It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt-Limit Vote Breaks GOP Pledge to Post Bills Online for 3 Days Before Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Rush Rush Crisis Crisis blah blah blah. Enough of the BS. My GOP reps. on the hill should be ashamed of themselves. Did we not learn any lessons with the rush/crisis vote on Obamacare?? I can only imagine what we will find if the Senate passes this mess in a big rush to Give Obama his $2.4 trillion birthday present. The bonus prize is the big and fat golden egg that is buried in this bill.

When the House of Representatives voted this evening on legislation to increase the limit on the federal debt by as much as $2.4 trillion, House Republicans broke a promise included in their 2010 Pledge to America to post the text of bills online “for at least three days” before bringing them up for a vote.

Flashback!!

“We will ensure that bills are debated and discussed in the public square by publishing the text online for at least three days before coming up for a vote in the House of Representatives,” said the Pledge to America. “No more hiding legislative language from the minority party, opponents, and the public. Legislation should be understood by all interested parties before it is voted on.”

Did someone pull a switcheroo and modify the pledge after the fact?

Curiously, a summary of how the Republican Congress has fulfilled the Pledge that is included on the House Republican Conference’s Web site qualifies the language of the promise to post legislation online three days before voting on it. This summary headlines the Pledge’s section on the three-day rule: “A Three Day Waiting Period on all Non-Emergency Legislation.”

The words “non-emergency” or “emergency” do not appear anywhere in the text of the original Pledge for America as published by the House Republicans, and as still available in full-text form on the Republican Conference’s Web site.

Someone has got some explaining to do

However, it might be problematic for House Republicans to call the debt-limit bill a piece of “emergency” legislation. The House has been aiming to pass debt-limit legislation by an Aug. 2 deadline ever since May 16, when Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said the Treasury had bumped up against the statutory debt limit and that the accounting measures legally available to the Treasury in such a situation could keep the debt below that limit only until Aug. 2.

The House Republican Conference did not immediately respond to an inquiry from CNSNews.com about the origin of the language on the conference’s website that says the three-day pledge applies to “non-emergency legislation.”

www.cnsnews.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
This is the first thing I thought when I realized this bill was being taken to a vote yesterday.

I finally found the bill online, it was scanned and posted just yesterday, as the vote was taking place in the House.

rules.house.gov...

Historically, when a bill goes through last minute without even lawmakers getting a chance to read it, it is chock full of questionable legislation. Someone is making out like a bandit here, but we have yet to identify who.

ATS members can be very clever, I hope some of you read over this bill and start pointing out problems you see. It's going to be a couple of days before news agencies have their own reports.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I know it.

The pledges the Politicans are just another tool in their
Screw the American People and Only Worry about MY re-election" tool box.

The whole build up of The End of the World as we know it thing has worked again.

No protest, no bitching from the media-any of it.

I had a dream recently that I was part of the unit that breached the White House and got my hands on the records and stuff.

Kind of like when the Communist took over the Kremilin in the Great Revolution. The People's Army.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/af7ae1b8435e.jpg[/atsimg]

Now I better understand what drove those Russians to rise up and defeat the Czars. I never thought it would possible happen in the USA.

Not that advocate communism in anyway but as the Bolshviks learned-sometime violence is necessary. Why?
It is ever apparent the US Gov't is not concerned with the will of the people, only thier political goals.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'm starting to get a bald spot from scratching my head in astonishment every flippin day.

I was just looking over the text in this bill and I am curious as to why there is a section on Pell Grants in this.

SEC. 501. FEDERAL PELL GRANTS.

Section 401(b)(7)(A)(iv) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1070a(b)(7)(A)(iv)) is amended--

(1) in subclause (II), by striking `$3,183,000,000' and inserting `$13,183,000,000'; and

(2) in subclause (III), by striking `$0' and inserting `$7,000,000,000'.

SEC. 502. TERMINATION OF AUTHORITY TO MAKE INTEREST SUBSIDIZED LOANS TO GRADUATE AND PROFESSIONAL STUDENTS.

Section 455(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1087e(a)) is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:

`(3) TERMINATION OF AUTHORITY TO MAKE INTEREST SUBSIDIZED LOANS TO GRADUATE AND PROFESSIONAL STUDENTS-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Subject to subparagraph (B) and notwithstanding any provision of this part or part B, for any period of instruction beginning on or after July 1, 2012--

`(i) a graduate or professional student shall not be eligible to receive a Federal Direct Stafford loan under this part; and

`(ii) the maximum annual amount of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans such a student may borrow in any academic year (as defined in section 481(a)(2)) or its equivalent shall be the maximum annual amount for such student determined under section 428H, plus an amount equal to the amount of Federal Direct Stafford loans the student would have received in the absence of this subparagraph.

`(B) EXCEPTION- Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to an individual enrolled in course work specified in paragraph (3)(B) or (4)(B) of section 484(b).'.

Quite the numbers adjustment
thomas.loc.gov...:4:./temp/~c1127SW9Oj:e87493:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

Thanks for the link.
Here is a link that is more searchable
thomas.loc.gov...:4:./temp/~c1127SW9Oj::

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Why has the media been so silent on this major change to Pell Grants. I understand our budget problem but why the MUM!!?? I always thought I was rather in tune to the news and this is an eye opener to me.

Bye Bye Pell Grants!! Bye Bye college for the middle class.

Obama drops education benefits in 2012 and the Pell Grant is cancelled by 2015. Projected Pell Grants budget zero from 2015 – 2021 Other education expenses are cut starting in 2012. Does the Obama administration mislead its public in regards to future education programs and Pell Grant cuts?

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: The Budget Control Act of 2011: An American Dilemma | NowPublic News Coverage www.nowpublic.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I could have my Russian history wrong, but I thought the Vodka prohibition in Russia was what finally triggered that revolution. I realize there was so much more, but the vodka prohibition was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, no?

Maybe if they take away McDonald's and American Idol Americans will start to get pissed.

This bill also states that the yearly increases can be expanded, and the amount would be deducted from the following year's budget - but it doesn't clearly define amounts, timeframes, limits, etc..

The way it's written it sounds like next year they could increase the debt ceiling by the full roughly 10 trillion, and then pass emergency legislation to increase it the next year too. I'm no lawyer, so I could be incorrect, but I do not see anything mentioned to check this section.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Here is a July 26 2011 letter from the CBO detailing the estimated impact that this legislation would have on the deficit. Perhaps this was the last nail in the $17 billion Pell Grant coffin.

Pell Grants. The bill would directly appropriate $9.0 billion for fiscal year 2012 and
$8.0 billion for fiscal year 2013 for Pell grants. Those funds would be used to supplement
funding for the portion of the Pell Grant program that is funded through annual
discretionary appropriations. CBO estimates that this provision would increase direct
spending by $17.0 billion over the 2012-2015 period (with no impact on outlays after
2015).

www.cbo.gov...

new topics

top topics

join