It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are American Sports Fans Still Prejudice?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
What exactly is your source anyway? I googled for "espn best athletes all time" and the first result was this page. Top N. American Athletes on that list 10 out of the top 15 are black. And Deion Sanders came in at #74.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Yes because the only reason he got traded was because he was black.

I'm going to ask you again...are you really serious with this garbage? For real??

I can't see any way that this isn't a joke.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Prime was a piss poor tackler. In fact he avoided hits as best he could. Yes, he was was an amazing cover cb and a beautiful return man, but he played defense and he couldn't tackle. I say his spot on that list is about right. Though, I wasn't very impressed with the list as a whole. If i made it myself I'd probably put him in the top 20. How is that automatically racist?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Maybe because its ESPN and they seem to have their heads up their butts most of the time?

I can't really comment on the list because I don't watch football, but it looks like they did a general list that included all positions. Had they done a list position by position (which, IMO, is how you should do a list like this), then Deion would have probably ranked higher.

ESPN is no different than any other MSM outlet. They'll talk about what's popular or what they know people will pay attention to. What they report on is what fits their image of how sports should be and how marketable certain players and teams are. They show favoritism based on money, not on skin color (although I'm sure there are some exceptions).

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

I'm going to ask you again...are you really serious with this garbage? For real??

I can't see any way that this isn't a joke.

Maybe some hyperbole...granted.

But seriously think this thru...

Both men were confident men...

Both were black...verbal...articulate....some would say COCKY....

Why does our society balk at that....I say, god bless them!

Life is hard...hard enough for a WASP like me trying to get me and the family thru...

These men were gifted...GREAT at what they do....I mean really GREAT....and it seems to me, if you are black, good at what you do....and may speak of that....our society penalizes them....that is wrong

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

why?

wasn't he still good?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

How is it a penalty to be considered one of the best 100 players to ever play the game? The guy got ranked where he deserved in my opinion (and in many others).

If you bring it up on ESPN and take the poll where you can rank them yourself...you'll find that Deion then comes in at about 22 or 23 based on votes from fans. It isn't prejudice...it's just where he belongs.

Also...why aren't you whining about any other black athletes that are lower on the list?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

No...he wasn't.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Yes, Philly hates black QB's so much that they replaced him with Vick clearly they just wanted to get rid of the black man. I'm not seeing any racism here.
edit on 2-8-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

OldThinker wrote: the sports writers and ESPN voted Deion sanders as the 34th best player of all time.....please???

One reason is Darrell Green

7× Pro Bowl selection (1984, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1997)

4× All-Pro selection (1986, 1987, 1990, 1991)

2× Super Bowl Champion (XXII, XXVI)

NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

1996 Walter Payton Man of the Year

1997 Bart Starr Award

Record 19 Seasons with at least 1 Interception

1,159 tackles (Something the Deion didn’t do very well)

54 interceptions

According to answers.com, in his prime Green ran a 4.125 40 and in 1986 was unofficially timed at 4.09. also there is a video of darrell running a 3.9 and on his 50th birthday he ran 4.43 forty.

Albert Bell was a good ballplayer but I don’t think that he is in the same category as Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Ernie Banks and Ken Griffey Jr.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

I actually know Darrell...

rather quiet fellow...see earlier posts about verbal black athletes

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Just jumping in...Neon D is nowhere near the top 5 and imho, 34 was kind to him. Perhaps if he actually tried to tackle someone once in a while he would be higher on the list. Your attacking everyone as racist who doesn't agree is totally sad. I would say Elway is #1 and should be, but the buck-tooth racists have kept him out, creeps.

CJ

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

btw, Darrell was 75th

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

not attacking anyone CJ....

just asking a question bro

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Jumped pretty fast at an eagles fan for not liking mcnabb because of why again? I reassert my position, since these lists and the like are totally meaningless; Shannon Sharpe should be ahead of neon d. Why is it the Broncos have only two - one more (shannon) this weekend - in the HOF? You want a conspiracy, look into that.

CJ

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join