It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stupid???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Ya know where I heard first about this 'study'? Not on the computer. But on MainStreamMedia "News". (Radio).
So thats interesting, the PTP are making this IQ test result 'viral', and a (---very smart---) poster above, tried to find out the ultimate source of this study/test, and it became a mystery maze instead. HMM.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm not very smart. But I learntid what a PSYOP is!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

it is THEY who are trying to denigrate and insult you.

Who

are

THEY?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

A fellow " Luddite " ! I thought I was the only one ! Good for you ! I once ( And this is true..) got so cross with my desktop computer, I ripped all the connections off, opened the bedroom window, and tossed the f*****g thing out of same. It landed on concrete, making a satisfying sound. I then went downstairs, got an axe from the garage, and finished it off ! ( How's that for Luddite ? ) Needlesss to say, don't forget to open the window first, though ! I've amused a lot of friends with that story, they've often wanted to do the same, but either the computer was'nt theirs, or they lacked the courage to do it / cash to buy a replacement. Made me feel a whole lot better at the time.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
All,

This isn't some crazy conspiracy. Don't feel offended if you're an IE user - if you are a casual computer user there is nothing wrong with using whatever browser you want. This was a for fun test that is self-proclaimed to be inaccurate and not a good measure of actual intelligence.

There are a lot of benefits to using something other than IE. IE, for one, is hard to code for, and needs special treatment whereas Firefox and Opera and Chrome will pretty much display EVERYTHING without much TLC. I don't expect the average computer user to know about or even care what I'm talking about. This is why I say this could be a measure of one's IT IQ, but not one's actual intelligence. ETA (The best thing is coding for one version of IE, then realizing your work only looks right on that version, so now you get to do the same for IE 7,8,9.. FUN)

Security risks are misunderstood. IE is attacked more often, but only because it's so popular it's more often targeted.

I also feel that Linux users are generally more intelligent (with computers only!) than Windows users. This is a general statement and is the norm, but not a rule. I know some amazing techs that will only use IE and other Microsoft products because they're stubborn goons who fear change, but they are still great at what they do.

All that being said, IE blows goats. It's a PITA to code for, it's ugly, it only just started to incorporate features in IE9 that have been in Opera and Firefox for years, it's a resource hog, it tends to suffer from compatibility loss from version to version, Microsoft has a feeble grasp on tab usage but it's nice to see them finally embrace the idea, etc..
edit on 2-8-2011 by Backslider because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Thats a good question, a previous poster tried to nail Them down, and like I said, before, encountered a mystery maze. But not only the jackals who perpetrated this test, but the MSM who make it go viral. Why, when there's so much more important life and death news in the world, going on.

mjfromga; I read that "study" the other day. I tried to Google the company (as well as several different search engines). Unless there has been a change over the past few days, nothing will come up on them - so they don't even have a website? This probably means the study wasn't well put-together. One article on the study did say they were programmers who had a thing against Microsoft... Who knows?

Actually, though, I could see where this might be true for the younger respondents. If you are 40 or below, it is assumed that you should be computer literate. A computer literate person who doesn't check out other browsers is probably a little slower than those who do. One who isn't computer literate enough to know of different browsers is probably significantly slower than average.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

Starred. You are the only one who seems to understand what the article is about. The rest of this thread only seems to indicate that the results of the survey are probably pretty accurate. Kind of ironic actually.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dave0davidson

The article-s- are manipulative in a denigrating way. Or am I too retarded to see that they are really, in altruistic love, trying to gently boost all us souls to the next ascended level of technological consciousness?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

its geeky elitism I wouldn't take it too personal its like saying only idiots are Lions fans

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

You don’t know who THEY are, yet you know what THEY are doing?

Isn’t it all a bit speculative, then? Does everything have to be some evil conspiracy?

I am very stupid, you see. This kind of manipulation is obviously to subtle to work on my clumsy brain.

That is why I use Camino.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m

Thats a good question, a previous poster tried to nail Them down, and like I said, before, encountered a mystery maze. But not only the jackals who perpetrated this test, but the MSM who make it go viral. Why, when there's so much more important life and death news in the world, going on.

mjfromga; I read that "study" the other day. I tried to Google the company (as well as several different search engines). Unless there has been a change over the past few days, nothing will come up on them - so they don't even have a website? This probably means the study wasn't well put-together. One article on the study did say they were programmers who had a thing against Microsoft... Who knows?

Actually, though, I could see where this might be true for the younger respondents. If you are 40 or below, it is assumed that you should be computer literate. A computer literate person who doesn't check out other browsers is probably a little slower than those who do. One who isn't computer literate enough to know of different browsers is probably significantly slower than average.

Yup - the article is kind of condescending, as if to say we are all stupid unless we switch to Opera or something NOT standard IE. There were tons of MSM links on the same article like it was some big news. I use Firefox because my default IE froze up this computer (I prefer to use a 10 inch netbook for portability), but it only has one RAM and when I open several windows it freezes in IE. If I hadn't had a problem, I wouldn't have switched. I think a lot of people use the default IE because if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I can't say that's a dumb decision, either. I guess as a Firefox user, I'm just average. Kind of bursts my bubble. LOL!
edit on 2-8-2011 by mjfromga because: type

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

it seems times are changing faster than in the past. technology is getting smarter ten fold compared to our grandparents time. i guess the only real answer is keep your roots, but get with it. you want a simple fast browser? get google chrome.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The PTB are tricky that way.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
To those that find this offensive..

I wonder how you weigh in on this thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Are you a "morning lark" and an IE user? Did someone bring the dunce cap??

I kid, you can't put too much stock in these types of studies.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

its geeky elitism I wouldn't take it too personal its like saying only idiots are Lions fans

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

what? ok maybe that wasn't the best example hehe by the way I wasn't agreeing with that

I just mean that there are lots of reasons to go on supporting or using something even though it might not be the best or wisest choice beside being too dumb to know better.
edit on 8/2/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
If you're using a computer and you're not updating your software, yes, you might as well be retarded.

Updates are usually security updates. Fixing flaws, bugs and loop-holes. Possible backdoors etc etc etc. Anything else is just an added bonus.

So if you want to keep browsing the "safe" internet with your IE6 then I will relentlessly call you retarded. You deserve any virus you get and to have your information stolen.

Same thing applies to people that just click "next" without reading anything.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
looks like the whole thing was a hoax:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Yup, Pretty sure this was hoaxed yesterday.....

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
They want you to update your browser, with all the new "security" features.. You know, to keep you "safe". The way I see it, is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As far as I am concerned, any update they make is some hidden virus so they can, well, make me "safe". Like linux for instance, its pose to be very stable and secure, so why is it not the most popular? Duh. *tin foil hat off"

Deebo

I agree.

It is well known that PDF browser magic resulted in the worst hack we've ever experienced. Thanks for nothing Adobe and M$!

And so as Deebo says above, in a tongue in cheek way, they want you to update to be "secure".

What this means is: "Please update because we think we've patched the holes from our stupid idea five versions ago." And when the version revisions come so fast that they get up to version 12, 19, etc you know they are running forward very fast, to catch up with their broken and retarded code from back in version 6 or whatever.

So the state of software dev in America is utter crap, as is the software. All they can do, rather than make something that works the same for years (like AutoDesk and PTC products or decent software that isn't trash) is to outright insult you, and hope you will take the next version.

And of course the next version, has some crap-tastic add-on, which opens a huge hole, and which will finally be corrected by version 58. It is the M$ way to release broken crap then fix it on the road. Kinda like driving in NASCAR with your mechanic hanging on to the hood, making "adjustments".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join