It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive Solar System Builder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I keep blowing up all my planets, playing god is tough. You start with a star of your choice and add planets of your choice and then run a simulation. Don't forget to give those planets some momentum they'll need it ...

Nat Geo Solar System Builder

edit on 8/2/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I just played around with one planet to see how it works. Kind of fun.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I just played around with one planet to see how it works. Kind of fun.

I agree kind of
hopefully someone on here finds a use for it

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I just finishing playing around with it. I think my kids will get a kick out of it, especially my son. We usually don't see applications like this outside the museum of natural history.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

excellent I hope they enjoy it

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
That was great fun! Managed to get a moon to stably orbit a gas giant as it orbited the star, and a planet in the system developed life... until the gas giant perturbed it out of its orbit after a few thousand years, pulled it in between the moon and the giant before sending it on a free return trajectory back to the star for a civilization-ending collision.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
cool. thanks

for any windows users..
Check out "Universe Sandbox"
I dont use windows so I can't use it.. (nice one, mr developer)
but its awesome!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This is so cool, I love it. Of course I didn't bother to read the instructions, so my first planet crashed into the sun in less than five seconds and my second seems to be in a death spiral towards it's star too. XD

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Charizard

yeah the instructions leave a little to be desired
anyways keep trying

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

anyways keep trying

They do! Most of my planets keep getting sucked into my star like it's a black hole. I've tried pointing their trajectory in every different direction, changing their mass and distance from the star but regardless, all of my inner planets always start out making a death dive toward the star. XD

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Pulling the trajectory arrow away from the planet gives it more velocity.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

Pulling the trajectory arrow away from the planet gives it more velocity.

I figured that out, at least, but I can't seem to figure out how you determine which direction the planet is going to go. I set six planets at varying distances and pointed all of the arrows in the same direction. Half ended up diving straight into the star, one went on a wild elliptical orbit and the other two crossed paths and collided. So in conclusion, it's a good thing I wasn't on the design team of the universe.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
the only way to get an orbiting system in that "program"..
is to make and test one planet at a time. then reset...
Once you get one in a stable orbit, then add another body,
press play, watch what it does, make the proper adjustments to body 2, until you have 2 orbiting the sun,
add another body, hit play, then reset, make proper adjustments, etc.etc

I got 4 bodies in a stable orbit before the 5th totally screwed me up. lol
Seems simple.. but its more difficult than it seems!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If you guys have a little money you can buy Universe Sandbox off steam or their website for little.
Then you can have fun with the universe when you're offline. It's pretty easy to understand how to use it too.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charizard

Originally posted by iforget

anyways keep trying

They do! Most of my planets keep getting sucked into my star like it's a black hole. I've tried pointing their trajectory in every different direction, changing their mass and distance from the star but regardless, all of my inner planets always start out making a death dive toward the star. XD

Try this:
Put a planet directly off to the right side the star about 1 solar diameter away.
Pull the arrow for the planet's velocity vector straight down.
Vary the length of the vector but not the direction until you get a stable orbit.
If you want to work out the eccentricity and circularize the orbit, just adjust the length of the velocity vector further. If the planet swings too close to the star on the opposite side from where it started during the first orbit, make the vector longer, if it swings too far away from the star on the opposite side from where it started, shorten it a bit.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

LOL!

This is so awesome. Educational and fun. It gives one a tiny idea of the forces at work, and the complexity and sheer awesomeness that is the universe.

I built one little Rocky world that made a few revolutions before flying off into the cosmos. After 1000 years I'm assuming it isn't coming back............just like Mommy!

Edit - My planet has developed life and is on the year 3000+ Woohoo. Time to add more and see if I can create a symphony of life breeding inner worlds that will sustain themselves for millions of years. Muahahahahaaaaa

edit on 4-8-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
managed to get to 30,700ish years when my life established rocky water planet was destroyed by a meteorite, it's actually how most of my stable simulations ended, the scary thing, you see it coming and there is nothing you can do.....
edit on 5-8-2011 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join