It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am very disturbed because of something I saw on a Movie....

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Newleague

Originally posted by lilowl53
I am not religious at all, but I still have values and undersand the basic "rules" of what is right and wrong, and I think so many MANY people today do not. So sad. You're not alone in thinking that movie was disturbing.

Please tell me, which one of the basic "rules" allows YOU to decide what others can or can not do??

Nahh, your right, lets just make a law against children in movies, and pretend that none of this stuff happens in the REAL world....

Edit:
One more Question
According to those rules, and what your are saying.
It is right to make laws against things we dont like and/or understand, dont agree on or think is to violent/or have to much nudity for others to watch (we cant decide for ourself, if we want to see the movie??) so it must be maked illegal.
It is wrong, to explain your children what it is all about, teach them about what it is they are seing in tv, so they might learn something about our world?? (Iam guessing this is because children will DIE instantly if you do any of these things? am i right?)
Please Explain to me if i have gotten anything wrong, i dont know those rules you are reffering to...
edit on 2-8-2011 by Newleague because: (no reason given)

Good Grief, I just didn't like the movie either. Just say you don't agree with me, and be done with it. I don't really care about Hollywood movies, or the actors in them. I just think care should be taken when using children in these types of movies.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

I just feel this thread is a massive over exaggeration.

I question whether any of you have actually seen The Butterfly Effect, they way you're going on!

So we should censor everything because of the children?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
It is sickening and so very wrong...

reply to post by nunya13

I hated the movie Bruno also. I could not believe my eyes when these parents would do anything to make some money... one of them even said, yes to putting their baby on a diet!!! Why weren't they arrested????

Nunya13 & Thurisaz, I'm 50/50 about the film Bruno, but you must realise that the film was EDITED to make it look like the parents were responding to outrageous suggestions, when in fact they were answering yes to different questions. I know this as I spent several hours in a bar drinking with Sacha Baron Cohen and that subject was touched on. It is also quite obvious if you watch the film carefully.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Amen. S&F OP.
Ive always wondered what the parents of these children must be thinking. I havent seen butterfly effect, but ive seen films where children are murdering other people. ("The Good Son", "Orphan", etc.) I could never let my child act in such a role. Heck, I wouldnt even let my child curse on film. Discourage the language at home but allow it for a role in a movie? I dont think so. Hollywood is insane.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by billiam

How can you comment on it, if you've never seen it.

I've seen the film and although the OP is entitled to their opinion they are wildly exaggerating.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by billiam

Would you feel differently if it was a character in a book which swore?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
you think thats bad? watch Sleepers then

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Go watch Bewitched, you will be amazed they know how to make people disappear.

They probably don't watch Bewitched either - Witches are of the devil and whatnot.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Given that I have an interest in film making, I always criticize the scene or wonder how a scene was done. But that is irrelevant, the movie you are talking about is obviously not intended for a child audience whether or not a child participated in the filming of it.

If you don't want your kids to watch it, then don't let them. Problem solved..

Issue is not about what my kids watch...issue is children acting out adult themes AND acting out illegal activities for a movie production...

Filming a child naked acting out role play with implied sexual connotations is against the law... how did the producers get away with that?

There are many rules and laws that say what a child actor can and cannot do. They are very strict and look out for the child best interests. For you to say they are doing illegal things is just ignorant.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MartyMcFlyJr

Go watch Bewitched, you will be amazed they know how to make people disappear.

They probably don't watch Bewitched either - Witches are of the devil and whatnot.

The movie was not funny at all...

link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

ummm no

Hell ya umm no! I think I like your response very much.

link   

reply to post by boncho

I don't see the point you are making. Kids see adult themes such as smoking and alcohol in mainstream culture...but is it an issue that is accepted? No it is not.

What influence is the media having on our children? or for that matter, society as a whole?

This isn't about that though... the thread is about the use of child actors in violent movies, children acting out adult themes!!

In butterfly effect the KIDS WERE SMOKING !!! they weren't pretending to smoke!!!

edit on 1-8-2011 by Thurisaz because: (no reason given)

So what? Some kids smoke. Not all kids smoke. Most parents teach their kids what is good and bad, what is acceptable. Just because a kid in a movie smokes, that doesn't mean all kids will start smoking. The "kid" in the movie could have been 18 years old, but just looked young. They do that a lot in TV and movies.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Don't worry, people with a very similar fearful attitude as the OP's got laws and regulations passed many years ago so that no child would ever be exposed to anything remotely controversial and/or reflective of honest reality on a film set. The final cut of a movie is not even remotely indicative of the environment on set. It's almost as if movies aren't real.

Rest assured, whatever morality Hollywood does lack, it is more than made up for by insurance premiums and regulatory oversight. It's a serious risk to mess with labor laws and child protection laws. No filmmaker is going to risk his cash or career just to show something "dirty" to a child. Believe me, I have worked in the industry.

You know what has an even stronger effect on children's judgement and behavior than movies? Peers and parents. Are you going to outlaw peers and parents?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Man, it's people like you that need to take a step back and realize IT'S JUST A MOVIE.

Those children are well aware of the fact that what is going on is just a movie and not real.

God I hate people like you, the world would be soooo much better if people would just stop worrying about stupid s... they don't need to worry about. It's seriously thoughts like the ones you're telling us that slowly get our freedoms stripped because thoughts lead to actions and actions lead to eventual laws.

Keep this up and our movies are just going to consist of nothing but bleeps and blurs, until someone complains about how it offends them.... *rolls eyes and looks at signature*

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The OP is acting like it actually shows the child being molested on camera. It doesn't, it is just implied.

Also I'm fairly certain the child isn't naked as the OP claimed.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by idunno12

Originally posted by grahag
This post is part of what I hate about society as a whole.

Does no one describe the difference between real and make-believe any more? I don't ever recall the moment i learned between the two, but I definitely have a distinction, which I don't think people are getting taught or it being ingrained into life's lessons.

Movies are make believe and even most children know the difference. Why don't you?

When children are in movies with adult content, it's because they are ACTING. There's nothing I see in movies that is worse than anything I might see on the news at 6 or 10pm.

In any case, sheltering children from the rest of the world is just going to make this world that much more harsh when they finally get out into it.

Ok...

Then let's try an experiment.

You take your 8 year old little girl into the bedroom with her father and then tell her that she and daddy are going to act out a scene where he pretends to rape her. And you film it while directing the scene. And then go ahead and show the film to your family after Thanksgiving meal. Be sure your grandmother, your mother, and YOUR father have a front row seat.

Let me know how that goes....

That is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. Get real.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by grahag

So allow, say, a 9 year old girl to act out a rape scene in a movie because, "hey, afterall, it just might happen to you in real life?" Are you joking? Yes, the world is cruel, but we dont need to teach our kids that salient fact by having them pretend to be in horrific situations. As the OP stated, if you had your daughter act out a rape scene in youre home, shed likely be taken away by the authorities. And probably rightly so. Heck, you wouldnt even have to get that far. Have her take her own clothes off on camera and she'll be a ward of the state in no time and you'll be well on your way to prison, where the inmates dont take kindly to child offenders. Or so I hear.

How about something like murder? Is that a game you'd encourage your kids to play at home? "Here jimmy, cover yourself in corn syrup and I'll hold a knife up above you while you play dead. Mom and Dad will be so proud to see us playing games about bad things that happen in real life every day! They'll know they taught us well about the real world!"

Give me a break. Sure, hollywood is make-believe, no one is arguing otherwise, but lines should be drawn as to how "real" the situations children should be allowed to act out are. No one is saying you cant watch horror films if thats what suits your fancy, but for God's sake, lets use a little discretion before having innocent children re-create humanity's deepest levels of insanity.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
The OP is acting like it actually shows the child being molested on camera. It doesn't, it is just implied.

Also I'm fairly certain the child isn't naked as the OP claimed.

They aren't, at worst, ashton's younger self is in his underwear..... Cause, you know, noone has EVER released video of a child in their underwear.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I was commenting on the overall issue; that children are acting out scenes that children are, according to the ratings bureau, not even allowed to watch. It extends beyond this one movie.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by billiam
reply to post by Kram09

I was commenting on the overall issue; that children are acting out scenes that children are, according to the ratings bureau, not even allowed to watch. It extends beyond this one movie.

I work at a web hosting company that allows adult sites, we have a few < 17 working for us. They have to have their parents agree to let them work there. I would assume this would also go for actors who are < 18 doing "adult scenes".

The movies are not rated A or NC17, which are "Noone under 18.... period." They are R, which is "Noone under 17 without a parent or guardian"

Your argument fails.
edit on 2-8-2011 by gabbermatt because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join