It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head of phishing ring gets 12 years in prison for scamming 38K victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Head of phishing ring gets 12 years in prison for scamming 38K victims

news.yahoo.com

That Tien Truong Nguyen, age 34, was sentenced today for his role in designing websites to mock financial institutions and using those sites to scam over 38,000 victims. He worked with Romanian scammers to help drive people to the sites through email phishing. Nguyen sold the data containing the identities stolen from the fake sites.....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Here is a prime example of punishment involving identity theft. 12 years up the river.
Now this guy went through a lot of trouble to obtain his stolen ID's, and he was caught with 38k of them. He had to create fake sites and get his own suckers.
Now imagine for a minute....when people like this learn there is a place that gives out stolen ID's like cotton candy at a carnival, for free?
That place would be Anonymous. How many of these career ID thieves do you think they are supplying?
Anyone can be a member, get the data etc.
Accomplice charges to the crimes people like this do could send any anon ddos kiddie up the river for a long long time.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

After caught, Nguyen told police that phishing was simple to do and that methamphetamines helped him continue his drive to steal identities. He was charged with conspiracy, aggravated identity theft, possession of a firearm and access-device fraud. During sentencing, lawyers for Nguyen attempted to argue that he had cleaned up his life and stopped using meth.

I laughed out loud at this. So you stole millions(?) of dollars, what's your defense? "At least I stopped doing meth."

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Here is a prime example of punishment involving identity theft. 12 years up the river.
Now this guy went through a lot of trouble to obtain his stolen ID's, and he was caught with 38k of them. He had to create fake sites and get his own suckers.
Now imagine for a minute....when people like this learn there is a place that gives out stolen ID's like cotton candy at a carnival, for free?
That place would be Anonymous. How many of these career ID thieves do you think they are supplying?
Accomplice charges to the crimes people like this do could send any anon ddos kiddie up the river for a long long time.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article) [/quote

Anonymous? Why jump to conclusions? The article tells all and Anonymous is not mentioned. I am stunned to read what you wrote. "Anyone can be a member" well explains how little you know of what you are assuming. Please do some online reading about Anon aside from what the media is telling you. I'm afraid you have seriously been mislead.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

news.yahoo.com

Anyone can get the data? Let me know when you get the NATO secrets because I disagree that anyone can get their data. Bad try at demonizing a good organization.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Anons mantra has always been "we are all anonymous" that would include anybody, people like this guy here in the story, his type is included also.

There is a huge blackmarket of worldwide underground trafficking in stolen data. Much akin to the heroin trade. Does anyone for a minute think these professional hackers do not notice the free merchandise opportunities anonymous presents for their trade?

What else can those botnets be used for.......

Global ATM Caper Nets Hackers $9 Million in One Day

What else do hackers use botnets for

the hacker managed to lift the withdrawal limits on those 100 cards, before dispatching an global army of cashers to drain them with repeated rapid-fire withdrawals. More than 130 ATMs in 49 cities from Moscow to Atlanta were hit simultaneously

I'd imagine if some person in control of a network such as that wanted into Anonymous, they would be right up there sharing the data with the bigshots in short order. None of the brainwashed freedom fighter sheeple types would ever know about it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
good to hear.

The more people are caught and charged, the better.

top topics

join