It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Survey Results: The U.S. Debt Crisis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Rather than making a statement. I'd like someone to explain how this happened.. AGAIN?! When I was a kid, I remember being told how the USA was so in debt, that it would take a hundred years just to pay the interest on the money they owed. However, when Clinton was President, did he not, in what was considered his greatest contribution as President, pay this debt off? That was only 10 years ago, or so. Yet, it's happened again!! Does anyone know the actual differences here? For example, is the debt much larger this time? Can it be turned around, or is this a different playing field this time around? The papers in the UK range from positive to negative. As my opinion is, the US will bounce back, because it always does. In a negative point of view, some papers have said that, America has been humbled.. and that, things are gonna be interesting, because there's no way back for the US, and the top spot will shortly be taken by another country, which in turn, will produce a different market. Making things more interesting. I'm pretty positive that people will be rubbing their hands together, in glee, over this prospect. However, I hope the US will bounce back, and that it'll remain a strong economy for a long time to come. As I think it may effect us all negatively, in some way, or another. Personally, I buy a lot of American products, and I listen to a lot of American Music; I watch many of their TV programs and, as we all do, a lot of American movies. If the USA does go under, and the economy goes in to crisis. Then, surely it will effect everything? Which includes the companies and people that fund American Movies. Using the entertainment industry as an example may seem a little shallow, or trivial, but my point is, that this could effect the things we love. In fact, it could effect a lot of things. Like some have said, the US gives billions of dollars to other countries. I believe it actually gives more money to those in need, than any other country. I read recently, that the US, is the 2nd most generous country in the world, in regards to the average amount given, per person in the country. So the USA's economy, surely, is vital to the whole world. My point here is, that the poor and those in need will surely suffer, too. Is this likely to happen? Also, is the US giving far too much money away? If this is a popular point of view, and funding is vastly reduced. Would it make the accession to recovery much quicker? If it happens, will it have a drastic effect on the whole world? I think so, for sure. I hope the US recovers it debt ASAP.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
I wonder if the results from this ATS Survey could be submitted as a reliable source/sample for helping to solve the U.S. Debt crisis. I see the first and last frames appear valid questions while the ones in between are skewed to show divisiveness among "political parties".

Well you can stop wondering right there. Assuming this survey was as unskewed as possible (lol), the polling sample represents probably less than 1% of the USA's population.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by awareness10

That's a very good point, but the world needs the generosity of the USA, surely? What about cut backs elsewhere? However, as you mention the funding that goes to Israel. I never knew it was that large. What is the purpose of this vast amount of money that they're giving Israel, or is that a different topic entirely? Anyway, what about cutting back on weapons, and other negative processes that demand such a high amount of money? Surely they'll have to go first?!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
to neo96 and Laokin: The result doesn't say anywhere who is more corrupt than who but rather what percentage of the people who voted think some are corrupt in some degree or not. They are quite different things. Plus there is no contradiction in thinking that both political parties or media are extremely corrupt.

What is nice is about the corruption part of the results is that not even the republicans in here, there should be some important republican percentage in here for sure, think that republican media is virtuous.

What I really think is good about the results is that despite of the fact that we all are from different parts of the world, different cultural backgrounds, exposed to different mass media we do still think more or less the same...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
A friend of mine is quite caught up in the Republican vs Democrat paradigm at this point in time. Here is the thing, he can't see past his own side. He thinks all liberals are great nation loving humanitarians that sought out public office to make a difference in Americans hearts and lives.

This poll seems to reflect how one side can at least admit its own corruption.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Same with me Bob, but I think the answer is easy enough - Nobody wants to give up what they have and "tough it out" unless they have no other choice - some of us, have no other choice - we're already here.

Overall, I'm actually suprised how the results came out. I was assuming most people would be voting the opposite of what I was voting, but as it turns out they weren't.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Wow.

Of all the surveys ATS has done, the results of this one, IMHO, show a scary detachment from reality, make me wonder about the objectivity of my fellow members and would seem to have more to do with this than true thoughtfulness or reason.

Scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society. The scientists, who are members of the Social Cognitive Networks Academic Research Center (SCNARC) at Rensselaer, used computational and analytical methods to discover the tipping point where a minority belief becomes the majority opinion. The finding has implications for the study and influence of societal interactions ranging from the spread of innovations to the movement of political ideals.

"When the number of committed opinion holders is below 10 percent, there is no visible progress in the spread of ideas. It would literally take the amount of time comparable to the age of the universe for this size group to reach the majority," said SCNARC Director Boleslaw Szymanski, the Claire and Roland Schmitt Distinguished Professor at Rensselaer. "Once that number grows above 10 percent, the idea spreads like flame."

Tea Partiers and the ultra Right are nothing if not committed and vocal.

I, for one, view these results as a rally cry for independents and progressives on ATS and everywhere to make their voices heard, because I know we're bigger than 10%. And that has to start with our noodle-backed, mamby-pamby leader, the POTUS. It takes more than good ideas to lead, one must ACT on those ideas - shout them not whisper them and certainly not compromise them.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This poll conclusively proves that 60% of the ATS membership does not understand the concept of "most."
Line 2.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It's interesting that many want to see the default happen for big change to occur.

Many are wishing for our current way of government to simply disappear, in exchange for what exactly? I don't know.

What's funnier is people expect budget cuts which will affect the poor more but don't support increased taxes, even though the debt it so high it only makes sense to have cuts and tax increases...this is why the system will fail. No one is willing to give anything up.
edit on 2-8-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
what?

of the parties involved in this issue, which do you believe are the most corrupt?

and 60% think they are? even tho they control 1/3 of the government?

wow

and then the teaparty is more corrupt than the democrats?

wow

and the conservative media is the most corrupt?

wow

i just lost faith in ats
edit on 2-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

FYI the tea party represents the peoples hopes, the peoples hopes are influenced by TPTB making it a false hope, an illussion. An illusion can misguide a person which is why many people voted that way.

All In all it is natural to assume everything that has deep ties with the system is corrupted. It is like a cancer, spreading across. remember, it is all connected, one way or the other.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Not to start an argument but we have to say no to new taxes until they cut spending otherwise they just replace what was cut with the new tax raised and we are in the same boat. We must cut spending then accept raising taxes if they put every dollar towards the debt itself and not the deficit. We should not have a deficit, spend no more than what you have coming in. Really does not matter as they will continue to do what they do which is divide and conquer and get exactly what they want.

Good Poll and excellant presentation of the results..Thanks !

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CorneliusRandom

I'd like someone to explain how this happened.. AGAIN?! When I was a kid, I remember being told how the USA was so in debt, that it would take a hundred years just to pay the interest on the money they owed. However, when Clinton was President, did he not, in what was considered his greatest contribution as President, pay this debt off?

Clinton did not pay off the debt. Clinton had a budget that was operating at a surplus instead of a deficit. So he wasn't adding on to the debt, he was paying the debt down a little. A lot of times you will hear people say Clinton eliminated the Deficit, which is different than the debt.

Deficit = Spending more than you have
Debt = Money you have borrowed that you have to pay back

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I am actually amazed that there are a significant amount of people here to think Democrats are not corrupt, and that the Liberal-media outlets are not bias.

That is hilarious. And extremely depressing all at the same time.

Please folks stop being brainwashed by one of the sides of the coin.

There is no difference between Democrats and Republicans. None.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I don't think these responses are surprising at all, and believe the Survey has come back very accurately based on people opinions of those in power now. Obviously this is ATS, and it is our mantra to question authority of any type, with that said it doesn't stop us from arguing vehemently about our opinions and favors regarding our party of choice.

I feel this survey shows a need, for the coming together of like minded individuals, in realization that blame can not be placed solely on one party or individual but rather the gov't as a whole. Which is exactly what we need to do! Unify not divide. The political party system divides us based on opinion and pairs us against one another. This breeds hate, anger, and contempt amongst the population. 3 emotions which blur and/or narrow our vision of the whole picture, and keep us from realizing The Real Truth....

This $h!t is truly elementary, if we are ever going to see a real change, we need to unite with a common objective and make the change happen for ourselves. If not, the gov't will continue to see us as weak, feeble minded individuals who need to be told how to live in order to live!

edit on 8/2/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It did always seem like a lot of TeaBags come to this site. It's good to know how many.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by kro32
Wow that is certainly a way to post poll results. Impressive.

Turned out pretty much the way I voted and the way I thought it was going too.

And I. Proud of the high column mark for "virtuous" Democrats. Notice the other two are scraping bottom as low as they can go. It isn't much, but it's a start and I'll take it.

Okay, I'll bite. In what way are the Democrats virtuous? I'm almost embarrassed for ATS as a whole that nearly 1 in 5 members view the Democrats as virtuous. I just literally laughed out loud thinking about that idea. My only consolidation is that the general public is even more gullible.

And while you're at it, you can explain how the Tea Party is more corrupt than liberal media outlets and Democrats? I could point out countless examples of fraud in the Democrat party. In other words, cases where a congress person went to prison or resigned under harsh scrutiny. I doubt I could point out a single example of clear-cut fraud within the Tea Party. Its surprising to me that someone could actually be so intellectually dishonest as to assume that the Tea Party is corrupt without any clear-cut examples of fraud. The first Tea Party event with speakers was December 2008 in Boston. During the December 2008 event there, Rand Paul was one of the speakers. He was very much accepted into the Kentucky Tea Party and went on to be in the first group of Tea Party senators. Rand Paul is basically a flagship candidate for the Tea Party. So, can you point out examples of how Rand Paul is corrupted? And also, would you like me to point out examples of corruption within the Democratic party leadership?

Here are some web search ideas:
corruption in the democrat party
corruption in the tea party

As far as I know, there is zero fraud or wrongful activity going on inside the Tea Party aside from the contamination by corrupted Republicans (such as the "Tea Party Express") jumping on the bandwagon. As far as I know, there is zero virtuous activity going on inside the Democrat (or Republican) party. But again, please tell me about this virtuous activity within the Democratic party.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

Here you ask a question...

In what way are the Democrats virtuous?

Here you answer it...

I'm almost embarrassed for ATS as a whole that nearly 1 in 5 members view the Democrats as virtuous.

See? You don't even need me. But then, you already knew that.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I am actually amazed that there are a significant amount of people here to think Democrats are not corrupt, and that the Liberal-media outlets are not bias.

That is hilarious. And extremely depressing all at the same time.

Please folks stop being brainwashed by one of the sides of the coin.

There is no difference between Democrats and Republicans. None.

Apparently and going by our survey...people seem to think there is a little bit of a difference.

What do people know anyway? People are stupid and misinformed and need others to tell them how to think anyway. What can you expect from a group many people here call "sheeple."
Sorry your peeps let you down. But also glad people can still see the mirrors through the smoke.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I would like to have seen a "do you think dems and repubs are any different"

I was a pro tea-partier but now I think they fragments of it have been hijacked
And that's the worse type of hijacking, where only fragments of it have been taken over
because in states where it hasn't been taken over, people won't recognize it's been taken over

Anyhow both conservative media and liberal media are corrupt and bought
However I believe that liberal media is way worse, I mean wayyyyy worse

Fox has Judge Napolitano & the almighty John Stossel who is friggin AWESOME!!!!
What does MSNBC have other 100% demogaguery?

I mean come on... who is better than John Stossel?
How about we give him a round of applause?

APPLAUSE clap clap clap clap

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join