It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am very disturbed because of something I saw on a Movie....

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
post removed by staff
I knew he'd snap one day. You can't wear a ponytail that long and not loose your sanity, what with the constant pulling of hair on his scalp. Also, small shoes have the same effect.

By the way, can we change the title of this thread?

"I an very disturbed because I saw a movie and can't discern fantasy from reality..."

Just saying.
edit on 8/3/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Aug 5 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by highpriestess

Thanks for trashing my thread!!

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by highpriestess

No where did anyone say that depictions of rape in movies are actual rapes. The discussion was about what effects such egregious adult themes could have on children.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by puzzlesphere

Yes it's amazing the things that can be done with cameras and computers ! it's what makes it hard to believe anything you see in a photo or video is Real.

Talking back on topic i remember when i was 8 or 9 my mum had a friend over one night to paint my bed room and they were having a drink painting Blah Blah ... so any way the night goes on and me and my mums friends two daughters are watching tv its like 11:30pm on a school night and we are watching tv in the loungroom when one minute we go piss bolting into my room "MUM" "The girl on the tv just threw up green stuff yuck it was gross" They thinkin hmm sounds like the exorcist and laugh it off bit goes by we come screaming back in the room Screaming "MUM" we had just watched the scene where she enjoys her cross And says a few choice words ! Any way our parents were not pleaseed to say the least this was back around 1990/91 and they couldn't believe this show was on tv.

MY point is though they can blame the tv stations movie producers who ever but if they had not had us up late unattended on a school night when at midnight we should have really been in bed, the whole thing would not have happened.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

The people who have a knee-jerk reaction of "It's not real!" have a much too simplistic view of the psychological and social aspects of such "entertainment". Try expanding your thought processes. The fact that such vile behavior occurs in real life is not a justification of promoting and encouraging such behavior...and yes, violent behavior actually IS glorified frequently. People constantly yammer about how parents are responsible for their children yet don't think the people who put out such garbage should be held responsible for their actions and making it more and more difficult for parents to shield their children from such negative influences.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Adults have to do their jobs as PARENTS !!

Its under your responsability to explain your kids what happen in MOVIES is NOT REAL

Are you lacking the actualy intellect to understand is not the movie industry to take care of your kids ?

A movie is nothing more than a visual interpretation, and depicting a scenario including minors is not a crime

So if we follow your concepts, we have to bans books, games and comics including kids in violent or sexual situations

You are the peoples who actualy make the words "knowledge,creativity" lose their meanings.

Remember, they started by burning books, then went for movies , because from their points off view it was subversive
edit on 3-8-2011 by AnonymousVan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Ok so what i just tried saying too you using the same movie you did as an example is that Most likely the children were not present in any of the scenes where violence was played out Well not in Australian Film Industry anyway Child protective Services wouldn't have a bar of it.
They would how ever most likely been a little informed on what the scene is about so i will admit to you there that the child would know whats going on, but kids are informed about molestation and rape at a young age and its a good thing it lets them know what to look out for and if they are not ashamed or made to think talking about it is wrong they are more likely to talk up if something did happen.

I suggest if you ever get the chance to go on a movie/Tv set do it and watch the vibe there is alot different than the violence you see in the finished product! IMO
edit on 3?8?2011 by rboiATS because: Left some words out LOL

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
These kids who star in these movies are closely monitored, and when it's all said and done they make a pretty penny.

I'm sure that money ends up in college funds and the kids have decent lives.

Jeez, people REALLY need to lighten up.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
These kids who star in these movies are closely monitored, and when it's all said and done they make a pretty penny.

I'm sure that money ends up in college funds and the kids have decent lives.

Yep and the ones that dont are usually the ones who are used and ripped off by their PARENTS and Family
edit on 3?8?2011 by rboiATS because: Spelling lol, it's really bad

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
This post is part of what I hate about society as a whole.

Does no one describe the difference between real and make-believe any more? I don't ever recall the moment i learned between the two, but I definitely have a distinction, which I don't think people are getting taught or it being ingrained into life's lessons.

Movies are make believe and even most children know the difference. Why don't you?

When children are in movies with adult content, it's because they are ACTING. There's nothing I see in movies that is worse than anything I might see on the news at 6 or 10pm.

In any case, sheltering children from the rest of the world is just going to make this world that much more harsh when they finally get out into it.

I don't know about you, but if I had A kid, never, EVER would I let them act out a rape or murder or dog-burning scene for that matter. But especially the rape one; really I don't think rape has any place in a movie. It's the most disgusting thing.

I feel you OP.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousVan
Adults have to do their jobs as PARENTS !!

Its under your responsability to explain your kids what happen in MOVIES is NOT REAL

It takes far more than simply explaining that movies are not real. The entertainment industry constantly puts out pro-violence propoganda and glorifies a number of destructive behaviors. Not to mention it's completely anti-intellectual. You can get rid of cable to ensure a positive home-life, but what about when they go to school or to a friend's house? People just don't want to hold "entertainers" responsible for anything simply because they are too caught up in pop-culture themselves.

A movie is nothing more than a visual interpretation, and depicting a scenario including minors is not a crime

You're being a bit naive about the extent to which the media can influence society, even adults like yourself. The media can actually set standards of normalcy.

You are the peoples who actualy make the words "knowledge,creativity" lose their meanings.

I honestly wouldn't equate the entertainment industry with "knowledge" and "creativity".

I suggest you watch this clip on how entertainment can influence people's (not just children's) behavior (skip to about 1:06):

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by rboiATS

thank you for contributing. I appreciate the information you have posted.

In some DVDs you can buy they have extra scenes where for they explain the film making process.
The movie 300 is an example here. That is a good thing as it helps to 'educate' people on the film making process.

However, a friend of mine's teenage Son watched it and had nightmares afterward and started crying... thinking that those things were real...thank fully the other disk helped him to see much of the film was computer generated.

Some movies however, do not have those extra disks. 300 was borderline for me because of the violence the child had to act out learning to be a warrior. (the disk did not explain that)

I believe educating children is a very good thing but that is best done at school... In Au the curriculum really teaches a lot about safe play and communicating etc...that is admininstered under legislation by an accredited authority.

I do agree, Parents have responsibilities to oversea what their children watch. Now with iphones etc... it is very hard to monitor.

I was very shocked to see the scene in BE and it is as simple as that... all I wanted to do is discuss it.

I have to go now but thanks for the discussion.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nihonjindesu08

oh yes, I forgot about the dog burning scene...that was truly horrendous.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteHat
I don't know about Butterfly Effect, didn't watch it, but I have recently watched Games of Throne, and I kind of liked it. Until one scene where one of the queen playing there was shown sitting on her throne, with one breast exposed and a kid about 5-6 years old intermittently suckling on it. That scene disgusted me beyond words; since that moment I stopped watching that movie. And I wish someone would prove to me that the kid was really that actress' child, and she was nursing him up to that age. Because otherwise a 5 y/o kid suckling a stranger' breast is sick to the core.

Right, because as you've never read all the books like I have (which would make a prude like you simply blush crimson!) you won't understand that it wasn't in there for cheap thrills. It was in there to show the weak and overly-mothered nature of Lysa's son. Being breastfeed at a late age, which isn't unheard of, is not "disgusting". Just weird.

And thanks to the wonderful human genome, human beings can happily allow other non-related humans to nurse from them. Hell, having a stranger's child nurse at a woman's breast is still better than drinking cow's milk. Now THAT'S weird.

As for the "make-believe" stupid excuse

Only stupid for those people, like you, who seem to have difficulty in distinguishing reality from fantasy and prefer to live their lives in a nanny state of softness and safeness. Best wrap your child in bubble wrap, make sure he doesn't fall down and scrape a knee cos as we all know, that's abuse!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by puzzlesphere

Can i just say that IMHO i think Dakota Fanning is one the most well adjusted young women & she has been in some of the most violent movies made in recent years.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Dawg, pretty sure we don't need to constantly shield kids from the world.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spotle99
Dawg, pretty sure we don't need to constantly shield kids from the world.

Nah, but we need to shield kids from you, ya perv.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Yes because there was a real dog in that bag !! I think maybe you should just not watch Tv, I'm out of ideas this threads crazy well some of it!

It always comes back to the parents.

Sorry but no i dont think school is a good place were anything important like that should to be taught as generally alot of kids wont speak up ask questions these things parents should be teaching there kids as well as family, I have no kids but i take an active role in eductaing my sisters kids on things i believe they should know and sometimes i go against my sisters wishes to do this but i never expect their teachers to. but i wont start that discussion here school and teachers are a whole new thread !!

Can i just say sometimes movies are made to provoke raw emotion from people try directing that emotion at the issues raised in such movies instead of the people making the movies i think makes more sense- no disrespect inteneded
edit on 3?8?2011 by rboiATS because: Replying to a part of post i didn't see !

edit on 3?8?2011 by rboiATS because: Missed a few words

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join