It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foxconn aims for a million robot workers by 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Foxconn aims for a million robot workers by 2014

[url=http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/08/foxconn-aims-for-a-million-rob.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news]www.newscientist.com[/url ]

It's certainly one way of dealing with a bit of bad publicity. Foxconn, the Taiwanese manufacturer that assembles gadgets for the likes of Apple and Nintendo came under fire last year after a spate of high-profile suicides by its workers. Now it says it plans to replace much of its human workforce - with a million robots.

Foxconn is currently the largest private-sector employer in China with over one million employees. Last year 17 workers killed themselves......
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

..... most by throwing themselves from factory buildings - while many more were stopped from doing so. The ensuing criticism and bad headlines worldwide forced the manufacturer to double its workers' salaries.

So... here we have it.... the new blossoming economic powerhouse that is China is already contemplating replacing employees on a huge scale with robotic units. How's that for the "'people's" society?

In America we lost jobs to foreign workers, in China they lose jobs to machines.... I guess that's one way to keep the unions happy.

Statistics from the International Federation of Robotics (IFR) also suggest that Foxconn has set its sights incredibly high compared to the current state of industrial robotics.

The IFR says that there were around 1,020,000 industrial robots operational in 2009, and it predicts that total will reach just under 1,120,000 by the end of 2013. It also says that only 2,230,000 industrial robots have ever been built since they were first introduced at the end of the 1960s.

I wonder what they will do when the suicide rate among the unemployed spikes... perhaps create robots that kill themselves for you.... or maybe "suicide booths" (nod to Matt Groening.)

Mercantilism and Commerce in a world run by banks is a recipe for disaster it seems; politics, and ideology notwithstanding.

[url=http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/08/foxconn-aims-for-a-million-rob.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news]www.newscientist.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I've been waiting for the day when factory workers are replaced by robotics. This is going to be a serious issue in the near future. Even if every general factory laborer studied electronic maintenance and became technicians to keep these robots running, there's still going to be a huge shortage of jobs in the industry.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well the elite are causing the weak to die off,

so I guess the robots will take their positions soon enough...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Someone get to Cyberdyne systems asap to stop this madness!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The ensuing criticism and bad headlines worldwide forced the manufacturer to double its workers' salaries.

Ooohhh, poor Foxconn. They had to start paying their employees, what, 50 cents an hour to a dollar an hour?

Considering how little regard these corporations seem to have for their fellow human beings, I'm surprised they even gave a response to the criticism at all.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

What's more. that pitiful raise can actually be 'more expensive' than retooling the entire plant for robots.... maybe the owner also has a robot factory?

It is sad, what people will subject each other to for personal profit.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

So... here we have it.... the new blossoming economic powerhouse that is China is already contemplating replacing employees on a huge scale with robotic units. How's that for the "'people's" society?

Yet if the government tried to stop one of our corporate giants from doing this, you'd have all the Freedom Fry folks crying foul that the government is interfering.

You can't blame China for a private company crapping on their society. That's the American way and we should fully endorse our own ideology if they choose to embrace it.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
it is sad that all those people will be put out of work but a robotic work force is the only way in my eyes to a cashless society,

I mean if we had robots to do all our jobs, farming, dangerous jobs etc etc there would not be any need for cash and everybod could be happy because everything would be free =) of course you would still be free to 'work' but it would be for self fullfillment instead of working to get by

(excuse me while i take of my slightly rose tinted glasses haha)

top topics

join