It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gabrielle Giffords returns to House floor for debt ceiling vote -- "I had to be here for this vote.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

"Her presence today to make sure we honor the obligations of our great country is important and symbolic,” Pelosi said. "We are all privileged to call her a colleague, some of us very privileged to call her friend."

In a statement e-mailed by her office, Giffords said that she had been “deeply disappointed” by the gridlock in Washington as she watched the debt-ceiling debate unfold.

“After weeks of failed debate in Washington, I was pleased to see a solution to this crisis emerge,” Gifford said. I strongly believe that crossing the aisle for the good of the American people is more important than party politics. I had to be here for this vote. I could not take the chance that my absence could crash our economy.”

www.nationaljournal.com...

Although I know deep down she probably isn't much better then anyone else is congress I certainly like her.

What do you guys think?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb5464e0a567.jpg[/atsimg]

I am proud of her as a human being,
and as a strong survivor.

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bdf79da01eb2.png[/atsimg]
edit on 2-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

My only concern would be how she voted on the bill. I'm not sure if she voted for it or against it. I'd assume it's still good that she showed up. Shows she really cares.

Or I at least hope it wasn't a stunt.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Dear drew1749,

I don't even care how she voted, she showed up, she cared about representing her constituents. I gave you a star and send her one not knowing how she voted.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Good for her!As for the human waste that shot her and killed others hell is a reality that await him.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
My only concern would be how she voted on the bill. I'm not sure if she voted for it or against it. I'd assume it's still good that she showed up. Shows she really cares.

Or I at least hope it wasn't a stunt.

She voted in support of the bill.

This ABC blog reports the final vote as 269 - 161.

One person quoted said they had never seen such electricity on the floor of the house as when she appeared.

David Grouchy

casting a vote in support of the compromise debt ceiling bill.

blogs.abcnews.com...

video at the link
edit on 2-8-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Good for her it is a triumph of the human spirit!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Hmmm... I'm guessing the conversation went a bit like this...
Giffords answering phone "Hello?"
Pelosi: "Hi Gabby, it's Nancy. Howareyoufeelinggreatsohappyyou'redoingbetter. Say, we need to ask you a favor."
Giffords: "Yes?"
Pelosi: "We're trying to force through this trainwreck of a legislation and we need something impactfull for the media to focus on. We think your presence in the chamber for the vote would be such a great feel good story that the media can distract the pleebs with. Can we count on you?"
Giffords: "Well Nanc..."
Pelosi (interrupting):"Superb! Knew we could count on you. Be sure to stop by my chamber when you get here and I'll have an aide say 'hi' to you for me."

This was, without a doubt, the most set up pile of bullpies I have seen in a televised government event I have ever seen. It even trumps the "Mission Accomplished" aircraft carrier landing by GWB on the staged garbage meter. Good for Giffords for her recovery, BAD on the House for using her to distract from the crime they committed while she was present.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Sometimes you gotta separate the people from the politics. I think Gifford was sincere and not thinking of playing politics after what she just went through. Here statements about party politics may reflect her changed attitude. Time will tell, I am not a fan of her politics in the past however I don't think you can go through what she did and not change so I will give here the benefit of the doubt till I have reason not to.

The fact is most of the people in congress do not understand the monetary system so they just go along with party line thinking. Which is of course usually wrong.

top topics

join