It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A message from 1959 that is just as pertinent now.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is a snippet of a BBC interview of Bertrand Russell from 1959

As members here on ATS in facts simply as human beings we deal with both of his points raised in thei video on a daily basis, Bertrands first point is about intellectualism, he says that when looking for the truth of a matter you should deal only in the facts and not be diverted by what you would like to be true, or what you think would be beneficial if it were true.

Now of course that does still leave us all with the problem of deciding on what the "facts" are in the first place

The second point he makes is a moral one which concerns tolerance and love and I think his words apply even more strongly now perhaps then they did when he spoke them.

Love is wise and hatred is foolish.
It seems like a very simple, almost child like message, but it is one that everyone forgets so easily.

I hope maybe this video can help remind some people of these two very simple things because they seem to be two points that are very quickly and easily forgotten.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
So simple, yet so true. What a pity such wisdom generally falls on deaf ears.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NocturnalPhantom

Yes I fear that this thread won't get much response because it isn't easily trollable, If people simply watch the video though I will be happy

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Hey Spanners,

Thanks for posting this, very true what he says. Never heard of this guy before and I will be looking at more of his videos when I get a chance.

(On a separate note - has your cat's left eye always dropped down when it reaches the center, or is he just getting old??
) Damn, now I can't stop noticing it

edit on 2-8-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Most people only deal with the facts that support their own position on any given matter. The problem is many facts exist for both sides of any issue. The key in tolerating others is being able to identify facts of the other side, and through love and respect build a better world for all of us.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I've heard his quotes before, but never saw the video. Can't say I'm in complete concordance, but the overall message is good and worth repeating. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Maybe, it is just me and I haven't been looking or reading for this type of stuff, but what happened to all of the respected philosophers? Do they exist anymore? Are there just too many of them now for just a couple of the best ones to get their opinions and views out to the masses? Are we just too caught up in work, bread, and circuses to care what they say? It seems like if there was ever a time when humanity needed intelligent advice on reality and our world as a whole it would be now.

I took Philosophy around two years ago and had a really good teacher, compared to others I’ve had, and I don’t remember him mentioning a modern day philosopher at all.

Good clip btw.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

AC Grayling makes a pretty good read, but most of them today are more interested in obscurantist word pedantry about the difference between "being" and "existing", and all that ego-masturbatory, chin-stroking bollocks.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Nice pick Dave. Have you read his "History of Western Philosophy"? It is a great winter read.

Best
S&F

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Well, it seems a few have come in, but the question is Will they remember it when they leave?
This was a great find by the way. First time I've ever heard him speak. Rather posh. He wouldn't probably understand me 'cos of my West Country accent!

I'd love to get hold of a nice thick anthology of his writing.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Good point. It's easier to defend your position if you pick and choose facts that fit. Harder if you consider all the facts available.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Sounds like a wise man. Keep it simple but direct. He doesn't like to BS with words. I like his style...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Love is the path. If anyone is interested in philosophy look up Manly P hall. His lectures always leave me feeling enlightened.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal

Nice pick Dave. Have you read his "History of Western Philosophy"? It is a great winter read.

Best
S&F

No I haven't read that.
I will take a look, thanks for the recommendation
edit on 2-8-2011 by davespanners because: owned by the spell check

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
WOW~! that was nothing less that awesome~!! Star & Flag for sure~!.. There should be a
'hall of remembrance' to all the great philosophers throughout the ages erected.. Did a quick Wiki on Bertrand Russell

Interesting to note..

Russell led the British "revolt against idealism" in the early 1900s. He is considered one of the founders of analytic philosophy along with his predecessor Gottlob Frege and his protégé Ludwig Wittgenstein, and is widely held to be one of the 20th century's premier logicians.[1

Russell was a prominent anti-war activist; he championed free trade and anti-imperialism.[5][6] Russell went to prison for his pacifism during World War I.[7] Later, he campaigned against Adolf Hitler, then criticized Stalinist totalitarianism, attacked the United States of America's involvement in the Vietnam War, and was an outspoken proponent of nuclear disarmament.[8] One of his last acts was to issue a statement which condemned Israeli aggression in the Middle East.[9]

In 1950, Russell was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, "in recognition of his varied and significant writings in which he champions humanitarian ideals and freedom of thought."[10]]
From WIki above ( emphasis is mine)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

The man has quite a character and resume, doesn't he?

I was looking up at some of his quotes, and I quite like these:

"All movements go too far."

"Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric."

"I would never die for my beliefs, because I might be wrong."

"It is said man is a rational animal. All my life I've been searching for evidence to support this."

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if so, this purpose has any similarity to ours."

(on atheism) "Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality."

"Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness."

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important."

"To fear love is to fear life. Those who fear life are already three parts dead."

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

It is good to share this with us!

When Bertrand Russell said this, he was in the latter years of his Life, but it was said during the first years of the Cold War, when the possibility of total destruction of human life on Earth via nuclear warfare between the U.S. and USSR was a distinct possibility. The emphasis of "interconnectedness" was probably in reference to that, but certainly can be applied at any time in history among groups.

IMO the last three decades worldwide saw fundamentalist religious figures replace philosophers, as guides to thinking and ideas. "Belief" became more important than facts, and various fundamentalist religious beliefs became entangled with govt activity. Rather than a morality based on inclusion and "interconnectedness" (with the admonishment to be tolerant), a morality based on excluding others became the norm. Infidels could be found anywhere and needed to be fought to the death.

In some places, intellectual pursuits were also made less during this period. Intellectuals were looked upon with suspicion by individuals who would rely more on superstition, with disdain by certain groups for an "elite" who either could not govern properly or who could sew the seeds of dissent for authoritarian rule. "Gut feelings" might replace facts.

Oh, re "facts". I like this old saying, "figures don’t lie, but liars figure." Facts nowadays can be spun so out of control.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Thanks for that great post, really well considered

I would agree that there has been a rather worrying streak of anti intellectualism running through society as of late, you only have too look at the people our societies idolize to see it

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Good thread and good video.

BR was a quote-machine.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I should like to add this nineteen second clip from Buckminster Fuller.
I was tempted to link his whole 58 minute interview,
but it is rather long and about half way through
one can tell that he percieves the interviewer
is failing to hear what he is saying.

But this short 1 minute clip
sums it up nicely.
And I think
he was
right.

David Grouchy

edit on 2-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join