of the "Everyman" economy that we must dictate our domestic policy around it!

I hope my sarcasm was thick enough!

It's a FACT that rich people are not spending money, especially small-business owners, because the market is not based on the money supply. Instead it is based on demand and why would people hire/spend if they can meet demand with their current workforce?

Oops, sorry......my Lear Jet is waiting. I must run off to buy a yacht immediately!

ETA: Outsourcing is a terrible thing! I hope that we can reform our disgusting capitalist ways before the rich people outsource everything!

edit on 2-8-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

dude middle class flys them captains them makes them maintains builds every component in them and people who make their living off those people and those people off them etc.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

What percentage of the US GDP is based on airlines and their sales?

These companies have a negative earning rate and an even worse employment rate! Seen the price of jet fuel?

You would get a better return on investment if you gave every taxpayer food stamps!
edit on 2-8-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

general aviation alone is a multibillion dollar industry right along with those yachts right along with avionics right along with the computerized systems and subsystems not to mention the fuel they run on.

takes refining takes people to bring that fuel and those parts and takes people to make everything in between.

it is going to put millions out of work and destroy billions of wealth thats a fact and that means someone else not americans will come in and pick up the slack.

this is outsourcing at its best if you cant see it then you cant.

the fuel alone runs in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

they have fix costs and variable costs.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

it is going to put millions out of work and destroy billions of wealth thats a fact and that means someone else not americans will come in and pick up the slack.

According to this link the number is more around 500,000 instead of "Millions". Not to say these jobs aren't important but it is much more specific and limited than most industries.

So if the demand is low, and people are not buying these products, these business' will continue to produce and hire? NO!
Data and Statistics

the fuel alone runs in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

And I wonder who makes the money off of that? Hmmm....could it be some "all-ready rich guy" in the middle east that has a very small chance of spending it back into the American economy? Maybe, I just don't know!

The thing is, Neo, is that all costs are easily controlled in any industry in which labor is a large percentage of the overall operating expenses.

Labor = people

Less spending = Fewer jobs

See where I'm going with this? So the airline/yacht analogy just falls flat on its face when it comes to things we should base our monetary/tax policy around!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It'll be interesting to see who these 12 apostles of omnipotence will be...

... and who will be the first to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar accepting bribes et al.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I knew it would come to this when Reagan made his speech about how the U.S. would no longer be a manufacturing country but instead in this new era a service country that provides financial services to other countries.. I have never mentioned this to anyone that remembers hearing it... Any one??
edit on 3-8-2011 by hypervigilant because: spelling

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
This dept ceiling scam was to bring to life this super counsel , just as Timothy McVeigh brought in the patriot act...ETC

they all disagree to agree, business as usual is right

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The govt should stop creating power centers, then the lobbyist will stop lobbying them.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
It'll be interesting to see who these 12 apostles of omnipotence will be...

... and who will be the first to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar accepting bribes et al.

I was wondering the same thing....will there be any in the bunch who can't be bought off?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

We'll know exactly what will happen when they are named.

If just one....ONE "Blue Dog" Democrat makes the panel....we're screwed.

That's all it takes....we already know that Republicans will stand firm...Democrats do not.....too many of them are bought out by corporations and banks, etc....just like Republicans.

It takes 7 votes for them to approve something to be voted on....in the house and senate. 7 votes automatically means BI-PARTISAN support.

We're screwed. Writing is on the wall.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
They should have put a provision stating that it shall be illegal for any lobbyists to approach the "divine dozen" to influence debt reduction legislation. But they never think of these things, or deliberately left it out.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Finally, some job creation. More lobbyists! That should boost the economy.

Why no independents on the panel? We'd be better off if the panel was composed of 12 random people off the street, rotated out on an annual basis. At least three homeless people, two convicted felons, and one crack-head for good measure.
edit on 3-8-2011 by VictorVonDoom because: Because I can

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

HA HA THat would be an improvement

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Why no independents on the panel? We'd be better off if the panel was composed of 12 random people off the street, rotated out on an annual basis. At least three homeless people, two convicted felons, and one crack-head for good measure.

God forbid, that makes more sense than the utter trash that is representing the people of this country right now.

I'd much rather see those in congress who knows the pain of those struggling, and not gain favor for those who's intent is only to profit (gain power) on our ineptness.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Wow, how did I miss this thread.

Yes, its a target for the lobby crowd for sure. The politicians
keep their salarys, and the government gets to keep spending...
The Banking Cartel finances it all on the back of the American taxpayer.

Everyone wins except the people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join