It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Said Rap Music Was Bad??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsncrs
Hip Hop is a massive part of my life. Nothing annoys me more than when people label all hip hop the same without actually doing any research or knowing a damn thing about it. They hear the mindless commercial trash on the radio and immediately throw all hip hop into the same basket. Truth is, REAL Hip Hop is meaningful, modern poetry that conveys a message. It is a legitimate form of music - and in my opinion, sometimes contains the most difficult and complex forms of lyricism in any genre.

I dislike Rock & Heavy metal music, but I would never go as far as to bad mouth it - purely because I haven't put in any effort to understand the musics history, roots or meaning to do so. Hip Hop has seen me through some of the toughest times in my life and I wouldn't be the person I am today without it.

When I was around 12 or so, I copped an original pressing of Jedi Mind Tricks - Amber Probe LP, and The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological and Electro Magentic Manipulation of Human Conciousness LP. The messages contained on these records are the reason I began asking questions, seeking out the truth about the things we talk discuss here on ATS. And I believe this LP is the reason I became a member of this forum to begin with.

No-one hates the mainstream s**t on the radio labelled "Hip Hop" more than I, but anyone who hears that and automatically regards all Hip Hop the same is close minded and needs to do a little research.

And now look at Vinnie Paz, he's a fat, ugly sell out. His music is a load of faux-horrorcore vaguely offensive Islamic crap. Just the same recycled crap about how he's crazy and he's going to kill you in a really crazy way because he's crazy and you're an infidel, and then afterwards he's going to drink cups of virgin blood and laugh.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I know Lil Wayne is mainstream, and if you've heard any of his songs on the radio, you might loathe his name, but he has a lot of songs that criticize our government. Of course, you will never hear these songs on the radio, but the point is I think he is a very overlooked artist.
examples:
"born and raised in the USA, where the government's watching what you do and say."

Every rapper criticises the government. EVERY rapper. Even non-political rappers. Gucci Mane probably has lines like that

Lil Wayne is crap. He's another gimmick with a weird voice and an ego that's left him with a retarded flow.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

I agree that Paz has fallen off a little - but he's paid his dues, and I still bump the psycho-social regularly..
There is still unbelievably talented underground artists putting out incredible music everyday, it's just drowned out by the masses of mainstream pop garbage force fed to the public. I just hate when they label it Hip Hop - cos it ain't.

ALSO.. Lil Wayne is the Hip Hop Anti-christ. Wish he was still in prison

edit on 2-8-2011 by jsncrs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Not long ago Rakim put out a new album and I was ecstatic. I just KNEW things were gonna turn around and real rap would be hitting the airwaves once more...NOPE. It was as if it never happened and Rakim was one of the true greats. Now if I wanna see real hip hop I have to go to one of those Legends of Hip Hop shows You know the ones...where there are lots of people from the 40+ crowd, lol.

The end of all the awesomeness came once people realized there was big money to be made. Once Diddy shuffled his dumb ass out there and proceeded to pimp Biggie (who I still dont think contributed as much as people say) for all that he was worth, it was over. From there materialism, misogyny, self hatred and a bunch of other nasty things were embraced full on...all in the name of getting paid. Then the south got a hold of it and if Diddy crapped in the bag....southern hip hop then proceeded to set the bag on fire. Outkast, Gheto Boys and a few others managed to show that its not all garbage but their voices were quickly drowned out by Lil Wayne and his Cash Money Brethren.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Agree totally with the Rakim comment. I'm nervous about Dre's LONNNNNGGGG awaited Detox album. If it's full of the radio s**t that himself and Eminem have been coming out with lately, heads will be out for blood. I mean, that album has been in the works for atleast 10+ years now..

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Sheeple Of Amerika was not a Rap song. Just a bad ass song. A "little" stale,but bad ass nonetheless.

Rap to swear, then give the message irritates me.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jsncrs

Eminem makes me sad now, lol. I mean, I know he had to clean his life up and everything but was it some kind of corporate sponsored detox program? Its like they replaced him with a Changeling. Ive been a fan off his music since he was rapping with a ski mask on and this new stuff....
Car commercials.....really?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
here is a song I liked so much I decided to add my drums to it,

grooveshark.com...
edit on 8/2/2011 by Irish614 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

Yeah I know what you mean, seems he took the Relapse album criticism to heart, cos his music has certainly deteriorated from there. I personally think Relapse is one of his greatest albums.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hip hop has died, much like all true forms of expression has died. The internet is next. Record companies are the problem, They are the people who dictate what gets put out. They basically force rappers to be or appear to be certain types of people. The image of the rapper is more important than the lyrics. Now I have no idea what race the owners of record labels are so I'll just say big business is the real issue.

Anyway the song that opened my eyes. This song made me think about things in very new way during my early teens (26 now) enjoy.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

wow man never heard that before, that is some good stuff!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Oh Shyte!! I almost forgot about ICP and Kottonmouth Kings.... Here's one where they collaberate...

and Wu-Tang... MY personal fav from the group was GZA....

edit on 3-8-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: add

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614

wow man never heard that before, that is some good stuff!

Yeah I first heard him in the late 90s. He had the last great commercial rap battle. It was canibus vs. ll cool j. He completely ripped ll a new one. but radio stations claimed ll won. That's when I knew real hip hop was dead. Once napster came out I found a bunch of his music but that song was like nothing I'd ever heard. It didn't lead me into conspiracies, it actually kept me level headed through all the conspiracies.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
[
edit on 3-8-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Great Post! Canibus is amazing. I admit I slept on him back in the 90's but in a way Im glad. I was in no way ready to really ingest what he had to say. Now that I am older and awakened I can really value the lyrical content.

Channel Zero could be a thread by itself.
edit on 3-8-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
There are quite a few videos in this thread that do nothing to convince people that rap music isn't bad... it's too gangsta man.... too offensive, Hip-Hop can be amazing, free...lyrically solid.

I defy anyone, even if you don't like "rap" to just listen to even the first 3 songs below and tell me that they're crap...

Most people wouldn't know decent music if is slapped them in the face, let alone decent Hip-Hop

edit on 3/8/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join