It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman looking at $500 fine and jail time because 11 year old daughter saved a woodpecker

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

rude? so the Fish and wildlife agent is Petty, narcissistic, callous, non-intellectual, and obviously a glory hound...

typical douche behavior by a govt 'official'..

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Another case of terminal stupid with a side case of over-reaction, Its no wonder society has gotten to the sorry state its in now when trying to do something good and decent rewards you with fines or jail time. Being an avid Hunter I had expected more out of the Fish and Wildlife people in my state, should have known better...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Who cares what the other side of the story was? Regardless it does not warrant getting troopers to the woman's house and threatening her with a fine and jail time. If it was a real issue, the animal control person should have simply taken custody of the bird and have been done with it.

The better solution, albiet one that would require common sense and judgement would have been for the fish and wildlife person to explain to the girl that the bird was endangered and thanked her for saving it. That she was doing a good thing and that more folks should care about animals the way she did and then instructed her on how to release the bird when she got home or explained that releasing it can be tricky and that she would take it from there. The whole bloody mess could have been positive.

That actually might have engendered respect for the arms of government. It actually might have made the girl feel proud. What it actually did is create an 11 year old member of the Tea Party (not a bad thing).

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by klenker
No child gets rights.

The police were right here. What do you expect next?

Next what ? Giiving a dog water? My god what criminals.

Death penalty, for all kindness. you heartless people.

You are right there. I have to say. Where I live it is illegal to put a bowl of food out for an animal, even your own animal. I am supposed to feed my pet in the house! Of all the utter gall to try and tell me what and where to feed my own dog. I understand they are trying to keep raccoons away from the houses but still they infringe on my rights as a homeowner to do it and that is WRONG.

I think it is still ok to feed the birds though. Big deal.
Distinctions on what wildlife is desired are made by people who hate animals.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Who cares what the other side of the story was? Regardless it does not warrant getting troopers to the woman's house and threatening her with a fine and jail time. If it was a real issue, the animal control person should have simply taken custody of the bird and have been done with it.

The better solution, albiet one that would require common sense and judgement would have been for the fish and wildlife person to explain to the girl that the bird was endangered and thanked her for saving it. That she was doing a good thing and that more folks should care about animals the way she did and then instructed her on how to release the bird when she got home or explained that releasing it can be tricky and that she would take it from there. The whole bloody mess could have been positive.

That actually might have engendered respect for the arms of government. It actually might have made the girl feel proud. What it actually did is create an 11 year old member of the Tea Party (not a bad thing).

Two words...bird flu.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
In a town in the Ozarks where I lived for some years, a fellow in the next apartment building got tired of the sound of woodpeckers pecking on the building siding - I swear, it sounded like a power tool being used! He blasted the offending bird with a shotgun [within city limits!] and nothing happened to him. I think the neighbors were grateful for the quiet.

So - strike a blow for freedom! Blast a woodpecker, or some other Federally Protected Species today!!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
How does a game marshall have jurisdiction in a hardware store?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog

rude? so the Fish and wildlife agent is Petty, narcissistic, callous, non-intellectual, and obviously a glory hound...

typical douche behavior by a govt 'official'..

You know, my first impulse was to jump in the condemn the official (see my earlier post). But then as I thought about it, we are just seeing one side of the story, and my sense of fairness cannot condemn without knowing all the facts. It does look bad. However, the whole thing doesn't make sense. They went to Lowes (search for the video) and got a cage, but let it go when they got home, and it flew away. If the bird could fly, why did she catch it? It kind of sounds like she wanted a pet woodpecker. Also, the little girl said she picked it up because she couldn't find the bird's mother? Duh! Is she retarded or something? It's a wild bird - hello! Why didn't she just put the bird on a branch and take the cat inside? Nope - she wanted a woodpecker for a pet and got caught on it and now comes the poor little me story. Who is so stupid as to not know this law? I thought parents told their kids not to mess with baby birds.
edit on 2-8-2011 by mjfromga because: For clarity

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

I always care to know the other side of a story before making a judgement. I agree the thing went too far, and it could have been a learning experience. As I posted previously, which you must have missed:

"If the game warden's "badge" couldn't let her turn a blind eye to the situation, she should have thanked the girl for her concern, taken custody of the bird, and transported it to a rehab facility for wild animals where it would be well-tended until it could be released. If I were the family, I would do a little search on the whereabouts of such facilities and read the game wardens' handbook. There have go to be any number of loopholes in order to get off from that one, such as 1) what is the warden's responsibility towards stranded animals? 2) If certified facilities exist (and you know they do), why didn't the warden direct them to such a place or take custody of the bird?"

However, I work with the public, and let me tell you that sometimes stories are just...stories. I'll never forget the kid who got pissed at his teacher (a co-worker of mine) and told his parents the teacher made him take food out of the lunchroom trash bin and eat it. An entire lunchroom of kids and staff said it didn't happen, but you know who the parent believed? And then they tried to go to the superintendent to have the teacher fired. I'm guessing the mother and daughter are trying to put as much poor me spin on the situation as they can.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm very glad you brought this story to my attention! Now I understand that the next time I see a wounded animal on the side of the road, such as a wild life officer, the safe and correct thing to do is to leave it there to die a slow miserable death. It actually it makes perfect sense. The less wildlife officers there are around, the more we will be able to treat other animals with compassion and humanity.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
So why not give a ticket to the cat for trying to eat it since cats have been introduced into the eco-system from their original territory in Egypt?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

A sad story of how our government works. I suggest to get a better idea of just how bad this particular type of situation is that folks interested in protecting themselves from stupid governmental actions visit state and federal sites that detail what is protected or not.

I have a family of brown shouldered hawks that nest yearly in one of my pine trees. The adults and young frequently lose feathers that I find as I walk the property. As I recall, I'm liable for about 15 years in a federal pen for each feather of the seveeral that are stuck in a vase on my desk. How many of you know that such laws exist?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

My husband ties salmon flies as a hobby. He has to have some of the feathers he uses documented with certificates and really goes overboard on his documentation because of the bad guys out there who are only out for a buck for themselves. There are many cases of abuse with people smuggling in birds or plunking eagles or song birds for their hair extensions, Vegas costumes, and art. He actually knows of a guy who stole a bunch of historical bird mounts from a museum just to get at the feathers. It makes me cringe because while most people want to be law-abiding citizens, some are ignorant of the laws, and can innocently run afoul of them. But, the laws must exist because of the poacher types of people. Believe it or not, some bird skins can bring thousands of dollars on the market. He has exotic pheasant feathers which run $50 a feather. I don't know that much about it, but he could get into detail. For instance, Native Americans are allowed an eagle, but if they sell that eagle a certification has to go with it. So you could use the feathers but must have the proper paperwork. Which means, if you are buying feathers in art or for display, you had better know what you are buying or you could get yourself into a heck of a lot of trouble. I guess the lesson here is that the Wildlife and Parks Departments need to do a better job of public education.
edit on 2-8-2011 by mjfromga because: clarity

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I guess the moral of the story is to leave nature alone.
Or face the wrath of GOV'T.

But I can't say I would leave injured birds alone.
I once helped a baby robin back to the nest.
Apparently it didnt make the leap the first time around.
But with a little boost and a helping hand, it flew after the second try.
With my help of course.
Maybe it lived a full life and had many offspring.
Maybe it got eaten by a cat.
Either way I believe every living thing deserves a second chance at life.

I digress.
Our gov't and all it's little branches are whats costing us billions each year.
But the truth is, these branches are set up to try and help balance nature out.
EPA, DEP, etc all make regulations to keep the water, soil, and environment clean.
While it is a good thing, (the 1900-1970's were terrible to our water supply)...
I believe its getting power hungry.
Everyone is out to make a paycheck.
Even if it involves a fine for harboring a native endangered bird.
Maybe there is more to the story.

Now it seems that they use the same rules on civilians as they do on actual criminals.
You know, the guys that kill endangered animals or spill toxins into our rivers.

One bad apple, costs us all money.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Could not agree more with you, my father and I raised abandoned wildlife for the DNR for many years. We would get calls from people who would rescue young, injured, abandoned animals, and not even realize what they had at first, and then hand them over to us. Depending on the animal we would have with us either a county sheriff or a DNR field agent, or sometimes both. No one that we ever got an animal from was ever prosecuted, or got in trouble, because of the situation. All parties involved knew what was going on, and knew it was in the animals best interest. This is a case of someone who has no common sense, and was too by the book for her own good. Her bad judgement on this will come back to bite her in the ass at some point. And this will for sure not hold up in court, and if it does I will be real surprised. In my opinion with this case, the family did the right thing, and a lot of other people know it as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Someone needs to punch that stupid Liberal in the face and teach her to mind her own business. I'm sure she got her rocks off being able to express power and control over an innocent family.. absolutely disgusting, what a pathetic Human being.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
do not mess with mother nature, if the cat saw it as food then food it should have been , natural selection is the way it is, should be, and be left alone.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

We've introduced domesticated cats into the bird's environment. How is that letting nature take it's course?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
On this one it cannot be said that the game commission lady was a liberal. These low-lifes are not really ideological but rather see the world as a set of rules, and that their function is to maintain those rules. They are the grunts that lack IQ to gain power, so they operate as authoritarian storm troopers just looking to bust someone for anything that goes against the rules.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The rest of the story, if anyone cares to read it instead of just shooting at the USF&W people from the hip....

...from the link in the OP

"On June 13, a special agent with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service observed a woman carrying a cage that contained a woodpecker at a home improvement store in Fredericksburg Virg. As possession of a bird may potentially violate the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the agent initiated an inquiry to determine whether a potential violation had occurred. Upon speaking with the subject, later identified as Alison Capo, on June 27, the agent determined that no further action was warranted. A citation that had been previously drafted by the agent was cancelled on June 28. Unfortunately, the citation was processed unintentionally despite our office's request to cancel the ticket. The Service has contacted Ms. Capo to express our regret. The Service is also sending Ms. Capo a formal letter explain the clerical error and confirming that ticket should never have been issued. This misunderstanding was the result of a Service inquiry into possible violations of federal wildlife law. In particular the Service is responsible for the protection of all federally listed migratory birds. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries did not participate in the inquiry."

by all means though....please....continue with the bashing. Can't let a little thing like "the details" get in the way of a good vindictive outrage, right?
edit on 2-8-2011 by tjack because: nip here, tuck there...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join