It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USGS Recent Earthquakes - Last 8-30 Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I just thought it was interesting to view this document from the USGS.
neic.usgs.gov...

And this one from University California Berkeley
www.data.scec.org...

Man, there’s a whole lot of shakin goin on.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Would be intresting to see a more detailed map showing the depth of the earthquakes in the USA to compare with the frequency to see if there any precursors to a large quake. Do you know if a map like this is available in USGS as well? Is 800 odd quakes normal in a week?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 17sok
Would be intresting to see a more detailed map showing the depth of the earthquakes in the USA to compare with the frequency to see if there any precursors to a large quake. Do you know if a map like this is available in USGS as well? Is 800 odd quakes normal in a week?

If you follow the link above it will list the date, time, depth, strength and location. But there's a lot to dig through.
This link,
earthquake.usgs.gov...
will provide the most recent quakes. By clicking on the dot and subsequent pages, you can obtain the depth as well.
Thank you for your comment.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
poor BC

missing out on any substantial shaking

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Dinkle
poor BC

missing out on any substantial shaking

Not necessarily.

Starting in January 2009, the USGS National Earthquake Information Center no longer locates earthquakes smaller than magnitude 4.5 outside the United States, unless we receive specific information that the earthquake was felt or caused damage.
USGS

After a quick look at the chart for California, I couldn't see many, if any quakes bigger than a 2. These quakes would get recorded on the USGS database, but if they occured in Canada (or anywhere else in the world), they would not make it on the list. Therefore, BC may have had more shaking than the US, but they would not show up on USGS maps unless they are bigger than a 4.5. In saying that, any less than a 4.5 probably wouldn't be considered substantial anyway.

Originally posted by Violater1
Man, there’s a whole lot of shakin goin on.

Hey Violater1. Just curious, do you think this is significantly above normal? As I mentioned, all the quakes in California are fairly small, so do you think it's leading to something bigger? I haven't been keeping track of quakes as much as I have in the past, since going without the e-quake add on after "upgrading" firefox. So I'm not entirely sure if what we are seeing is particularly unusual, or fairly normal. Cheers
edit on 3/8/11 by Curious and Concerned because: formatting

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
EQ-20110805-206572-US
Magnitude: 3.4
Mercalli scale: 1
Date-Time [UTC]: 05 August, 2011 at 01:18:42 UTC
Local Date/Time: Friday, August 05, 2011 at 01:18 at night at epicenter
Depth: 8.80 km (5.47 miles)

Anyone feel this one? Seems a little stronger than the rumblings of the last couple of weeks.

new topics

top topics

join