It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Government Acquires Major US Government Security Contractor - Paris Now OWNS You!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
France’s Safran completed a $1 billion purchase of U.S. face-recognition software maker L-1 Identity Solutions after hiring a top former U.S. intelligence official to allay security concerns. Safran received approval for its purchase from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the US (CFIUS).

The $1 billion cash deal gives the French state-owned company control of a Connecticut company which specializes in biometric recognition systems, passports and finger-printing as well as background checks for public and private clients.

Read more about this here:

pstuph.wordpress.com...

ADDENDUM:
Evidently the phrase "French state-owned" company that I used above gave the impression that Safran is a "private" company. What the phrase means is that Safran is majority owned by the French Government. Some reports reveal that the ownership by the French Government is as high as 90%. The seat of the French government is in Paris - hence the title.

So L-1 Identity Solutions was bought by the French Government.

L-1’s secure credentialing solution has been used to produce more than two billion government-issued IDs to date. These include driver’s licenses, passports and Visas, the U.S. Passport Card and Border Crossing Card, international voter registration and national ID cards, as well as the production platform for the U.S. DOD Common Access Card (CAC). And they maintain the databases.

I hate to think that I am alone in thinking this is a Major problem...
edit on 2-8-2011 by webworker because: clarification of ownership of Safran

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Perhaps it's time Congress do something for a living that involves the benefit of our nation for a change. I'm starting to think we really need this in Federal Law that foreign companies are not used, ever, for supply of national security sensitive parts and material. I could have sworn this was accepted as a given until a few decades ago when this global village silliness began taking hold.

If these systems fail at the most critical moment or are disabled by something we didn't even know existed as an option, then we have ourselves to blame for allowing our security to depend upon others who won't be affected if that security fails IMHO.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Exactly how does the sale of an American company to a French one.. Mean that Paris owns me? Or anyone on the planet for that matter..

Maybe you should get a Job with the sun newspaper.. I think you would fit right in..

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

@Misterlondon

Since you are in the UK it probably doesn't apply. If you read the entire linked article you will see why it firmly applies to Americans. "Owned" is a term used by hackers to declare that they have your data and that is definitely the case here.

Your reactionary response and personal attack without analyzing the facts makes me wonder about your motivation...
edit on 2-8-2011 by webworker because: additional thought

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Exactly how does the sale of an American company to a French one.. Mean that Paris owns me? Or anyone on the planet for that matter..

Maybe you should get a Job with the sun newspaper.. I think you would fit right in..

Buah, exactly my thoughts...

I would speculate that this change of hands IS bad news for us though. Does the US even have laws that protects us from invasive biometric technology? If we do, that no longer matters because the company now answers to French govt. not ours....

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EmVeeFF

I refer you to the response above and again wonder if you read the linked article...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by webworker

Yes, and I fail to understand your point.

If you want data on US citizens, become a script kiddie. Even the dullest of us all could be able to steal information with at most 2 years of hacking experience.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by webworker
reply to post by Misterlondon

@Misterlondon

Since you are in the UK it probably doesn't apply. If you read the entire linked article you will see why it firmly applies to Americans. "Owned" is a term used by hackers to declare that they have your data and that is definitely the case here.

Your reactionary response and personal attack without analyzing the facts makes me wonder about your motivation...
edit on 2-8-2011 by webworker because: additional thought

Ok.. Maybe it was a little harsh, I do apologize for my last comment. it is a bit annoying when people use a big sensational title and usually turns out to be bs.. Just like the tabloids hence one was mentioned.
To much of that goes on here.. That was my motivation.

I understand your explanation but at the same time it is still a sensational title, also it's not just Americans that use this site and it is a tad ignorant to assume only Americans will read your thread and even worse to aim them solely at Americans.. So maybe that should have been stipulated in the title.

I hope you take no offense from my comments here because I'm not having a dig at you.. I'm just saying..

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thanks for the follow-up and clarification. I appreciate and understand where you are coming from. I was just trying to figure a way to bring attention to what I think is an important, under-reported story to of as many folks as possible. Structuring the title to attract attention and rise above the chatter was my intention.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by webworker
ADDENDUM:
Evidently the phrase "French state-owned" company that I used above gave the impression that Safran is a "private" company. What the phrase means is that Safran is majority owned by the French Government. Some reports reveal that the ownership by the French Government is as high as 90%. The seat of the French government is in Paris - hence the title.

Speaking of facts:

www.safran-group.com...

90% belongs to the government eh? Not quite, only 30% in reality...

new topics

top topics

join