It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To ALL you PS3/Xbox addicts... You could die from prolonged playing! For Serious!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Source: abcnews.go.com...

The family of a 20-year-old British man who died as a result of a blood clot that formed after playing video games for up to 12 hours a day is speaking out about the health risks obsessive gaming can pose.

David Staniforth told The Sun that his son, Chris, spent most of his days playing the online game Halo and was accepted into a game design program at Leicester University.

"He lived for his Xbox. I never dreamed he was in any danger," Staniforth said.

Ok, so I highly doubt the majority of people play vids as much as this guy did, BUT, take notice! He developed a blood clot that eventually killed him due to being in his prolonged position playing Halo on Xbox for many, many hours straight! 12 hours a day is ridiculous, but any gamer has seen those guys who get a new game the day it comes out and by the time you get online playing, they already have a savage amount of points/levels... these are the guys that could die!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If you spend most of your waking life gaming and then the rest sleeping..
Are you actually living life?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This isn't news. Its already common knowlege that poor ergonomics can have serious health risks. When I started my job, my company's health & safety reps made me watch videos about proper workplace ergonomics. Sit awkwardly, and you could get back problems.

A while back some dumb kid starved to death playing WoW 24 hours a day. There was mass panic. People couldn't believe that video games could kill people outside of school shootings. I just laughed. If you don't eat, YOU DIE. This should be obvious.

Playing games isn't harmful. Being an idiot is.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Sad eh? I know a guy who used to play "everquest' ( I believe it was similar to WOW, maybe even was out before WOW.. i dunno) anyways, he used to play everyday for at least 10 hours a day down in his basement. When he came to school after a weekend, he was so pale and white from lack of sun and even just regular light.. scary and creepy! I know some of these games are addicting due to the fact that you can play/frag with your friends and all new games have levels of achievement that keeps people interested BUT yes.. if all you do is gain levels in a digital world... how is that a satisfying life?! they have no idea what they are missing out on...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I thought this kind of stuff was common sense, but I guess not. I love playing video games, but man...gotta use the little ladies room every now and again!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
This isn't news. Its already common knowlege that poor ergonomics can have serious health risks. When I started my job, my company's health & safety reps made me watch videos about proper workplace ergonomics. Sit awkwardly, and you could get back problems.

A while back some dumb kid starved to death playing WoW 24 hours a day. There was mass panic. People couldn't believe that video games could kill people outside of school shootings. I just laughed. If you don't eat, YOU DIE. This should be obvious.

Playing games isn't harmful. Being an idiot is.

Exactly.
When you play video games for days at a time drinking only energy drinks and not eating..
Your heart is going to give up eventually.

To be honest I put most of the blame on parents who give their kids consoles so they don't have to spend time doing actual parenting. The media raises a lot of our children now.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Just like people who live for music, people live for gaming.
To them, it's their lifestyle and they enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
This isn't news. Its already common knowlege that poor ergonomics can have serious health risks. .

Whats that saying... "common knowledge ain't so common!"

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Video game makes you go TOC ( obsessive compulsive trouble )
If those people could use this attribute in real life ( Tthe way they upgrade their in game character) they would be extremely competent. But they mostly think having a life is overrated . At least he died doing the thing he likes the most.. poor him.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

Yeah that's fine but if it comes to the extent of killing yourself its a problem isn't it.
There comes a point when friends and family should intervene if they love the person.
If they don't notice how bad the situation is then they are either not observant enough, don't have enough empathy skills or just don't care.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It is not so much playing videogames as it is a problem of sitting for too long every day for a period of time, combined with a lack of physical exercise.

You could remove the Xbox, and replace it with a computer terminal, or a semi truck, a desk...this is just meant to demonize videogames.

A lot of the storylines and ideas that would not be accepted in mainstream TV and movies do slip through in the videogame market.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So what happens when people sitting at a computer desk all day die from the same thing?
This could happen laying in bed, sitting in a chair, uncrossing your legs after it fell asleep.

Where is the video game angle really relevant?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
So what happens when people sitting at a computer desk all day die from the same thing?
This could happen laying in bed, sitting in a chair, uncrossing your legs after it fell asleep.

Where is the video game angle really relevant?

It's not relevant, the children just want something to blame death on and typically revert to the personalities and behaviors they have a negative view of. They don't tend to accept the reality that eveyone dies sometime or another, so he died doing what he loves, ide rather die that way then let myself get to the point of rotting alive in the chair I sit in after retirement. A quick death is better than a slow painful one, I think we can all agree on that, if you aren't insane that is.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
To be fair I thought I was going to drop dead from a clot the other day. My legs ached for two days.
Yeah...On my gravestone I'd have. ATS did it!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Oops, accidentally posted before finishing, I hate this phone.
edit on 2-8-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

Yeah that's fine but if it comes to the extent of killing yourself its a problem isn't it.
There comes a point when friends and family should intervene if they love the person.
If they don't notice how bad the situation is then they are either not observant enough, don't have enough empathy skills or just don't care.

Look at your post count since October of last year, I'm sure you weren't just posting you probably read some and researched some too. How much time is that that you've spent SITTING in front of that computer of yours.

What's different about this and a person playing a videogame. I really don't mean to point you out as this can be done for many of the users on this site. I also assume your sitting though you could be walking on a treadmill at the same time as researching, reading, and posting. I doubt it though.

eta: sorry misread the date, its February not October, my bad. Thought ide correct before the unecessary bickering started.
edit on 2-8-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta
He developed a blood clot that eventually killed him due to being in his prolonged position playing Halo on Xbox for many, many hours straight!

...that article is just more of the "blame videos for everything" push...

...some people form deadly blood clots while on a moderately short flight, 3-4hrs... did the plane kill them?... was it the altitude?... was sitting for four hrs really a key component?... no to all... they already had the critical components to forming a blood clot...

...long haul truckers sit for MANY hours with few choices of how to reshift their position... same is true of cab drivers and people who work 8hr shifts at a desk... think about it...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This thread title is completely disingenuous.

The kid died from a blood clot in his legs. Playing video games did not cause his blood clot, inactivity may have. There is absolutely nothing linking his condition to playing video games and even the article says as much.

"Playing video games, long car rides and long plane rides predispose you to clots,"

So guess what? You WILL NOT die from prolonged playing and you can prevent blood clots by getting up and stretching a bit. Much like you would if you were taking a long car ride. Eventually you stop, walk around a bit, stretch your legs, then get back on the road.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

He developed a blood clot that eventually killed him due to being in his prolonged position playing Halo on Xbox for many, many hours straight!

...... think about it...

I think you may be asking a bit to much, Haha.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...that article is just more of the "blame videos for everything" push...

...some people form deadly blood clots while on a moderately short flight, 3-4hrs... did the plane kill them?... was it the altitude?... was sitting for four hrs really a key component?... no to all... they already had the critical components to forming a blood clot...

...long haul truckers sit for MANY hours with few choices of how to reshift their position... same is true of cab drivers and people who work 8hr shifts at a desk... think about it...

Yes, lately there has been some backlash against vids.. I read something about Norway pulling a bunch of 'violent' vids due to the attack that happened. I don't beleive that it was the Video games itself.. it is the lack of activity involved when playing vids for that long. Yes, many other things, (long haul trucking, airplanes, etc) can cause blood clots as well.. I posted it because i think that a majority of ATSer would most likely play a high amount of vids.. more of a health warning to our fellow members. think about it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join