It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've been seeing stuff in the sky the past two nights...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I live in the Suburbs of Vancouver, BC and I'm always looking at the sky for years and I've yet to see anything dramatic. I've seen some lights here and there, could have easily been satellites or whatever. Last night was different and the first time I've seen something I cannot explain. I am open and would like to hear any explainations you might have. Or maybe you've seen something too??

So, I was outside on my patio having a smoke with my roommate, half watching the skies, mostly chatting. I caught something out of the corner of my eye which I assumed was a shooting star what with it being the season and all. Seeing that immediately put my attention upwards. What I saw blew my mind.

It was SO hard to see at first. I saw a small point of light like a really faint star. It blinked out and then appeared again about a foot (in my perception) to the left. But it wasn't that simple, it was almost like... Like it stretched over and then the original point snapped over. The only way I could explain is like it stretched like a rubber band and then snapped into the new position. Does that make sense? Probably not but I have no other explanation. It did this several times in a triangle formation.

I immediately told my friend to look and it was so faint it took her a moment to focus in on it. She saw it after a second and she said "OH MY GOD!" I made her to describe what she was seeing and she described to me in her own words exactly what I was seeing. Needless to say it was a satisfying moment!

As we watched it started to get way more dramatic. We watched in awe as one light turned to three and then four and back to one. Keep in mind that these lights are faint and we're struggling to keep our eyes on it. We keep describing what were seeing back and forth to ensure we're still seeing this and eyestrain isn't kicking in and playing tricks on us. So, as we watch, the one light that turned to four is now back to one. It sits for a moment and then it spits out a light and then another and finally a third. The three lights it spit out are equal distances apart from each other in a single file line. They get about a full foot away (again, in my perception) and the light in the back moves to the left along with the light in front. The light in front then stops for a second and just rips off so fast and is gone. The light in the back then does the same!! The middle one just sat along with the original one for about 5 minutes solid with nothing happenening. Then that light that used to be in the middle moved back close to the original one, circled around and rejoined it from the opposite side it exited it and THEN it started rubber banding again. We watched it do this rubber banding thing in a triangular pattern for maybe another 2-3 minutes when another light appeared and started doing the rubber band thing in the same pattern but they were linking. One was doing it's triangle through the centre of the other triangle. It was absolutely bizarre!! I have never seen anything like it.

Needless to say I'm hooked to skywatching again. Tonight I went out and watches for ten minutes and was flabbergasted to see something again!! This time it was a little leas dramatic but definitely interesting. I saw two individual lights that were moving from east to west parallel to each other. I watched them float lazily through the sky and was ready to dismiss them as satellites when they stepped mid flight and then shot off in opposite directions at INCREDIBLE speed. It looked like the rubber band thing again except way more pronounced.

It was so neat and I have no clue what it was. I know what I want it to be, but who the hell knows. I hoped I described it well enough. I wish I could have filmed it but there is no way my phone is gonna see a point of light that small. Too bad because I'm sure it would have helped my case here! Haha! So... Comments? Questions?
edit on 2-8-2011 by jar11 because: Spelling errors! Posting through an iPhone is annoying!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
A;right, the main question is..what exactly did you smoke when you step outside with your roommate?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jar11

That's peculiar.

I guess someone has to ask if you can try to get video.

That's me.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

Hahaha. I am from Vancouver so a very valid question! Just cigarettes I'm afraid. Dirty habit.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
did see a shooting star coming from the east-ish stop right when it got to the Milky Way late last night, very cool!

and thought about making a thread asking if anyone had seen something peculiar with the clouds over N Central Texas today around 3
edit on 2-8-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Very interesting. It just stopped?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jar11

yeah like usual disappeared kind of stop

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I was out on my balcony 2 stories up , a few nights ago and I kept seeing these very faint lights fly across the sky in front of me .
I thought it was weird as they were so faint and small and zapped really quickly .
Do birds reflect light at night time ?

The other thing I saw was a very bright star / planet in the same position nearly that the sun rises in a few hours later .

I was comparing it to the other stars to see if they were that bright and large . No they were not . I thought it looked like a let planes light as they come into land , but it never moved from its position .

Im in East coast Australia on the Gold Coast .

I dont know if that adds to your thread

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jar11

I witnessed something very strange over the Colorado mountains last summer that also moved in abrupt lateral steps. It was shortly before sun set in June of 2010 and I was looking to the west when a short thin line appeared, without any precursors, in the distance. The line appeared to light up in the low angle sun and had a darker area in the center. The line then disappeared only to reappear moments later a short distance over the right. This process of lateral steps repeated for 4 cycles then the line disappeared for the last time. Visibility that day was at least 25 miles in all directions that day (~10% humidity day) and nothing else could be resolved except this line.

I should also note that unusual activity was reported to MUFON during this same month. Thank you sharing your observations.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

From my understanding, having worked with animals my entire life, birds rarely ever fly at night, and definitely not at high altitudes like that. Most have poor vision, so they often don't do well at night.

Note, though, that I said most, and not all.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Im from Michigan North of detroit and about 2 months ago i was leaving the mall sun was going down but not total darkness and I witnessed 2 lights side by side. My first thought was stars but they appeard too close. I dont think it was an airplane or helicopter becuase of the way they were stopped with out movement, then all of a sudden one "light" zoomed in the other direction. i use the word zoom because it wasnt a gradual pull away Im not aware of any airplane or helicopter that could make such a manuver. I doubt it was a military air craft given the suburban location.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I've been watching the skies for a long time and recently I've also seen very strange happenings.

A satellite will look like a star, move straight across the sky and maintain it's speed. Pretty boring observation when you get used to seeing them.
The ISS and Shuttle will do the same but the Shuttle looked like a bright star or small planet while the ISS looks more like Venus or Jupiter flying across the sky.
Forget commercial or (known) military craft. What I see is way too far up and appear as small stars.

First time was in February. Went onto my back porch to have a smoke and saw what I can only explain as a small starburst...smaller than the Moon, bigger than any planet...followed by a satellite? moving away from it which quickly disappeared from view.

In May I saw what I thought was a satellite but it turned bright blue and just vanished while at 90 degrees overhead.

In June, on a hot and humid night in Liberty State Park, NJ, I saw one and when it got to about 60 degrees....Another Starburst! Then it vanished!

Last night I saw one moving at about twice the speed of what I normally see. This one was in a hurry! I would estimate twice the speed of the ISS. It moved over the clouds, so only saw it for a few seconds.

Does any of this make sense? I have a satellite tracking app on my iPhone and in every instance there was nothing that was supposed to be in the area of my sightings!

IMO, it's either Alien, military...or both. A lot of stuff going on now and it's only a matter of time when we'll have all the answers.

In the meantime, keep looking up...like I tell everyone!

edit on 2-8-2011 by maddog99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by maddog99

I used to look up at night for hours on end. Finally gave up after not seeing much. Just wanted to comment on how little people can be bothered to actually just look up. Why bother? Nothing going on right? People don't even consider it. It's a shame because I'm certain we would have more accounts like yours. I swear I recall taking a test when I was younger that was designed to prompt people to look upwards more often.

Any chance the starbursts you saw were comets of very low density? I imagine something of the sort may disintegrate quickly and appear as a burst, especially if said object was headed toward you. Just a thought.

And I always keep the saying in my heart :"Keep your eyes on the sky." Though I can no longer place the source of it.
edit on 2-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DeVIAS

Haha, you beat me too it, that was going to be my first question.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Just to chime in on this topic.

I work 12 hour night shifts outside, so I spend some time watching the sky. The past two nights I've noticed "moving stars" flying in straight paths. I work with ex-military and they can't even find a reasonable explanation. I also live right beside an air force base, however we all have clearance and know what aircraft is being held there.

Its just one of those "Huh, isn't that weird" situations.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by oxford3

Where abouts?

My fiancee told me that he saw what he thought was a shooting star last night. The only thing is, the light emitting from the street lamp in front of us should have obstructed his view of anything in the vicinity. He does not wear glasses and has pretty close to perfect vision.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Very interesting stories guys. Seems weird would see next to nothing for years and then bam two nights in a row.
Wonder what's going on up there, whatever it is.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

Na I keep track of all the cool stuff and this looked like an object breaking the atmosphere at a high rate of speed. At least that's my only logical explanation. Plus, being so close to nyc, we don't see many stars with all the lights and smog. When you see something here, it stands out! Only other way to describe it was it looked like what happens when the Enterprise hits warp. lol

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anusuia
The other thing I saw was a very bright star / planet in the same position nearly that the sun rises in a few hours later .

I was comparing it to the other stars to see if they were that bright and large . No they were not . I thought it looked like a let planes light as they come into land , but it never moved from its position .

Google Sky Map app is great for situations like this. Its not super precise, but close enough for general use. Or check out Stellarium for your 'puter...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
just saw another star do the exact same thing in same spot
but it's stroke was a little shorter and brighter

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join