Are republicans without conscience or empathy?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
When democrats stop supporting a woman's right...

Yes..because the right to murder is very important.

When democrats stop fighting for the lower income families and fully outwardly embrace the richest of the rich like republicans do...

What have the democrats done for lower income families to better themselves besides making them more dependent on government?

And embracing the wealthy Americans who provide jobs and services to the public that they want and need? How dare they!!

When democrats stop supporting welfare, unemployment, and other means of survival for those who are in need...

I think this sentence was just incomplete. It should have finished...

...self sufficiency will prevail and the country will be a better place.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sayaangel
To the OP: The premise you begin with is severely flawed. Good, intelligent and empathetic people can severely disagree about how to address problems. Intentions have little to do with the success or failure of government policies. Calling something a 'war on ______" doesn't mean our actions actually impact the problem. There's a fantastic book called "The Vision of the Anointed- Self Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy" by Thomas Sowell that addresses exactly these notions in great detail and respectfully to all. Take a deep breath and realize that demonizing people who disagree with you is the first step down a well trodden road of tyranny, one that often leads to re-education camps and genocide. If you want to discuss actual issues, and are willing to have the kind of conversations that deal with specifics, you will find that many people embrace that and you may find you are not so far apart on the issues as first assumed. Since many of us are different ages, have different religions, professions and interests wouldn't you expect to find a vast diversity of experience and opinion amongst free thinkers? Why is that scary to you? Would you prefer a society where those who disagree are silenced or even destroyed?

Demonizing people.... Like demonizing illegals? Muslims? Gays? Unemployed? Low income families? You mean when people demonize those groups, showing a complete lack of empathy, and even racist undertones... Yeah, I agree, that's pretty bad.

I don't have a problem with differing opinion... in fact, in democratic circles you'll find a lot of differing opinion... Whereas in republican circles I tend to see more of a hive mentality.

When we have consistent hatred toward illegals, gays, muslims, and low income families... When we see no problem spending money on war, or giving tax breaks to the most wealthy individuals, but have huge issues with low income families receiving welfare, or that unemployed are lazy, zero empathy toward illegals who risk their lives to come here, only to work sh*t jobs that pay next to nothing... but then on the flipside support corporations using unlimited funds for campaigns under the notion of free speech. Something is terrible wrong with these republican voters. They clearly hate outsiders or people who are different, they clearly resent them... and so... it makes me wonder... if to be a republican is to swallow your empathy and conscience and only vote for money.

Seems like a fair question. If anything I think it's weak that republicans squirm under the question and don't just accept it's who they are.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
edit on 2-8-2011 by neo96 because: double post

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
i will tell you what government does nothing that supports lower incomes citizens or the middle class because those champions of the people who push for more government (democrats) that is the leading cause of wealth destruction in this country.

and it is a fact since 1935 the social programs and social engineering that democrats claim to be helping has been the main cause of the destruction.

agian dont see a conscience there or empathy.

whereas that party(republicans) pushs for a long term system of self sustain wealth creation system that has lifted more people out of poverty than that government has done nothing but to put more and maintain them in a lifetime of poverty.

you think people have it bad now its nothing compared to a country without rightwingers.

oh yeah i remember a country like that the former soviet union no rich folk there only poor
edit on 2-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think after reading all these posts... it's fair to say that the majority of voting republicans are judgemental cynics, who only care about themselves, and put their love of money above the needs of their fellow man.

You come up with excuses why welfare should be axed, or people shouldn't have healthcare, or how it's somehow the peoples' fault that unemployment is so bad...

All I see is a ridiculous amount of delusional hate, resentment, and intolerance from the right.

You're so focused on money and the rich LOVE it. They say, really, you don't want healthcare, do you? Really, welfare should go away, don't you think... really, spending cuts on all entitlements... people should take care of themselves... and yet the rich greedy bastards can't take care of themselves without their super precious tax cuts?

The rich convince republican voters to give up entitlements... because the rich republicans will never give up anything they feel entitled too.
edit on 2-8-2011 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualzombie

well you know what you cant spread all the goodness and joy in the world if you aint got the cash.

and that cash comes from somewhere and it has to have a constant supply and then you finally get to a point where you cant squeeze blood from a turnip.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

All you've done is add more vitriol. The carictures you paint and claim to understand are real human beings, not one dimensional hate machines. I urge you to turn from this path, it can only lead to despair. Not from the path of pursuing liberal solutions to problems, but of debasing and demonzing others. Where does this lead to for you? Do you actually know conservatives of any stripe in realife? If some particular person(s) hurt you, that's terrible, but it does not give you permission to characterize the motivations of vast populations of humanity. You are then guilty of what you claim to decry, how can you not recognize that?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

All you've done is add more vitriol. The carictures you paint and claim to understand are real human beings, not one dimensional hate machines. I urge you to turn from this path, it can only lead to despair. Not from the path of pursuing liberal solutions to problems, but of debasing and demonzing others. Where does this lead to for you? Do you actually know conservatives of any stripe in realife? If some particular person(s) hurt you, that's terrible, but it does not give you permission to characterize the motivations of vast populations of humanity. You are then guilty of what you claim to decry, how can you not recognize that?

Over the last 10 years I have been quite shocked to find just how many real human beings are one dimensional hate machines. On the topic of demonizing and intolerance, this is specifically where I am coming from. I have become intolerant to intolerance itself. When I see a group defend the rich while debasing the poor, I have a problem with that. When I see the wealthiest and most corrupt bring down the financial system, only to label the unemployed as lazy, I have a real problem with that. This demonizing you speak has been happening for a long time. Do you remember when it was anti-American to oppose an illegal war? Have you not heard the racial undertones of people who attack Obama? Do you honestly not see the racial hatred and blame that has been directed towards illegals? And what do we get from republicans? No compromise ever. Especially on anything that effects the wealthy CEOs who truly control the republican party. I have an intolerance toward intolerance. It has been building for quite some time. Now it's here. It's honest. It calls a spade a spade.
edit on 2-8-2011 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

This is a response to a statement you made in my direction earlier. Forgive me if the thread has moved in a different direction.

You seem to paint with a broad brush. I am strongly opposed to wars of aggression, the patriot act, and any unjust use of the state. Their is nothing in the Bush era that resemble anything that once stood for Republican values. Goldwater and Taft would role in their graves if they saw the party of Bush.

That being said. Look beyond the liberal/conservative blinders. Obama extended the Patriot act, and is ready to invade other countries as Bush. The problem is beyond party. It is institutionalized corporate military/banking/energy power ruling in the garment of republicanism.

The more we partake in political childishness the more damage we do to the country. Only through acting like adults can we hope to change. The partisan debates are for those who really do not care about the country. They only want to feel right. They get off on proving someone else is wrong, or a worse person than themselves. They may pretend to be justified in their outrage, and may even believe it. Really though it is pathetic. It is ego at work. Sadly, this ego mentality is so prevalent that all political progress is retarded. I have a mixture of scorn, and pity for those caught in the left/right paradigm. It is quite unfortunate for those who have the ability to see the cost it has for our future.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

How is pointing out instances of demonization a rationalization for you engaging in the same behavior?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
To the OP's question, possibly. But after much research, I've come to the conclusion that the reason republican's policies seem so cold-hearted is because they are based on ideals, not reality.

E.G. 1. They always claim women shouldn't get pregnant before marriage, because they shouldn't be having sex until they are married. And women should be more responsible and not get pregnant so they wouldn't ever need an abortion. That'd be great in the fantasy world, but in the real world, mistakes are made, and people have sex *gasp* before marriage and often times with multiple partners. Our policies now are better than what Rome had. In rome, the father could kill their children at ANY age. They ONLY killed after the child was born. Just be thankful you aren't living back then.

2. They always claim people shouldn't need welfare programs because the people on welfare are lazy and just need to get a job. Another belief based on fantasy. This is the real world. Many people are trying very hard to find a steady job to feed their family. And they didn't choose that. Many were born into that. Most republicans have never really worked. They've "worked."

3. There shouldn't be government regulations. Sadly, this is the real world. Corporations would poison you with arsenic if it weren't illegal.

And you won't find many republicans asking the question in my sig. That's the thing about conservatives. They always believe they are correct and rarely, if ever, question their beliefs. It's sort of what makes them conservative.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

How is pointing out instances of demonization a rationalization for you engaging in the same behavior?

Are you trying to get heady with me? That to fight against evil is to become evil? That sort of thing? Sounds like an interesting attempt to spin away from the truth that there is a serious infestation of intolerance, resentment, and hatred coming from the right. There is a total lack of empathy for other people... I know many republicans and have had many discussions and the one thing I see across the board... They all have their heads up FOX News rectum and only care about themselves,their money, they hate outsiders like gays and muslims, they resent people on welfare who they think are all lazy, and they completely endorse war and torture. As soon as all of this becomes false, then you can accuse me of demonizing.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You create cardboard cut-outs out of human beings who have different opinions than you and infuse them with hateful motives. Then you do the very thing you accuse these fake people of doing, spread hate & demonize. What is your end game? Why do you blame TV channels and strangers for your behavior? Where is your empathy? Nobody 'makes' us react with evil- that's what abusers say (they 'made' me do it). You're free to stop choosing to willfully demonize other human beings at any time. The passion you clearly have for action would be so much more powerful and maybe even effective.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
reply to post by Jezus

Are you sure? Then let's see the quotes...otherwise quit making stuff up.

Making stuff up?

Again...I'm not saying all republicans feel this why...and I'm not saying this is hateful (you did).

But it is ridiculous for your to pretend this view is not prevalent in the republican party...

Originally posted by Charmed707
Many of those people in "need" are perfectly capable of making their own living. They just refuse to because they know there's no reason to look for a job when they can make just as much by just walking to their mailbox every month. I constantly see this first-hand...

...What a laughable comparison. Multiple people moving furniture gets the job done faster and saves one person from doing all the back-breaking work themselves. Taxpayers are the ones busting their butts working only to allow the lazy people to lay around and not have to work for what they have.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
when the democrats stop supporting abortion,classwarfare and pushing social programs that enslave millions of americans with no other means of support as it stands right now i am not convinced they have any conscience or empathy.
edit on 2-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

First let me say I am not a democrat nor a republican but am a liberal. With that said...

We do not SUPPORT abortion. We don't go around telling women to just get rid of their babies, wanted or not. We support a woman's right to chose because we don't presume to know what it is like to be in a situation in which an abortion is considered. Even women who do not believe in abortion get them. This speaks volumes.

We also do not SUPPORT class warfare, nor did we create it; but we seem to be the only ones who recognize it even exists right now. Everything suggests the class warfare has come straight from republicans. Union busting, shrinking entitlement programs, refusing to change a tax code that heavily favors the wealthy, and refusing to do a single thing in congress to create jobs even though this was their platform that got them the mandate during mid-terms. Not to mention the clear evidence that the income gap is widening more and more with each passing year Republican- and fake-Democrat-backed legislation passes congress and with each ruling from the conservative Supreme Court.

Your last comment about us enslaving Americans is laughable. Especially considering you mentioned that these so-called "slaves" have no other means of support. How is it enslaving someone by providing them with support when they would otherwise have no way to feed their family or get their kids healthcare? People enslave themselves into the welfare system because of apathy and multitude of issues that plague tour society as a result of below-standard education and sub-par healthcare. I guarantee if we started seriously investing in and reforming our education system, welfare recipients would plummet in a few year's time. If you actually look at poverty statistics, it is absolutely clear that something is happening beyond the control of the individual.

To be admittedly rhetorical, a simpleton can see the empathy and compassion for others in liberal stances; however, where is the compassion and empathy in refusing to care for the needy, supporting tax break after tax break for the wealthy and cuts after cut to education, health programs, and law enforcement programs? Where is the compassion in forcing others to conform to the ideological beliefs of others while also refusing to provide alternatives other than idealistic pipe dreams that have never been a reality in human society? In fact, all of this points to self-preservation and a lack of compassion for others on the receiving end of having others personal beliefs forced onto them.
edit on 2-8-2011 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

So you are going to judge all Republicans based on a handful of psots on a CT website? Interesting. Not very scientific.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Just to put things in a bit more of a perspective, it was Obama who threatened to withold SS checks to Seniors if Cngress didn't do things his way. Blackmail and Extortion ring a bell?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

shhhh dont say that you just ruined the whole thread

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by nunya13

Just to put things in a bit more of a perspective, it was Obama who threatened to withold SS checks to Seniors if Cngress didn't do things his way. Blackmail and Extortion ring a bell?

You're kidding right? So, this extortion... Is this how he managed to get his way? Is this how republicans were forced to give up tax cuts for the super rich? Or was it a stalemate where republicans said there was no way, even in the face of default, that the top 1% would give up tax breaks in order to save the entire country from defaulting? And was it at that point that Obama said if we couldn't work out a deal he couldn't guarantee seniors would get their SS checks? And did Republicans care? Did that matter? Or did republicans stand their ground and make sure that once again the wealthy only profit off the last 10 years of misery while everyone else suffers?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
I feel this is a very legitimate question... In fact, I wonder if it's part of the republican ideology to frown on things like conscience or empathy? Do republicans view empathy as weakness?

I ask because I see a lot of posts about liberals being lazy, or the unemployed being lazy. That needy families should be cut from the welfare they count on to survive, or that healthcare should be cut. Muslims should be killed. Illegals should be killed. Enemies should be tortured. That we should embrace Big Oil over better renewable sustainable energy. And a complete lack of care and a complete lack of responsiblity for the envionment.

I see a very cold mentality devoid of all empathy, and in fact, very resentful toward the unemployed, the poor, and the needy. Hatred and blame toward illegals, with zero empathy expressed. I see a hatred toward muslims and a patriotism toward the U.S. that even war crimes committed by the U.S. is not an issue for republicans. Things like torture are shrugged off or coldly embraced.

There is just so much coldness from Republicans on what feels like every issue... I just have to ask... Are republicans without conscience or empathy?

Yes, empathy is already proved a bad word.
I am not saying they are without empathy. I
am saying they can get by without it.
edit on 2-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join