It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Congress Getting Even More Super Powers In Debt Deal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Super Congress Getting Even More Super Powers In Debt Deal

www.huffingtonpost.com

Under the reported framework, legislation the new congressional committee writes would be fast-tracked through Congress and could not be filibustered or amended.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
A new legislative body?

6 Republicans and 6 Democrats with the president having the deciding vote as the 13th member.

From gun control to tax hikes this committee will change the way bills are brought to the floor, changing house procedures. The speaker of the house could not prevent legislation from coming to the floor if the super congress submits it for a vote. Neither could their be any amendments proposed it will simply be an up or down vote. Will there even be any debate on the floor? Filibusters are eliminated as well.

This "committee" will be brought into existence through the new debt deal bill.

This is serious folks our government is changing radically and very fast.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Huffington Post ...
'Super Congress': Debt Ceiling Negotiators Aim To Create New Legislative Body

Washington Times ...
PICKET: Some lawmakers remain leery of 'Super Congress'

Daily Kos ...
White House wants Super Congress to take Bush tax cuts off table for 2012

Info Wars ...
Super Congress To Target Second Amendment

Info Wars ...
Ron Paul Sounds Alarm on “Disturbing” Super Congress

“The legislation produced by this commission will be fast-tracked, and Members will not have the opportunity to offer amendments,” said Paul. “Approval of the recommendations of the “Super Congress” is tied to yet another debt ceiling increase. This guarantees that Members will face tremendous pressure to vote for whatever comes out of this commission– even if it includes tax increases. This provision is an excellent way to keep spending decisions out of the reach of members who are not on board with the leadership’s agenda.”

edit on 2-8-2011 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

This New Super Congress is illegitimate, and Legislation passed in this manner is Unconstitutional and Unrepresentative of the American peoples wishes.

Time to Clean the Rifles Boys

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Every day I see more outrageous stuff in the news. This was a great find. SO now 6 people could possibly decide what is good for the whole country? Really? I guess they think it will fast track decisions like the one that almost took up over the debt ceiling. Cannot they see that if they allow this to happen, so many important decisions will be made by too small a group. Are you familiar with Groupthink?

quoting wiki:

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within groups of people. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative ideas or viewpoints. Antecedent factors such as group cohesiveness, structural faults, and situational context play into the likelihood of whether or not groupthink will impact the decision-making process.

The primary socially negative cost of groupthink is the loss of individual creativity, uniqueness, and independent thinking. While this often causes groupthink to be portrayed in a negative light, because it can suppress independent thought, groupthink under certain contexts can also help expedite decisions and improve efficiency. As a social science model, groupthink has an enormous reach and influences literature in the fields of communications, political science, social psychology, management, organizational theory, and information technology.[1]

We thought it was bad before, let the few dissenting voices in politics get cancelled out and we the people will have no voice left.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by emaildogs

This New Super Congress is illegitimate, and Legislation passed in this manner is Unconstitutional and Unrepresentative of the American peoples wishes.

Time to Clean the Rifles Boys

The political parties are well aware of that, and they have their lawyers and media moguls "on the job" to obfuscate that fact.

They also know that their self-aggrandizing, self-serving, and duplicitous political gamesmanship is incompatible with the way the government is supposed to function.... solution?.... "CHANGE the rules so we can do what we want to"........

Forget the rifles... just once I would like to see one of these "political leaders" face a silent crowd.... cheered on only by their glee club... while the hundreds remaining simply stare at him or her... until they stop pretending we are as stupid as they want us to be.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Is this when the militias and American people that huff puff about their gun rights do something?

Just asking.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I am absolutely speechless.

If ALL money issues (budget) are in the hands of this committee then we are looking at a bloodless palace coup. 13 men will now run the country.

Any legislation they do not like they can kill simply by "Defunding" it!!!!! Since no amendments are allowed and since they originate the bills there is NO overide!

I hope it is struck down by the Supreme court or removed as the 1099 tax change was removed from obamacare.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by summerbreeze.ddp

No summerbreeze, 12 disciples and Jesus decide.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

Is this when the militias and American people that huff puff about their gun rights do something?

Just asking.

not yet, mcdonalds is still serving cheeseburgers and tvs still work

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Don't forget the internet.

Americans arn't going to do squat until they are disconnected from unreality.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

It's completely unconstitutional.

It's a coup.

no oversight just thumbs up, thumbs down. no arguments no filibusters. so do we vote for politicians now and "hope" they get into the student council?

we'll see if the supreme court even gets a chance to stop it, before these guys get 2 weeks of no holds barred special interest legislation through.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Here's a petition I just found on the super congress being unconstitutional.
Petition

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

It's cost effective, now they only have to lobby and make special deals and donations to the super congressional disciples. Pretty much a corporocratic dictatorship now as if it wasn't already, just get yourself some old war videos and practice your march. Corporate crusades next up.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial
reply to post by summerbreeze.ddp

No summerbreeze, 12 disciples and Jesus decide.

Thanks TheReMedial, that makes me feel better!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This bill would ultimately concentrate power of the legislature within the hands of a select 12, stripping from Congressmen their right to add amendments and from Senators their right to filibuster. It would instate a permanent up or down vote on all legislation drafted and proposed by said ‘super congress’ which is within clear violation of the United States Constitution. Any removal of powers appropriated to Congress redirected to the ‘super congress’ would be the worst possible scenario for damaging popular representation.

www.usconstitution.net...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm listening to Alex Jones right now, and he started to cry during his rant. He is SO Howard Beale, I really worry about him. I know these are worrying recent times, but still!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
I'm listening to Alex Jones right now, and he started to cry during his rant. He is SO Howard Beale, I really worry about him. I know these are worrying recent times, but still!

We need more Howard Beales in this world! Someone to wake us from our slumber!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
*sigh* More and more, the US government becomes more obvious with their plans, because more and more the citizens are becoming either less educated or more distracted with "more important issues" like who got traded to what sports team, or which actor is sleeping with whom.

Aldous Huxley was at least partially right - distract the people with enough "fun" things, and you can get away with anything. Half the problem is the people. They let these crooks get away with bloody murder and high treason.

On the flip side, I *can* see the good that potentially could come from this, but knowing the people who are in power... I see no good.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So where does it end? When does our Government stop taking everything they want and start giving for the American people. It's time to get mad people, unless you enjoy being walked all over by a-hole politicians.

This entire "Super Committee" just screams communism. Not to mention it doesn't even sound good to have 13 people controlling everything they wish without any checks or balances.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

Here's a petition I just found on the super congress being unconstitutional.
Petition

The whole letter needs to be rewritten. the grammar is AWFUL. Luckily the site allows you to wipe that letter and write your own.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join