It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So... are you happy now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
we've just overcome the threat of a default on our debt, after all. After months of men and women refusing to allow the US government to pay its bills, honor its debts, and retain an economic presence in the world, we finally have a deal. Aren't you happy?

All it's going to cost is your elders' social security; they've already paid for the program, of course, but their benefits stand to get cut. Not because those benefits actually impact our debt at all (remember, they've already been paid for) but because in the game of politics, some members of our government want to score points by demolishing social programs. So those among you who vote and receive social security, are you happy now?

And let's all fall to our knees and praise whatever deities we hold dear, for the fact that there were no tax increases in this deal! Let's all, for a moment, just forget that cutting spending does not actually impact pre-existing debt. Our lords and ladies in the upper brackets, the moneyed monarchs and the noveau nobility will not be induced to pay into the system that they gain the greatest benefit from. No doubt this continued paid holiday for the upper crust will "trickle down" to we serfs and plebs. Any day now. Thirty years running, it's bound to kick in at any moment, right? And once we're all billionaires - as we must be, the prophets of the Great Invisible Hand predicted it thus - we won't have to pay anything, either!

And hallelujah, no cuts in sight for our military budget. Why, if we weren't pouring 60% of our GDP into defense, no doubt those grungy men in Baluchistan would sweep over our fair nation like a Mongol horde. Were it not for our daily output of $2,000,000,000 for the military, Iraq and Afghanistan and Libya would not be the shining cities on the hill that they are today, beacons of freedom and peace for all to gaze upon in wonder. Without these vast sums of money pouring down the gullet of the Military-industrial complex, we might have to actually work out terms of peace with these filthy camel-jockeys. Were not not four our annual $3bn outlay to our sister-state Israel, the poor tide of Immigrants to that great state might not have such easy access to nearly-free land, free of former occupants. So let us all be happy, ecstatic even, that just this month, as the fight over the debt ceiling was burning high and hot, our representatives and senators put down their axes and nooses just long enough to vote to give the military a $649b budget.

So. Are you happy now?

I know that the party who created all these debts and refuses to pay them is happy. They just got a deal that absolves them of responsibility, doesn't address their debts, and punishes the working men and women if this nation for that corruption. But what about you? Are you happy now? How about those of you were were demanding these changes in the first place? Pleased with the outcome?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Please show me when we "honor our debts" Our government can start by paying back Social security that they raided. How do they plan on doing that? Steal more of our money under taxation? What a joke.
Let's see them actully balance a budget once and have Obama make a budget.
edit on 8/1/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

And hallelujah, no cuts in sight for our military budget. Why, if we weren't pouring 60% of our GDP into defense, no doubt those grungy men in Baluchistan would sweep over our fair nation like a Mongol horde...

Ah yes - Sarcasm...the Drink of the Day, every Day.

Well said...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The whole charade is a lose-lose situation for Americans. Well, unless you're in the 1% that actually profit from the US continuing to toe the line with economic collapse. Don't fool yourself, though.....when it becomes profitable for the US to default, they'll flush the toilet and move on to the next stall.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well, whatever, it has to be paid... simple family economics: those credit card debts need settlin', aint that what they tell us? It's about time reality hit the fan.

Originally posted by MJZoo
The whole charade is a lose-lose situation for Americans. Well, unless you're in the 1% that actually profit from the US continuing to toe the line with economic collapse. Don't fool yourself, though.....when it becomes profitable for the US to default, they'll flush the toilet and move on to the next stall.

13 trillion of that is what the US owes itself though. Can't walk away from that.

I'm speechless really. All my life I've been told to cut my cloth to suit my needs, yet all the time these hypocrites were stitching us up. You couldn't make it up. What a monumental f**k-up.

One solution would be to slash the military budget & stop bombing people, for a month or two at least. The troops could do with a rest.

edit on 1-8-2011 by chocise because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yes I am super happy that by the year 2021 the debt of the US will be at a minimum 24.687 trillion dollars!
How could anyone be happy about this sham of a bill? In this bill they authorize 10.124 trillion in spending between now and 2021! The "special committee" that is supposed to find 1.5 trillion in cuts, only has until 2021 to find it, so I am sure they will have no problem finding it in the next 9 years.

ETA: Don't believe me? Have a look for yourself it's right there all in black and white. Source The good stuff starts at page 14 line 20!

edit on 8/1/2011 by SpaDe_ because: add info

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Don't forget the Super Congress ensuring Republican/Democrat control without a single provision for Independent representation, regardless of whether we the people kick the broken parties out. Imagine if this was enacted at our Founding? We'd still have the Federalists and Anti-Federalists running things.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
what are the cuts to social security they are proposing? I thought that was off the table. I am on disablity myself and my grandfather is on social security. Sure he gets his police pension but he retired back in the 1980s so he does not get much money. He worked very hard and he deserves his social secruity as well!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
what are the cuts to social security they are proposing? I thought that was off the table. I am on disablity myself and my grandfather is on social security. Sure he gets his police pension but he retired back in the 1980s so he does not get much money. He worked very hard and he deserves his social secruity as well!

From what I am reading there are not cuts to social security, but actually increases. You can read it for yourself here. Starts on page 8 line 20.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm sure this outcome pleases the billionaires of ATS and the rest of the USA.

i throw up my hands in disgust with us politics at the moment. wheres the smiley for that?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Funny you should mention the "trickle down economics," the inside joke on that is :
Yes, is does trickle down....everytime we urinate all over you.

Disgraceful is too kind a term for their sociopathic childish games.
The ship has run aground, and so they have lightened the ballast for the moment.
So now they will congradulate themselves and celebrate.
All the while the ship drifts aimlessly before the descent into the Maelstrom.

Clowns, ringleaders, and freaks at the helm. S&F

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
My dad has been on Social Security and Medicade for 25 years now. He paid in the system probably only 25grand in his lifetime. He's already received twice that much back PLUS Medicare and all expenses.

I've already paid in over $100,000 to Social Security.(I get my statements.I started working at 13)

They've already raised the retirement age.

I don't expect to get a dime out of SS when I die. There's no longer a thing called retirement.You work until you die or save extra money. No one told you yet? The golden years? The government perfers golden showers.
Don't make this a party thing. We're ALL in it together.

Here's a deal. Stop withholding MORE of my dough,let my dad continue receiving his benefits,and we'll call it even.

Good?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

See, maybe a few years ago, I would have been on board with you and "this isn't a party thing." To a degree, that's still true.

See, both parties are bad. But then one might as well equate the common cold and ebola because both are also "bad". Fact is, one really is far more terrible and destructive than the other, even though neither are something anyone really wants.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
You know what? I dont care. People are more concered with their tv shows to actually care about their country anymore. Theres no use in pointing out the obvious to the people that know whats going on. All it leads to is useless arguing over petty bullcrap.
edit on 1-8-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it petty.
I would call it...as Adam Once Said To Eve.."Better Stand Back Honey,I don't Know HOW Big It Will Get"

That's our government now. City, State,National,Global.

We're the good guys? For truth and justice and the American way? Who's America at this point?

I know..take care of our own first. Great Idea.

"An Idea Is A Hallucination Without Execution" Thomas Edison.

I'm not the only one who's getting tired of spoon fed info with a hidden adgenda at all times.

Go ahead..be a Tea Partier,Dem Or Republican...Good Luck. And then blame all the other ones.

Someone started a thread here a couple of days ago that had some teeth. I wish I had saved it.

Vote anyone in OUT..And rebuild THAT part of Government from scratch. Yep..We don't know the new players...but we know the existing ones.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
It all grieves me so. We have somehow, overnight it seems, become eunichs. No longer worthy of the monicker "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave".
This whole nightmare is so unbelieveable, so shockingly unbearable, is it any wonder so many of us prefer "Bread and Circuses"?
Simply based on "We The Peoples" unwillingness to stand up to the tyranny we have been, and are witnessing is an indication, to me, that we are ill prepared to survive any sort of SHTF scenario that is no doubt before us.
I truly fear for us all.
Peace
edit on 1-8-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Maybe if people could be cured of the partisan disease the OP exhibits in his post, his wishes would come true. Irony.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

The wealthy ran up the bill in this country...with tax cuts not paid for, wars not paid for, and a trade policy that has destroyed our manufacturing sector along with all the good pay that accompanied it.

And now the working man, the elderly, unemployed, and the poor will all pay the price....again.

And once again....billionaires walk away without paying another nickel.
edit on 1-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

And hallelujah, no cuts in sight for our military budget.

This is the biggest disappointment of the whole thing to me. The willful murder of the citizens of sovereign nations must end. I wonder why the Taxocrats let a deal go through without insisting on military cuts? If they'd stuck to their guns and really had principles and scruples, as well as caring about freedom and liberty for all the people of the Earth, they would have. But I guess their palms were getting dry.

I know that the party who created all these debts and refuses to pay them is happy. They just got a deal that absolves them of responsibility, doesn't address their debts, and punishes the working men and women if this nation for that corruption. But what about you? Are you happy now? How about those of you were were demanding these changes in the first place? Pleased with the outcome?

I really doubt that the Taxocrats are happy with this deal. But you never know.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

ETA: Don't believe me? Have a look for yourself it's right there all in black and white. Source The good stuff starts at page 14 line 20!

Im not the best at reading some of the stuff written in DC, but....am I reading this right?

20 ‘‘(c) DISCRETIONARY SPENDING LIMIT.—As used in
21 this part, the term ‘discretionary spending limit’ means—
22 ‘‘(1) with respect to fiscal year 2012—
23 ‘‘(A) for the security category,
24 $684,000,000,000 in new budget authority; and

1 ‘‘(B) for the nonsecurity category,
2 $359,000,000,000 in new budget authority;
3 ‘‘(2) with respect to fiscal year 2013—
4 ‘‘(A) for the security category,
5 $686,000,000,000 in new budget authority; and
6 ‘‘(B) for the nonsecurity category,
7 $361,000,000,000 in new budget authority;

Over 600 billion in the "security" category? Then 359 billion for non-security? I hope im just jumping to conclusions on this

ETA - Security meaning military
edit on 2-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join