It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why oh why do some many on ATS fight against logical explanation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
We all get that some people so desperately want to believe that they'll believe anything. For the most part (I'm guessing) they are the younger members.

We also get why some christians refuse to except anything not in the bible (I don't want a religious debate here, but we already know why. 6000 years and such - which is fine).

But why, for the most part, is common sense thrown totaly out of the window when it comes to "UFOs"? When a perfectly ordinary explanation is given, why not just except it? I have no viewpoint here - it's just a simple question.

By this I mean why isn't roswell excepted as is? What about rendlesham forest? The Pheonic lights? JAL?

Do those that believe in these have reasons to? Or are they just desperate to prove the most unlikely scenarios?

Again - just a question...

These aren't double sided questions, but just questions.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Most people want un-logical explanations.. For perfectly logical situations..
edit on 1-8-2011 by TechVampyre because: gramma

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think people just get tired of hearing "Fake!", "Hoax!", "CGI!" - they feel like there's no middle ground, they have to either vehemently deny, or be one of those people screaming "Fake!", "Hoax!", "CGI!"

I like to take the middle ground

If its something unique to me, I bring it here - they can usually convince me within a few posts that there's nothing to it. Since I've been here I learned about LCD balloons and RC vehicles (I never heard of either of those before).

Earlier, someone brought an interesting video and while everyone was busy screaming about how obvious it was, it wasn't obvious to me. So I spent 5 minutes doing a simple overlay, and its reasonably clear the light came from the top of a building obscured in the darkness.

So anyone yelling "Fake!", "Hoax!", "CGI!" was wrong too.

I believe in aliens, I believe in a higher power. My definition of both may not be conventional, and I have no proof of either of them - but I think having a belief is the important thing, not necessarily what you believe in.

I hope I've helped

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
viewpoints. different people have different views.
which is good. otherwise we'd all be the same. its good for healthy debate
one person thinks its a balloon, another thinks its a chinese lantern
simply put, they dont accept it because they dont believe it
its human nature after all..

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Interesting response.

To me, there are no shades of grey. God does, or doesn not exist. Aliens do, or do not exist. Our hopes and desires introduce they grey areas. My own feelings suggest that there is no god, but a chance of aliens.

I thank you for your straight forward reply!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
People fight because not everything is Chinese Lanterns and CGI. And all these 'Debunkers' claim every sighting can explained by those means and its not a good way to think.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
viewpoints. different people have different views.
which is good. otherwise we'd all be the same. its good for healthy debate
one person thinks its a balloon, another thinks its a chinese lantern
simply put, they dont accept it because they dont believe it
its human nature after all..

That's EXACTLY my question. As I said previously, to me, everything is either black or white (at least in respect to the question I asked).

Why the different viewpoints in respect of evidence?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
To much TV and not enough real life.

Just like when kids think Bruce Lee was the worlds greatest martial artist instead of an actor. Sometimes the idea is way cooler than reality.

I believe in alien life somewhere in the universe. I just dont believe the fuzzy dots in the sky we keep seeing from youtube has anything to do with them.

edit on 1-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeer0
People fight because not everything is Chinese Lanterns and CGI. And all these 'Debunkers' claim every sighting can explained by those means and its not a good way to think.

I don't know what a debunker is, but isn't a normal logical explanation the best explanation?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
To much TV and not enough real life.

Just like when kids think Bruce Lee was a the world greatest martial artist instead of an actor. Sometimes the idea is way cooler than reality.

edit on 1-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

WOW... Is bruce not the best ever? Damn, I'm disapointed

edit on 1-8-2011 by WhatAliens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatAliens

Just about everyone who can prove a UFO fake and says all UFO Phenomenon can be explained "logically" can be called a 'Debunker'

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatAliens
We all get that some people so desperately want to believe that they'll believe anything. For the most part (I'm guessing) they are the younger members.

Agreed. I was the same way when I was new to conspiracies, UFO's, and the like. And then I turned 12.

But why, for the most part, is common sense thrown totaly out of the window when it comes to "UFOs"? When a perfectly ordinary explanation is given, why not just except it? I have no viewpoint here - it's just a simple question.

I think your first few lines answered this. Those that are younger do not possess the educational background to have a real, clear, objective view of the facts.

Do those that believe in these have reasons to? Or are they just desperate to prove the most unlikely scenarios?

Second sentence answers itself. I think most of all, it's the lack of education. I'm constantly hitting people with scientific facts and then I am responded to by seeing science as a whole attacked. It's incredibly absurd. The people who argue in favor of wild scenarios only cite themselves as sources or their "gut." I have yet to find one single person with a logical rebuttal and verified, testable, and consistent sources.

ETA: You can tell when people are wrong by being familiar with "logical fallacies." Of course, once confronted with this, the people resort to personal attacks. Many make appeals to ignorance or try to appeal to the human sense of self-importance. They often say things to make other members feel special and in doing so, convert them against those presenting solid facts. ie "You know you FEEL xxxx and yyyyy so you KNOW that science is wrong because you're different. You have special abilities." etc...
edit on 1-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
- because too much has been seen
- because the government habitually lies
- because it makes sense why the government lies about this
- because of full-time debunkers who are just as averse to reason and objectivity

link   

I can relate to the "black and white" attitude - psychiatrists will call you a "borderline personality" for that. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I can understand the problem with extremes.

Some people aren't comfortable in a grey area, and thats ok, but if you really think about it... I'm sure you'll find something you're not 100% positive on, and give it a great deal of belief.

I just try to respect everyone equally.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
edit on 1-8-2011 by Forevever because: proper wording

link   

What if Greys are grey areas of the mind

A lot of people don't want to apply logic...why because logic is a kill joy!!

The thread I have posted above is the one that I did years ago because I applied psychology to information I read about aliens...

A belief in ETs is far better than facing reality sometimes

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeer0

Just about everyone who can prove a UFO fake and says all UFO Phenomenon can be explained "logically" can be called a 'Debunker'

Nonsense. This is my black and white world - it either is or isn't. Debunkers generaly provide real factual evidence. UFO (alien specraft) aficionado's want to see something out of this world...

I'd like too see it too, but I ain't seen evidence yet.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

link   
There is a perfectly ordinary explanation for UFO's

ie - that there is absolutely nothing in the entire gamut of modern day UFO, ET, abduction, Crop circle phenomina that is not essentially identical to the age old phenomina associated with the 'supernatural'

That seing as there is no solid physical evidence whatsoever of extraterrestrials, not even a single decent photo, or SETI type signal.

The only logical and rational explanation is that these are supernatural phenomina in a new guise!

link   

For the most part, a non-believer would come up with one-liner - "It is a bug." than you have like a heap of stars.

I feel saddened for people who draw conclusions based on their preconceived beliefs. This is not a good way to dismiss, a supposed ufo footage, no.

It is best imo to have a rational discussion, with both sides explaining with facts, as to why they think it is what it is.

Apart from that, everyone needs to break free from any preconceived ideas when faced with such situations. Because it not gonna help verify or dismiss the claim without proper analysis.

Peace

edit on 1-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
- because of full-time debunkers who are just as averse to reason and objectivity

Come again?

That's like saying "Because of these Indigo Children who don't venture into the supernatural with delusional fantasies."

Seriously, can you explain that?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join