It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares – Public Service and The Market

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by mnemeth1

I just dont like seeing bad business being rewarded.

The point of the show is that the market does not reward bad businesses.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

The Market may not, but Gordon Ramsey and the production company do. The worse your restaurant the bigger the reward. What about the good business's in the area? The ones who dont need Ramseys handouts, whose own business's will now suffer as a result of a saved failed business and it's ties to Gordon Ramsey.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I just dont like seeing bad business being rewarded.These restaurants are so bad that they deserve to fail. One episode, two girls running a restaurant up to a million dollars in the red, through their ineptitude to run a business, yet Ramsey roles in waves his magic wand and everything's all fine again

Why do you want people to fail when you can turn things around for little or no cost? Who does failure service? Many loose if the restaurant fails; the owners, the lender, the town and taxpayers who do not get the sales tax revenue of a successful business. As long as tax money is not paying for the turnaround, help is okay.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I've never seen him install a new POS or provide any major handouts on any show.

I think you are confusing his show with some other show.

Most of the changes he makes involve buying fresh ingredients, altering the menu, and improving the speed and quality of service. Occasionally he repaints the interior and makes a few minor cosmetic changes.

Nope.... He has installed a new POS system in the last 3 Kitchen Nightmares USA shows... he also puts up new signage, new tables and chairs and many other changes.

He spends a fair amount of money.... not every episode, but he does this regularly.

This show has been on for about 5 or 6 years and I've seen him do it on both the UK and US versions.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

And I agree mate, I like the show and It's nice to see him help failing restaurants.
But what about the one's that are good.... that could be really successful and already use fresh produce, have great staff and a fantastic menu... but just need a little help and advice... or just need some publicity?

Wouldn't make for much of a show sure, but you're right about rewarding failure.... It's not fair and it's not right but makes for good TV and that's all that matters right

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chuckk

Because the way these people run their business they dont deserve to survive, it's as simple as that. I feel sorry for the other business's in the area that have run their business's well all their lives, who will now lose out on trade, because people want to go to the one that Gordon Ramsy was at and helped, despite it being an awful business before hand. Not to mention all that free advertising they get.
edit on 2-8-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The Market may not, but Gordon Ramsey and the production company do.

Ramsay isn't in the business of "rewarding" bad restaurants for bad service, he is in the business of making money.

It just so happens that Chef Ramsay can make money (through TV advertising) by helping bad restaurants succeed.

If Ramsay didn't have a TV show on this topic, I'm sure he wouldn't be running around helping those businesses out of the kindness of his heart.

This is how ALL PRIVATE BUSINESS DEALS OPERATE - both parties must benefit or the exchange does not take place. It doesn't matter if you are buying gumballs from a gas station or you are Gordon Ramsay conducting a television show.

Ramsay gets his TV show and the restaurants get the benefits of his business acumen.

edit on 2-8-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
He gets mad at the self-destructive and delusional behavior of others.

He always starts off really nice. It all depends on how they respond. The guy knows his stuff.... and wont allow you to walk away without a good smack if you give him attitude.

And if you think the people you see in kitchen nightmares digging their own graves are a rarity... your going to be sick at the sight of reality. The suicide rate is gonna skyrocket in 1-2 years.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Dont get me wrong I do enjoy the show, it's a little on the predictable side, but goes to show just how bad some people are at running a business. It's just at the back of my mind while watching the effect on other local restaurants who will undoubtably suffer after Ramsey comes to town and pimps up their competitors restaurant.

How weird Ramseys Kitchen nightmares is just about to start now. I will watch it and come back to this thread. See if I can see what the OP was getting at.
edit on 2-8-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'm a fan of his shows too, but he digs in on people a little too much sometimes for my taste, but hey, it's theatre so I get it. I think everyone could use a real dose of honesty once in a while.

That said, I just don't understand how people can be ALL for government oversight or ALL for private sector, isn't it obvious that either extreme results in disaster. SOME regulation is good, yes some government is good. I believe in responsible social programs and also in hard work and not being lazy.

But what I'm NOT for is giving away all our money to the god damned banks and then turning your sights on the little guy to pay up now that the money is gone. Know what else, how about if you're wealthy, fair or not, you pay A LITTLE more for a while, you know, like the "temporary tax cuts" were supposed to be about in the first place.

The truth is our whole system is beyond repair, both politically and financially, it's only a matter of time now because we're NEVER paying back all those trillions.

Either we go belly up on our own, a comet hits us, aliens land in golden cigar shaped spaceships piloted by reptilian Scientologists or whatever else but one thing I know for sure, life as we know it is headed for one hell of big change, I'm almost rooting for the comet :-)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I've never seen him install a new POS or provide any major handouts on any show.

I think you are confusing his show with some other show.

Most of the changes he makes involve buying fresh ingredients, altering the menu, and improving the speed and quality of service. Occasionally he repaints the interior and makes a few minor cosmetic changes.

Nope.... He has installed a new POS system in the last 3 Kitchen Nightmares USA shows... he also puts up new signage, new tables and chairs and many other changes.

He spends a fair amount of money.... not every episode, but he does this regularly.

This show has been on for about 5 or 6 years and I've seen him do it on both the UK and US versions.

I haven't seen the USA version of the show. In the UK version, I've never seen him spend more than a few bucks on paint and a few unlit low cost signs.

If he does in the USA version, I don't see how this changes the basic premise of his show at all.

It doesn't matter what kind of POS system or signs a business has, if the service and food suck, they will be run out of business by the markets.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

It doesn't matter what kind of POS system or signs a business has, if the service and food suck, they will be run out of business by the markets.

You could have the best food in the world, but if you cant track your orders your not gonna make any money

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Dont get me wrong I do enjoy the show, it's a little on the predictable side, but goes to show just how bad some people are at running a business. )

Half the time I just think how and why did these people ever get into food?
Some of the kitchens, how they store food.... the staff, It's just disgusting.

It's always a family being torn apart by the business..... It is predictable, you know how it will end every week.... but man, It's also fun to watch.

Car crash tv.... but no one gets hurt in the crash

And yes, It is on now.

Random.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0
I'm a fan of his shows too, but he digs in on people a little too much sometimes for my taste, but hey, it's theatre so I get it. I think everyone could use a real dose of honesty once in a while.

That said, I just don't understand how people can be ALL for government oversight or ALL for private sector, isn't it obvious that either extreme results in disaster. SOME regulation is good, yes some government is good. I believe in responsible social programs and also in hard work and not being lazy.

But what I'm NOT for is giving away all our money to the god damned banks and then turning your sights on the little guy to pay up now that the money is gone. Know what else, how about if you're wealthy, fair or not, you pay A LITTLE more for a while, you know, like the "temporary tax cuts" were supposed to be about in the first place.

The truth is our whole system is beyond repair, both politically and financially, it's only a matter of time now because we're NEVER paying back all those trillions.

Either we go belly up on our own, a comet hits us, aliens land in golden cigar shaped spaceships piloted by reptilian Scientologists or whatever else but one thing I know for sure, life as we know it is headed for one hell of big change, I'm almost rooting for the comet :-)

The reason why I am against all government regulation (which are preventative laws, not real laws like laws against fraud for example) is because regulations create artificial barriers to market entry.

Consider:

A business has to get a permit before they can sell anything, this costs money.

A business has to get permission from the zoning board before they can sell anything, this costs money and might prevent them from opening entirely.

A business has to comply with all the accounting regulations, this costs money and creates additional overhead that a business might not need in order to operate successfully. These laws do nothing to prevent fraud, which is illegal anyways without any need for additional regulations on business operations.

A business has to comply with all the various tax laws, which again creates additional overhead.

A business has to comply with all the signage laws, which may prevent the business from marketing its services properly.

etc.. etc.. etc..

Regulations are always lobbied for by the existing industry itself (hence all the lobbyists) in order to create large barriers to market entry.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Well having already said you haven't seen the show, then you wont be aware of just how the system helps.
When you have inept staff in the kitchen, people who can't keep rack of slips... read dodgy handwriting and so on, then this machine is a life saver.... and most of these businesses can't afford one.

Obviously the food is Number 1.... without a doubt.... plus decor and staff, but this machine, in any modern busniess, retail, service... whatever, is essential.
It makes it so much easier for stock control, orders, cashing up... all manner of things.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Well having already said you haven't seen the show, then you wont be aware of just how the system helps.
When you have inept staff in the kitchen, people who can't keep rack of slips... read dodgy handwriting and so on, then this machine is a life saver.... and most of these businesses can't afford one.

Obviously the food is Number 1.... without a doubt.... plus decor and staff, but this machine, in any modern busniess, retail, service... whatever, is essential.
It makes it so much easier for stock control, orders, cashing up... all manner of things.

Sure it helps, but the UK version shows that they are not necessary.

A business with a nice POS system will operate more efficiently than one using ticket stubs, but that's not going to ultimately make-or-break a restaurant.

Its kind of like after-market rims on a new car. You can spruce up the car, but they will not turn a lemon into a model automobile.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Bad handwriting, improper food cost, control and inventory monitoring are all in the hands of the manager...

You dont need pos systems or rfid chips in all your delivered inventory if the manager does his job. We all know how lazy old people get though... and how much they think they deserve high pay without breaking a sweat because they are balding or have gray hair.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Well you're right, you can function without one... if you only have 15 tables or so then cool.
I used to work in the bookies (betting shop) and when we had to do it all by hand and there were no machines... damn, that was sooo much more work.

Once the POS came in, it freed up much more time, you could access prices (Odds) and all manner of things.
It literally revolutionised the Betting industry.... seriously.

These machines can absolutely save and enhance any business.

But... you can obviously do without and you're right, It's not THE number one priority... you need to get the basics right first.

edit on 2/8/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Ok, OP good post. Star and flag before I begin.

Once upon a time, before my hands started shaking due to neuro issues. I was supposed to be on Hell's Kitchen. Season 3 or 4. Chef Ramsay, is one of my culinary Gods, yes a God in his own way. Of the kitchen. (No worshiping of false idles) Anyway, working with his casting crew during the interviews, I learned a great deal about Chef Ramsay. He is as real on the show as he is in person I was informed.

Now mind you, I learned and was required to watch Chef Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares for a deli I was working in. Let me tell you. I hated him, I hated his ways, I hated his attitude, until I learned why he was the way he was. For people who do not understand, or have never been in a kitchen what he does is correct. I saw a note of his "attitude" for better words.

I shudder at the fact that people think he is just a show man. He has 5 Michillan stars(I know spelling), not to mention the people he has put through school, not to mention how many resturaunts he has actually helped along the way. The rebuild is sometimes needed. The people he has helped generally have not a clue about how to run a sucessful business. He shows them the way. So the man who is bashing him for such activity, What do you do for a living and who is the last person you really helped like this.

The buisness with succeed or fail on its own once he is gone, however when you have been in a Resturaunt and given your life to it. When someone like Chef Ramsay comes by, if you are smart you will listen. The lessons are not always for the employees, they are for the rest of us who still have a place to learn. Who want to learn.

How to save cost, how to provide good service, how to tweek resturaunts, how to work with others, and the list goes on.

I believe the OP point was how Chef Ramsay works and what he does not what the shows are about or the rights and wrongs of the people who he is trying to help. He shops at local shops, he shows you where to go to get fresh meat, he finds out how the Resturaunt's have hurt or helped the community. Above all from what I have seen of this amazing Chef and person, do the research on him, outstanding man in general. He is a top notch Chap (I hope that saying is right) who really cares about all that he does and gives 110%. He shows how to save money, how to make simple, beautiful dishes, and allows all in the industry to shine where they are hidden at times. I don't know how many Chefs he has sent to school and even hired. He is a one of a kind, and this is coming from "an American" who knows the kithen hadies of life and someone who could not stand him at first.

He does give things, through companies that give to him for I don't know, ummm promotion and tax write offs. Perhaps that would have been important to know before bashing him on levels.

Yes, if the resturaunt is going to fail it will fail. However the point, I hope, the OP is stating is how Chef Ramsay comes in and changes things so well that perhaps if our own Government had a Chef Ramsay America would not be American't.

Nice OP. Thank you for some sense in a senseless world at times.

Ainge

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

But at the end of each show, all I think is what a waste, waste all that time and effort on people who dont really deserve the help. I'd have much more respect if Ramsey was helping new ventures get off the ground, not propping up failing business's. Thats what the US Governments for.

Yeah like Jamie Oliver and his FIfteen restaurants, and the work hes done in American schools. As ive said before and i will continue to say it again and again, Jamie Oliver deserves to be a Knight.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join