It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama Set To Retire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
After 370 years of Tibetan tradition, the 14th Dalai Lama has decided that he is "out of date." Supposedly the Dalai Lama is a soul who has continually re-incarnated as the spiritual leader of the Tibetan people, life time after life time.

The Dalai Lama’s proposal to retire from his political role — formally ending a 370-year-old tradition — has finally been accepted by the Tibetan parliament-in-exile after 10 days of emotional debate in the north Indian town of Dharamsala.
Wall Street Journal; Chinarealtime report

The exiled parliament passed four unanimous resolutions Friday agreeing to constitutional changes that would allow the Dalai Lama to give up his role as head of the government-in-exile, which he established after fleeing his homeland in 1959. Under the changes, to be formalized in May, his political powers will be formally transferred to a new Prime Minister, known as the Kalon Tripa, who will take power after the final results of an election held last Sunday are announced in April.

Wall Street Journal; Chinarealtime report

The Dalai Lama says he feels "freer" since relinquishing his role as the exiled Tibetan government's political leader. Now, he says he can devote his energy to helping others live happier lives and to promoting religious harmony. (Voice of America)

youtu.be...

This isn't really "new" news, as it ws reported in March 2011. I did an ATS search on this news and didn't find anything. I was alerted to this news in an article from "The Rolling Stone" mag that arrived in my snail mail box yesterday.

This is the end of an era, an age. I think that the timing of his decision is a curious omen, with 2012 approaching. What does it mean to you?
edit on 2-8-2011 by windword because: trying to embed video

edit on 2-8-2011 by windword because: still trying

edit on 2-8-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Now it's the end.............first of all I didn't he could leave......something is wrong here, very, very wrong................
Oprah, Larry King and some others have left. The elites are leaving, this is a red flag for me. Definite red flag.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

This is the end of an era, an age. I think that the timing of his decision is a curious omen, with 2012 approaching. What does it mean to you?

It means he has resigned his position as the fictive head of a fictive state. He remains the Dalai Lama, spiritual head of four out of five Tibetan monastic orders, until he passes out of his current body and returns in his next incarnation. I suspect that he resigned his political role for two very good reasons. First, he is essentially a progressive person who realizes that the time for theocratic governments has passed, and, more importantly, by shedding himself of political power, it provides less incentive for the Chinese government to propose a rival successor.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Yes, I think you are correct. I don't think he ever suspected that he would become such a controversial public figure. I think he deserves to retire, and enjoy the peace he seeks to promote.

top topics

join