It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit Filed In The "Battle For Central Park"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
In January 2004, the National Council of Arab Americans had applied for a park permit, so the NCAA and the A.N.S.W.E.R Coalition ( Act Now To Stop War and End Racism ) would be able to hold a peace/political rally together on August 28, 04 , which is also the 41st anniversary of the historic 1963, civil rights "March On Washington", it is also the beginning of the Republican National convention.

The rally was to demonstrate that the people all across the United States, that are from different communities and "walks of life", stand as "one" in support of Civil Liberties & Civil Rights for all citizens in the United States.

The Partnership for Civil Justice, with other counsel also on behalf of the National Lawyers Guild Mass Defense Committee, filed litigation on August 13, 2004 in New York City's federal court to issue an injunction to force the City and Mayor Bloomberg to allow the assembly of demonstrators in Central Park and on Central Park's Great Lawn during the Republican National Convention; and to stop the Mayor and the City from carrying out their threats to arrest people who engage in free speech activities in Central Park.

www.justiceonline.org...

I honestly beleive that the mayor and the city parks dept., are very wrong in denying these groups the permit they asked for, the lame excuses that they finally came up with are so transparent, they allow concerts to be on the "Great Lawn" and so on and so forth, so why not the rally for polical purposes?

No One should be allowed to trample on anyone's "civil rights or civil liberties, no matter who they are.
I for one will be cheering them on in their quest for justice.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by nanna_of_6]

[edit on 16-8-2004 by nanna_of_6]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nanna_of_6 I honestly beleive that the mayor and the city parks dept., are very wrong in denying these groups the permit they asked for, the lame excuses that they finally came up with are so transparent, they allow concerts to be on the "Great Lawn" and so on and so forth.
Not me. For 4+ million people, Central Park is our "back yard". How would you like 100,000+ angry people trampling your yard, leaving garbage, and essentially disrespecting that you live there and would like to enjoy the lawn you pay for? Will they clean up when they're done? Concerts are very different than a protest. Summer stage is very different than a protest. There is an organized and paid-for effort to keep it orderly and clean during the event, and a staff to clean up after the event. I use the park every weekend, as do many New Yorkers. No one here is in favor of this. Even many of the local (NYC native) activists are advising against using the park.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Not me. For 4+ million people, Central Park is our "back yard". How would you like 100,000+ angry people trampling your yard, leaving garbage, and essentially disrespecting that you live there and would like to enjoy the lawn you pay for? Will they clean up when they're done?

I use the park every weekend, as do many New Yorkers. No one here is in favor of this. Even many of the local (NYC native) activists are advising against using the park.

You have written the problems associated with public parks; dirty, overcrowded, and can be unpleasant because of these factors.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Concerts are very different than a protest. Summer stage is very different than a protest. There is an organized and paid-for effort to keep it orderly and clean during the event, and a staff to clean up after the event.

I understand what you are saying and the "not Knowing" can be somewhat scarey
for the New Yorkers that live next to the park. Your concerns are understandable. I, myself, do not know for a fact if they were organizing a clean-up crew,...... maybe that would be a good question to ask them ?
It seems to me that there a concerns and questions that need and should be addressed to the NCAA and A.N.S.W.E.R Coalition, that there should be guidelines and rules setup for anyone that wants a permit for the use of the "Great Lawn", on the care that is exspected after the event is over.
The mayor of NY didn't even suggest a different park that could be used,..... that is "if" there is another large park to use
. As it stands, these two org.'s may have/do have grounds for their Lawsuit over their civil rights and civil liberties being violated.
The problem that the city is going to have is " Central Park and the Great Lawn" is a public park, not a private one and there will be New Yorkers involved in this rally, and if/since they pay the taxes too for the up-keep of the park, they have a right to use it.
I do feel for you and the others that don't want this rally to happen but I whole-heartedly beleive in civil rights/civil liberties for all.
just my point of view

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It looks like G W Bush and the GOP has more problems coming at them when the Republican National Convention begins in New York City, LOL.
Not only does the NCAA and the A.N.S.W.E.R Coalition want to do their rally, the "victims of 9/11" family members are going to be out in forces , they DO NOT want the Convention held in their city.

Spectre posted a thread and the url is below, to read the " NYC TO GOP
ROP DEAD" go to "Spectre"s post, click on the related links and go to the yahoo news link.

www.atsnn.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Why it has to be in central park, they can go and do this at the front of the capitol in DC. Right?

But is a reason why they wanted to do this in NY and is the national republican convention.

I believe in the rights of people to assembly and to protest but I don't agree with the hidden agenda this groups have.

They should not be allowed to do this at this time.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Why should they have to take it any where else ? It is a PUBLIC park, in the middle (i'm guess at this one) of New York, why shouldn't they have it there, as long as they don't "trash-up" the place ?
Why should the GOP have their convention in New York ? Why should they be able to use New York and 9/11, after all, Bush hasn't kept his promise to the victims or citizens of the U S, the promise of hunting down all the terrorist that were in volved and making them pay, he's to busy being a terrorist hisself with the Iraqis and helping his buddies contain the oil fields in Iraq, And, running around the U S campaining for re-election.

The protesters have the same rights and liberties as the GOP Convention goers do.

top topics

join