It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deceptive packaging ruines a little girl's summer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This story is sickening IMO: A toy company has a picture on the front of their product which is photo-shopped to make it appear much larger than it really is. Deceptive advertizing at its finest.

How Photoshop Ruined This Poor Girl’s Summer

Yes! Summer! Pool time! Aqua fun! Time to splish and splash! Get yer bathing suit! Round up your pals! Hop in the Banzai Whale Pool with three amigos! Wait, what's that? It's tiny and the box is deceptively photoshopped? Oh.

This has to be one of the more egregious examples of photoshop trickery—and look, it ruined this little girl's say/summer/life. Look at that face! She's not only been alienated from warm weather fun, but probably from the technology that took her for a ride to disappointment lane.

Gizmodo

Its a shame the girls parents didn't have access to ATS's expert teams of photo analysts; they can spot a fake UFO pic or vid from a mile away. This toy box wouldn't have a chance with them around.

Its really sickening when a corporation uses a child's imagination and raises their expectations to make a buck. The pool is so cheap, I bet most parents don't bother to return it after they get home, blow it up and realize its nowhere near the size the pic on the box led them to believe. The toy company is betting on this and they don't care how many children's dreams they have to crush to make a few bucks.

[sarcasm]Of course, I suppose it is possible that that's really a giant girl standing next to the pic on the right, deceptively trying to make the pool look tiny.[/sarcasm]

edit on 8/2/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

that has got to be the weakest, most pathetic looking pool i've ever seen...but really...if you're buying something that you have to blow up with air...you should expect poor quality...just sayin'

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
That's one huge girl right there!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
My kids actually have this, my mother in law got it for them. My two year old cannot even slide down the slide at all because it just falls over. I'm not sure if the picture looked like that on the box and that is why she got it for them. It now serves as a large water dish for random animals in the area.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Violetshy

I've seen this in the stores and that's really the pic on the box.

My kids even begged me to get it for them but, since my apartment doesn't have a yard, I had to say no. I guess living in a cheap apartment has its advantages after all.

ETA: I think it would take a few Barbie dolls to fit in that pool proportionately to what that picture shows.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Yeah this thing looks like you would get it with a Happy Meal, since those hamburgers don't look exactly as tasty either in real life...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This makes me so angry I don't know what I can say legally. As someone whose business is in the same line, that is mightily embarrassing. Whoever made that should sack themselves. My heart goes out to the little girl and I hope she has a great rest of the Summer.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It's clear as day that it's photoshopped. All you need to look at is the un-natural posture & interaction of the girl in pink sitting in the pool..

False advertising at it's finest!

Cant make out any text saying something along the lines of "Product may differ from illustration." That would be the classic covering your ass line!

Just for a laugh.. Did they enlarge the pool or make the children smaller?.. Perhaps a bit of both!

Either way, clever yet deceiving photography.
edit on 2/8/11 by TrixXxtaR because: Added a quick photoshop picture for a laugh & amended comment...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Oh god.
Really?

I remember taking pool rafts and deflating them and filling them with water to make a little "pool" and make shift slip and slides out of trash bags.

Kids are spoiled, she should be grateful she got what she did.

Start using your imagination instead of running to wal-mart to entertain your kids.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

no the picture is accurate...the children in the pic are 18 inches tall...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

that pool would be perfect for your situation...you could set it up in the shower.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrixXxtaR
It's clear as day that it's photoshopped. All you need to look at is the un-natural posture & interaction of the girl in pink sitting in the pool..

False advertising at it's finest!

Can anyone make out any text saying something along the lines of "Product may differ from illustration." Classic covering your ass line!

I knew you photo experts would tear this one apart.

You sure lived up to your custom title with those awesome photo-shops of the pics you posted up there.

Multimedia Technician

That's what I call accuracy in media.

I searched for more images of the box but, none are big enough to read the small print on the box. I even tried blowing up the pic but, it just made the words blurry.

edit on 8/2/11 by FortAnthem because: :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Holy crap!

It really WAS a giant girl the whole time!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

so that is what a garden gnome looks like in a bathing suit...hmmmm

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't see how they can get away with that packaging.

Truth in Advertising

According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), “advertising must be truthful and non-deceptive… advertisers must have evidence to back up their claims… and advertisements cannot be unfair.”

Deceptive Advertising

According to advertising law, an advertisement is considered deceptive if it contains a statement or omits information that “is likely to mislead consumers acting reasonably under the circumstances; and is, ‘material’ - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product.“

Essentially, the law states that your advertising cannot be misleading. You have to tell the truth, or clearly label your ads so that no reasonable person could mistake your intent. Advertisers [and their advertising agencies] need to have a reasonable basis for advertising claims before they are published.

Advertising to Children

The FTC pays particular attention to advertisements aimed at children. These ads are evaluated from a child’s point of view, not an adult’s. If you advertise to children, be very careful about following all of the guidelines. No company wants the publicity that comes from accusations about possibly misleading children.

Professional Advertizing

I wonder if I have to have purchased this piece of crap in order to file a complaint against it?

I sure hope that girl's parents contacted the FTC about this.

ETA: I looked all through the FTC site and couldn't find a page or documents to file a complaint about deceptive advertizing. Typical government protection agency.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
go here and look to the right, You'll find a logo that says,"FTC Complaint Assistant". Click that to get the form.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

You're awesome man.

I just checked again and saw they have a smaller version of that right there on their home page. I must be getting tired to have missed that.

I'll shoot off a complaint in the morning and hopefully they will be forced to change their packaging.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I submitted a complaint to the FTC today.

I am complaining about deceptive adverting directed towards children. See the article at this link: gizmodo.com...

My children have asked me to buy this toy at the store and I am glad I saw this article before making any decisions. The product is clearly shown to be much larger than actual size on the packaging. I think it is criminal that the company should be able to market their product to children in such a deceptive way.

I believe they should be forced to recall all of their products which use such deceptive labeling and have them repackaged using accurate labeling before they are allowed to put them back on the store shelves (at the very least).

Anyone else who wants to add another complaint on this company can find Banzai's contact information HERE. You'll need it to fill out your complaint.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Deceptive packaging ruins a girl's summer? FA, I'm tempted to say this is a silly joke, but you did indicate this upset you, so I'm going to throw in my two cents on why you shouldn't be bothered, and perhaps, even a little upset with the girl and or her $ ie dad/mom.

1) This type of packaging "marketing" has been going on forever. My little NFL players never really moved as the commercials indicated on this game:

although that was an "amazing" run, ok.

2) Spatial awarness: I for one am skeptical of gigantic swimming pools that come in an easy to carry card board box. Never mind the obviously absurd but all too common photo of the midgets gently placed in the pool on the box itself.

3) You get what you pay for. I didn't catch the price, but what are we looking at here? $40? Why not just return the stupid thing and say it was broken? Then a small humans summer may improve, and she can buy a pony in a can.

Speaking of small things that have been grossly misadvertised and certainly scarred me as a child - this is the world's biggest lie:

SEA MONKEYS! No crowns, no unruly teenage monkeys - nothing but shrimp.

CJ
edit on 3-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

1) This type of packaging "marketing" has been going on forever. My little NFL players never really moved as the commercials indicated on this game:

I had that game when I was a kid. LOVED IT! Me and my brother used to play with that for hours until I would catch him cheating and start throwing the pieces at him. Then the REAL fun would start.

Its amazing how little it took to amuse us way back then. Now, kids need flashing lights and moving parts or they get bored quick.

I see your point but, you would think they would be better able to police against deceptive ads nowadays and that pic on the box was a HUGE exaggeration. Plus with gas prices today, you may have to take out a loan to be able to afford to go back to the store to return some piece of crap toy you wouldn't have bought in the first place if the pic was more realistic.

edit on 8/3/11 by FortAnthem because:

top topics

join