It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are republicans without conscience or empathy?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualzombie

Talk about the the pot calling the kettle black.Is this it for the progressives now,no debate,no decussion about anything,just hate.Job well done ......little puppet.

You don't get it do you?its the same head talking out of both sides of "its"mouth.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It may be surprising to see the US at the low end of social mobility when it is touted as the land of dreams and possibilities for anyone, no matter who they are. The UK is also surprisingly at the low end.

LMAO Divide and Conquer, IMHO the Republicans and even the caving in Democrats do not want to impact the wealthy, otherwise the wealthy will cause the people to revolt (see European history), this is a real possibility here in the USA and the UK becasue as far as I have discovered the real history is no longer being taught, so the "people" can more easily be incited to violence when the rich and powerful feel threatened (they are VERY afraid of being one of the serf's). The more this change the more they stay the same.

Professors Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett, from the Equality Trust, produced an informative lecture video titled Inequality: The enemy between us? March 2009.

In the lecture, compelling evidence is presented by the two professors that once nations are industrialized, more equal societies almost always do better in terms of health, well-being and social cohesion and that large income inequalities within societies destroys the social fabric and quality of life for everyone:

Interestingly, the US and UK are the biggest proponents of neoliberal economic ideology, which has often played down concerns about inequality and instead focused more on raising the lot for everyone
It looks as if the American Dream is far more likely to remain a dream for Americans than it is for people living in Scandinavian countries (Where you can stay on hand outs from cradle to grave). Greater inequalities of outcome seem to make it easier for rich parents to pass on their advantages. While income differences have widened in Britain and the USA, social mobility has slowed. Bigger income differences may make it harder to achieve equality of opportunity because they increase social class differentiation and perhaps prejudice.The U.S. itself also has the largest gap and inequality between rich and poor compared to all the other industrialized nations. For example, the top 1% receives more money than the bottom 40% and the gap is the widest in 70 years. Furthermore, in the last 20 years while the share of income going to the top 1% has increased, it has decreased for the poorest 40%.

In addition, and almost counter to conventional wisdom, the report finds that in cities that have high levels of inequality increases the chance of more disparities increases, not reduces, with economic growth. This is because high levels of urban inequality have a dampening effect on economic growth and contribute to a less favorable environment for investment.
The report also added that in such cities, the lack of social mobility tends to reduce people’s participation in the formal sector of the economy and their integration in society. This exacerbates insecurity and social unrest which, in turn, diverts public and private resources from social services and productive investments to expenditures for safety and security.
A Canadian study in 1998 suggested that the wealthiest nations do not have the healthiest people; instead, it is countries with the smallest economic gap between the rich and poor.
While ideological debates will always continue on the causes of inequality, both the political left and right agree that social cohesion (social justice or family values, etc) is suffering, risking the very fabric of society if it gets too out of control.
Crime and unhappiness stalk unequal societies. In the UK the bottom 50% of the population now owns only 1% of the wealth: in 1976 they owned 12%. Our economic system’s incentive structure, instead of “trickle-down”, is causing a “flood-up” of resources from the poor to the rich. Inequality leads to instability, the last thing the country or world needs right now.

Even the former hardline conservative head of the International Monetary Fund, Michel Camdessus, has come to the conclusion that “the widening gaps between rich and poor within nations” is “morally outrageous, economically wasteful and potentially socially explosive”.

Above subsistence levels, what undermines our sense of well-being most is not our absolute income levels, but how big the gaps are between us and our peers. Allowing the super-rich to live apart from society is as damaging in its own way as the exclusion of the poorest.
The political costs of inequality are recognized and accepted as being too high. The economic costs of fighting effects are also high. Citing some research, the BBC also noted that for each dollar spent on poverty causes, seven dollars was saved on consequences.
Unfortunately, governments are in a difficult situation, because they “can try to address inequality, but they will anger the rich”.
Inequality is also characterized by a concentration of wealth, which means a concentration of political power. Historically, one of the main reasons for continued poverty has been in order to maintain this power.

Health and social problems are worse in more unequal countries
Health and social problems are not related to average income in rich countries
Child well-being is better in more equal rich countries
Child well-being is unrelated to average incomes in rich countries
The prevalence of mental illness is higher in more unequal rich countries
Drug use is more common in more unequal countries
Life expectancy is longer in more equal rich countries
Infant mortality rates are higher in more unequal countries
More adults are obese in more unequal rich countries
Educational scores are higher in more equal rich countries
Teenage birth rates are higher in more unequal rich countries
Homicide rates are higher in more unequal rich countries
Children experience more conflict in more unequal societies
Rates of imprisonment are higher in more unequal societies
Social mobility is higher in more equal rich countries
More equal societies are more innovative

Truely a case of where helping those that can't or even won't help themselves actually helps us all.

www.globalissues.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Lets be fair, where are the jobs, why no funnding for the Faa, Your Democartic Congress was killing jobs under Clinton and Bush (Papa), go back and look at the facts, why take auto worker jobs and send them to Mexico, why have Mexican truck drivers, driving our commmerce, which should have been made in this Country, Under reagen, congress pass a law stating that Big corps, Can buy out little Corps., without government Oversite, yes your Democrats, SEC a Corp. accounting agency, allowed retirment benefits of office workers to be stolen in the form a worthless bonuses, how much did you or your parents lose. go back and read it there--Peace

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Wake up people. We are dying, its no to late blood has to be shed. Sucks but that is the way it is now. Stand up before it is to late. WE STILL OWN this world we have won before we can win again. WAKE UP PLZ. Think of who YOU love it is the key.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
We as Democrats should also feel empathy and compassion for Republicans because of their delusional idea that money and power are going to somehow give them happiness. Or that ruminating on and on about the government holding a gun to their head is going to somehow clear their mind of hatred. We should feel sorry for them just as much as the poor because they are the ones who have gained the world but lost their souls. It's really sad and I only have compassion on them because they are deluded, filled with hatred and attached to material wealth.

They misunderstand the prophets, they spread their heresy around the world, they pile up treasures where moth and rust corrupt, they only think of themselves. And if you read Revelation it's the merchants and the powerful who crafted all the fine things, precious gold, fine woods, oils and garments (the rich capitalists) who will be the ones in the ships outside of Babylon and in the caves crying, "Woe woe unto you Babylon. All these things are now gone in one hour!" Also in Revelation remember it says, "And there came a time when those who destroyed the earth will one day be destroyed."

By the way I'm saying all this as a Buddhist. But I can also identify with Christ. I do believe in the power of the mind and I do believe some people can see into the future. One day there will be a reckoning. Call it Karma or whatever you want. It's all the same. Some people just don't see it because they think this world is all there is. They don't care about other people and one day it will all come back to them. That will be a sorry state for them indeed. But for the poor it won't be so bad because we have never had anything anyway.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I believe they are brainwashed, most from an early age by their own parents, that there is only ONE correct way of belief- their way. You can't be homosexual, you can't dye your hair a crazy color, you can't get an earring, or a tattoo I have an illegal tattoo. I got in in Oklahoma when tattoos were illegal. Now they are legalized, but I am sure many other places still have it outlawed. As if it's ANY business of the state to tell the people what they can do with their own bodies.

It's simple, outright fascism. Do as I say or you are an enemy, a nail that must be hammered down.

Both of these "two" parties are controlled by the same masters; don't let it bother you too much, anyone who isn't an independent and who hasn't removed themselves from the fraudulent system of voting is simply a pawn being moved around on a chess board.

As for personally, yes, it's very frustrating to deal with these people who have no regard for their fellow man, but there's nothing you can do. Your influence on a person is a tiny, inconsequential thing compared to the constant propaganda that is pumped into their home, car and office every single day and night. And if they are a very closed minded person and think they know everything... well, good luck even getting them to be civil.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I think a post like this is very limited, you can never view a whole group in a certain way. Personally I feel for everyone around although for a whiule I have believed that replublicans were correct. It had nothing to do with not caring or no empathy because most people that knoe me would say I have that in way too much abundance.

My ideas were based on what I truly believed was best for everyone, or at least most people. I think a lot of people that decide between replublican or democrat do so based on their own personal beliefs on what they believe would be best for the country and everyone in it.

The problem as I see it is all sides both republican and democrat are flawed. Our country seems like it has become a country based on power \and not based on morals or caring for other fellow human beings. Having believed in this country and been in the military I have been places where I would have gladly risked my lie to help others but we weren't authorized to do anything because it seemed our country would not benefit from anything in that area. It seems we want peo[ple to believe that we are acting for the good of everyone (regardless of party) although to me it seems we will only take the high ground when it benefits the USA.

I still believe this country can be great, even beyond great, but our two party system has hampered everything. We get no choices other than the choices forced upon us by the two parties. It seems we get to chose between two piles of crap and which one stinks the least.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It's kinda funny that so many Liberals in this thread have the idea that all Republicans and Conservatives like and or have "Power and Money" .. When in fact the vast majority do not? And to those that are not rich and powerful they seem to have the notion that we are misguided by the notion that if we support Conservative ideas we will ourselves be rich and powerful.

Talk about stupidity..

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
To give an example of how heartless both parties can be when I was deployed in the middle east for the first time on the USS Independance was the same time Bill Clinton got caught having his affair

The day after it was publicized we were bombing Iraq, they had violated every UN order put against them but somehow we didnlt seem to care until our president was caught with another woman. Somehow while I was there and my ship was bombing Iraq the States didn;t seem to hear about it.My parents had no idea at the time and were surprised when I had a chance to discuss it, at the time we were not informed that it was secret.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Battleline

Talk about the the pot calling the kettle black.Is this it for the progressives now,no debate,no decussion about anything,just hate.Job well done ......little puppet.

You don't get it do you?its the same head talking out of both sides of "its"mouth.

Yes, I understand that there are puppet masters at the top pulling strings on both sides. However, if we can focus on the voting puppets. Why do we have voting puppets that across the board seem to hate or blame illegals, gays, muslims, low income, and unemployed? In your language... Both sides have puppets... It seems the republican voting puppets consistently side with big money and the top 1%, while showing disdain, resentment, or blame for illegals, muslims, the environment, low income families, gays, and the unemployed.

Which makes me wonder if those republican voter puppets seem to lack empathy or compassion... while the democratic voting puppets seem to respond more to empathy and compassion by generally supporting gays, muslims, the environment, low income families, and the unemployed.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Ponerology

Loosely Translated - The Science of Evil

Little Tommy is born healthy in all ways except one. He has lesions on his brain.

The effects are imperceptible, and as Tommy ages even he isn't aware he's different.

Tommy's birth condition has disabled the part of the human brain that experiences empathy.

Despite his absence of an ability to experience empathetic emotions, Tommy can see that he must act in a way agreeable to society. He becomes a keen observer of how others behave.

To compensate, his brain rewires itself to have enhanced observational skills. He becomes a sort of cold sociologist.

Tommy puts on a good act and even cries, although rarely. But still he doesn't know that he's different. He wonders if other people are pretending and assumes they must be.

Tommy is a psychopath.

Tommy is able to detect who the other psychopath is in a room of 100 people, but doesn't get the irony.

It doesn't matter who Tommy grew up to be. But, the ponerolic psychopath is typically intelligent, charismatic, a leader, not prone to guilt or depression and usually working as a bureaucratic manager or government employee.

Is Tommy a Republican or Democrat?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I think anyone who even votes just blows. It's apparent that whoever you elect is only going to do the same crap that makes you angry.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I’m going to interject here and try to divert your attention back to the two fundamental issues that are the root of everything being discussed here, “Basic Human Rights” and “The Government’s Duty to Protect Human Rights”. These are the only two things that are in any way relevant when discussing politics. Everyone can agree that every human being deserves to be treated fairly regardless of race, religion, age, or sex. Therefore, we can all agree that there is a fundamental need to have a government that will insure our rights as human beings. These are the only two principles needed in order to have a working civilization. I’m now going to go into some of my personal definitions that describe these two basic ideas. Please feel free to correct me anywhere that you see fit.

Human Rights-

The right to govern oneself as he or she see fit.
We each are entitled to be able to decide how or if we worship a higher power, pursue success by means of our own choosing, to own private property, to be able to think or speak freely, to be able to defend oneself, family, and property from threats of harm or theft, and the right to obtain and share information.
The right to be protected and defended by law.
We each are entitled to protection from any person or group that should seek to violate our human rights.
The right to justice.
We each are entitled to seek equal justice when our human rights have been violated.

The Government’s Duty to Protect Human Rights-

Duty to protect citizens from foreign enemies.
It is their duty to ensure that our human rights are not violated by foreign governments, groups, or individuals.
Duty to protect citizens from domestic enemies.
It is their duty to ensure that our human rights are not violated by domestic groups, or individuals.
Duty to investigate civil complaints.
It is their duty to ensure that those who violate another’s human rights are found and brought to justice.
Duty to deliver fair justice
It is their duty to ensure that after a person has been proven guilty of violating or assisting in the violation of another’s human rights the violator be punished accordingly.

These are the principles that our country along with every other democracy was founded upon. Also, the founders of each democracy intended that government laws not stray from these principles because any deviation would result in the violation of citizens’ human rights. Democracies are meant to ensure that anyone can achieve the success that they are capable of as long as it is not at the expense of another’s human rights. This is by far the fairest system that has ever been used to govern.
The problem is the actual human element. Everyone likes the idea of being represented by a person who has their best interest in mind while running the country. We would all like to think that when a politician pitches us their platform, that he will do what he says and hold true to his proclaimed agenda. This is rarely the case, however, and there is a logical explanation for this. Even the most noble politicians have to look out for their own personal interest such supporting their families by earning a dependable income. Also keep in mind that in order to be a credible lawmaker, one would usually need fairly decent college education, thus making politics a career choice. Now ask yourself what moral principles that you would compromise for the sake of your children’s wellbeing? Most would do anything to keep a career job that afforded comfort and security for our families, even misrepresent those who put us there. The point is, being an elected official is a JOB, and even if you aren’t a power hungry crook, you still have to look out for those that directly depend on you. Would you give up your career to uphold principles if you were pressured to do otherwise?
I usually vote republican because they lean toward smaller government. However, I do not agree with them on most social issues like gay marriage and abortion. I also disagree with the democrats on many of their social position like healthcare (and yes that is a social issue), and social programs. I do not vote democrat because social issues are what their main focus seems to be and I feel that the government has no business handling many of the matters that they do. Yes there are some good social program concepts out there such as social security and Medicare for elderly and for those who are handicapped and really incapable of working, unemployment for those who pay in as much as they draw, and a couple of others.
We can all agree that most social welfare programs are widely abused. If there’s a way to take advantage of something, people will find a way to do it. People want life to be made easier for them and many politicians take advantage of that by promising more accessible government assistance. They take advantage of people who pay little or no taxes anyway and probably wouldn’t give a damn if they didn’t have something to gain. That’s what the tea baggers are always yelling about and why the ignorant buffoons of the party end up embarrassing themselves by making generalizations like OP did when he started out by implying that republicans were basically sociopaths.
Let me ask you this Mr. OP, if these politicians are so worried about the less fortunate, why not set an example by donating their money and trading their nice homes and cars for something very modest in order to give to the poor? Why don’t all of the liberals who supposedly lose sleep at night because others have less, give all that they can to fight the social injustices that they are so concerned about? No, you don’t want to do that because when it comes down to it, it really doesn’t bother you that badly. Think about it, when they raise taxes in order to pay for social programs, it’s essentially a redistribution of wealth. I must insist that you post you definition of socialism, because it’s starting to look a lot more like socialism than democracy to me.
I personally would rather give businesses large and small the tax breaks, at least then they would have less overhead cost and more incentive to expand and hire people that want to help themselves. This is why W was elected in the first place. I personally think he was one of the worst presidents we have had, but we would be in the same place right now economically if Gore or Kerry would have won and followed through with half of the stuff that they were promising. Yes, I agree with you about Bush’s war on terror being moronic as do most republicans at this point. I said from the beginning that terrorism is an idea, you can’t fight or win a war against an idea. Most republicans and democrats who educated and aware of how the world really works feel the exact same as I do about politics.
Nobody in Washington is there because they are only worried about making the world a better place, they have a job that helps maintain there lifestyle and they all sell out to keep it. What we are experiencing economically right now is simply the end result of all the promises kept to ones who help them stay in office by deviating from true democratic principles. The “socio-reps” that you asked about simply understand that you have help yourself before you can start helping others… We’re in the red, man!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie

Originally posted by Battleline

Yes, I understand that there are puppet masters at the top pulling strings on both sides. However, if we can focus on the voting puppets. Why do we have voting puppets that across the board seem to hate or blame illegals, gays, muslims, low income, and unemployed? In your language... Both sides have puppets... It seems the republican voting puppets consistently side with big money and the top 1%, while showing disdain, resentment, or blame for illegals, muslims, the environment, low income families, gays, and the unemployed.

Which makes me wonder if those republican voter puppets seem to lack empathy or compassion... while the democratic voting puppets seem to respond more to empathy and compassion by generally supporting gays, muslims, the environment, low income families, and the unemployed.

I have met and worked with just as many moronic dems that think like this too... it's not republican thing, it's an idiot thing

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
It's kinda funny that so many Liberals in this thread have the idea that all Republicans and Conservatives like and or have "Power and Money" .. When in fact the vast majority do not? And to those that are not rich and powerful they seem to have the notion that we are misguided by the notion that if we support Conservative ideas we will ourselves be rich and powerful.

Talk about stupidity..

It isn't that all Repbulicans are rich or consciousnsly guideded by the possibility of being rich.

It is that their politcal actions on a federal level facilitate the rich getting richer.

The concept you are talking about is just some retroactive justificiation for explaining how people become brainwashed to vote against their own wellbeing.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Here is the "judgement" card once again rearing its head. Republicans desire the ability to JUDGE and SEPARATE who gets what.

It's really a childish sickness...

So you are saying that it is " a childish sickness" to be against a person getting a housing subsidy and food stamps when he is not working at a job.....

Even though he is blowing a $250,000 trust fund check every month.

You must be VERY VERY young.

Compassion without judgment is cruel in the long run.

You are seeing the build up of resentment from a working life time of enforced giving by a lot of people. People who remember a different type of "Charity" then Government extortion. They have seen all the abuses of the system and the third generation with no intention of working. The hear THEY will not get the money they thought was their pension because politicians have used it to buy votes and then hooked those voters on "free handouts"

I have lived in inner cities, I have given the down and out a place to stay... and I have been ROBBED all times but one andI have even had my life threatened for not forking over ANOTHER several thousand.

Yep, it's a childish sickness that most people get over by 1st grade. Remember when you were in kindergarden and a teacher couldn't do for one child without doing the exact same for each of the others? This was because each child was so closely watching the other childrens interaction with the teachers?

Even IF the fantasy you used of a guy having $250K and still receiving subsidized housing and stamps guess what a guy like me thinks...................."not my business and more power to him". For one, I'm too busy minding my own business and second, I don't know what the guy has gone through to now be so blessed.

So is this sickness a matter of, minding your own business?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011

I don't think this is a problem with only republicans. It seems nowadays that the majority of people in general have little compassion, civility, or conscience. Our economy is rife with corruption, and it seems like it has become socially acceptable to screw people over whenever the opportunity arises. I recently had a problem where I had a flat tire and my car jack was not in the car (It was a brand new car $$*#&*). I had to walk almost 3 miles to an auto parts store to buy another jack. It was 100 degrees out easy. So I am walking with this 35 lb or so hydraulic jack in the heat, and not one person offered me a ride. Now in my younger days, people saw you walking in heat like that, and they would stop and offer you a ride, or help. Now no one does this. I am not saying there aren't still good people, there are a lot, but it seems that people are just colder now than in the past.

Capitalism is a big contributor to the lack of compassion, civility and conscience.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
We are broke because the dimocrat leadership refuses to stop two wars Republicans started and,in fact,started a 3rd without any sort of approval....those same dims also insist on spending us into the ground with social programs that feed people who have been on welfare for so many generations,there isnt even a genetic memory of how to hold a job,other than walking to the box once a month for a check,and getting on a bus to the polls every two yars to vote dim....and its a wonder we are broke?...if Republians wars are so bad,why doesnt the majority leadership in DC stopped them and ordered the troops home?...huh huh huh?

So outdated....

Are you even aware there's a 48 month limit for receipt of welfare? I don't know how long it's been since welfare was offered in the form of a check in the mailbox...

Folks, this is how outdated most people are...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anon404
reply to post by Jezus

I agree. If people believed that quote all education would be free, and student loans forgiven, since they were just learning to fish. Few practice what they preach though.

WHOA!! You just stepped on a lot of toes with that comment! Thumbs up!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
Forget the party. Look at the voters. Voters who care only about themselves, their own little bubble. Voters who resent illegals, gays, muslims, low income, and unemployed. Don't give me the stupid argument that both are the same when I can talk to one person who feels compassion and a deeper understanding and desire to help vs another person who only feels contempt.

You would love to blame it on the party, but I'm also including you personally. The voter. I see a severe lack of empathy, compassion, or conscience from republican voters across the board.

Just seems like to vote republican these days, you need to leave compassion, empathy, and conscience at the door.

Liberalism: Ideas so good, they gotta be mandatory.

Most people I know don't worry about people taking assistance from the government when they are down on their luck. They do have a problem with the fourth generation welfare families that only know government assistance. I have a problem with my tax dollars being funnelled to them.

Illegals? And just why do we have to feel compassion for them? And by "compassion", I mean, giving them they right to vote without being a citizen, free medical care, free education, etc. Jerry Brown in Kalifornia just passed the "Dream Act", letting illegals compete for college scholarships. Nice.

What was that quote from Reagan: Republicans think every day is the 4th of July. Democrats think every day is April 15th.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join