It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxic Cocktail: Kids, Cameras, & Sexuality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
First, let me address the fact that I'm not religious and I hope this thread doesn't dissolve into a religious argument. Although I realize that this topic does hit upon religious and moral views and upbringing, I hope we can avoid heated religious debate.

There have been two threads in the past 24-48 hours that have gotten lots of attention from both sides of the spectrum in regards to what is acceptable and what's not acceptable. Especially in relation to what children are exposed to. Here are the two threads:
Exhibit A: I'm very disturbed by something I saw on a movie...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Exhibit B: (Disturbing Videos) King Kalien and Momma K.

These threads have really gotten me thinking about society's views and the corruption of the youth as well as how desensitized we have become as a society. One of the threads really got heated as people began arguing about what is acceptable and what isn't in regards to what the mother and son were doing together. I couldn't believe that people were telling others to turn a blind eye to the obvious sexual activities this mother was involving her son in (filming her doing a strip tease, filming her naked, etc.) The other thread was also discussing the fact that children are being exposed to sexual scenes through their acting careers and how this is damaging.

So, I'm comparing and contrasting these two threads because one depicts a young boy FILMING a sexually explicit activity (borderline incestuous IMO) while the other touches on the issue of children BEING FILMED performing acts of a sexual nature (sometimes violent). One thread is based upon fictional events, while the other upon real events.

The main question is: Is art imitating life or is life imitating art?
The underlying question is: Should we allow these acts to roll off us like water on a duck's back because a camera is involved? Does it really matter whether the child is behind or in front of the camera to consider it abusive and neglectful to the child's well-being?

I personally believe that in both instances, the parent is putting their child in a dangerous and mentally damaging situation. I don't believe that YouTube and Hollywood are that far apart. On both threads, the parents' judgements are scrutinized. Many people on the Momma K thread were saying how it's their life and to stay out of it. Nobody said this on the Hollywood thread. Both are being presented in film form to curious eyes, but is one OK because it's in a studio? Or is the Momma K thread O.K. because it only involves a mother and her son and nobody else? How would we feel about the Momma K vids if it was a fictional Hollywood storyline? Would we still find it O.K. that a mother is doing a strip tease while her 15 yo son is filming?

As I was reading through the threads, I was appalled at the comments by people who are fine with children in sexually explicit situations when a camera is involved. I'd hate to see what goes on when the camera is off. I say this for both Momma K and the Hollywood thread. Just because it is a piece of equipment doesn't mean it's not as dangerous as a gun. The camera simply collects ammo to shoot the audience with. Just as boxers become desensitized to pain, children can be numbed to sexually graphic images to the point where they consider it common place and normal.

Have we become so desensitized as a society that we feel we have to lash out and call people prudes because they feel that children, sex, and cameras are a bad combination? What's wrong with you people? What planet are you from where kids learn about sex in this manner and should be subjected to this type of entertainment? Granted, most kids don't learn about sex from their parents' talking to them about it. Most kids learn about sex from their friends, the T.V., the Internet, and movies. Although back in the day, what they learned wasn't as blatant and disgusting as what is available today and this is not O.K. by my standards. I guess I'm a prude and want to go back to the days of Leave It to Beaver, but I'm a proud prude. I'd never want to be desensitized to the point where it's O.K. for a son to film his mom in the bath tub or doing a strip tease. I don't ever want to be the parent who allows their child to be filmed in a rape scene for a movie. I don't ever want to be the person who thinks group sex is just a learning experience. I don't want to ever hear my kid say that they participated in group sex. I don't want my daughter experimenting in lesbian sex because she's been brainwashed by the T.V. to believe that it's a normal part of growing up. Don't attack me for this statement though. I have no problem with homosexuals. I just feel that the media is brainwashing kids to the point of confusing them sexually. I fear that many kids who aren't homosexual will be conditioned to participate in these activities because of what they see on T.V. Look at how many (older) homosexuals are screwed up because they felt pushed into a heterosexual lifestyle because of societal views? Same thing.

I guess this is turning into more of a rant, but I can't help getting angry at the level of complacency in today's society in regards to sex and youth. It seems as though more and more people percieve sex as a spectator sport than something beautiful between two people who love each other. Yes, I believe in the two people rule. I guess that also makes me a prude.

How do you think children's views are being shaped by the Internet videos, T.V., and movies? Well, I'll tell you. When kids back in the day were playing Spin the Bottle, kids today are sexting and posting nude pictures of themselves on the Internet. This is a complete and total result of media desensitization with the camera as their weapon of choice. Kids today don't have any self control nor do they hold the belief that their body is supposed to be honored, sacred, and respected. They are the 'Now' generation and are under the impression that instant gratification is good. They have been brainwashed to believe that their bodies should be an item for public consumption and sex is nothing but a new contact sport. I also feel that kids might be under the impression that an STD is the equivalent of a scraped knee. We need to stop raising little hedonists. Just because something feels good doesn't mean it is good! Just ask any recovering heroine addict or AIDS sufferer.

I'm so glad I don't have kids. I don't want to raise them in a culture that is turning into an Hieronymus Bosch painting. "The Garden of Earthly Delights", anyone?

One last thing I'd like to say is that it is our responsibility as human beings to not turn around when we suspect child abuse. We aren't all experts in psychology or early childhood development, but those of us who haven't become brainwashed and desensitized still feel it in our guts when something isn't right. I don't know if desensitization is reversible or curable, but I know that it is contagious. We just need to know when to turn off the T.V., spend quality time with our kids, and stop letting the cameras tell us what is acceptable.

Peace, everyone!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
WELL SAID!
You nailed it, I thought the exact same thing when reading these threads earlier.

Dumbfounded but I guess (cynically) not surprised at some of the posts...
If we don't look after the children, we're damning our collective future.
Not to omit ruining the lives of countless children.

Such shame.
Thanks for your thread observations.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You're in the way of "progress". I suggest you step away and let society progess straight to hell.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I know full well that society is on its way to hell.
I'm just pointing out one of the stepping stones.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Thanks for complimenting my connections between the two threads. I'm glad you enjoyed my analysis!

I also thought this thread should be added to this one since it also deals with the camera and child erotica.

Sick, sick, sick!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It is really frightening .....how many levels are in society...where children are being exploited and abused. I pray for them daily.

Here is another link to some more information:

top topics

join