It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's sad when fictional characters are more inspirational than your real leaders...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

This speech brought tears to my eyes it was so good. I have to ask how it's possible that fictional charecters seem like better leaders than the ones the currently have. I guess you could say it's because they're fake but really all they have behind them is writers and powerful voices? Doesn't the president write his speeches? Doesn't the president have a strong powerful voice? I don't know why I feel that this fictional President is so much better than our real one but I do.
edit on 8/1/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hollywood has better writers.

I watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington for the first time recently. Same situation. The good and brave ones tend to be fictional, while the ones in actual charge are...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree, Who is John Galt?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
And real leaders are also held accountable for what they say whereas fictional characters are there for the moment only.

And frankly if you don't know of many of the very very inspirational speeches made by real people you should really dig into history a bit more. There is no shortage of them.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

In Modern history our leaders don't speak very inspirational y. One might argue bush had some good speeches but you can't believe him. He isn't sincere. Neither is Obama.

Kro please try to be civil. I've seen some of your other posts you always go against the OP. Never agree. That's fine but I'm not debating anything here dude.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Actually Bush's 9/11 speech was considered one of the best ever given by a President whether you think it was sincere or not.

And I am being civil

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

We create fictional characters and embody them with the virtues we hold in the highest esteem.

Not to mention when I hear a speech like this, I just assume it's as scripted as the one in your video. They know just what to say to get you to buy into their actions. Elements of propaganda, psychology, appeal to emotion, these all play a part of how they use words to sway the masses.

"Words, Mr. Wordsworth, that have no substance and no dimension, like air, like the wind, like a vacuum that you make-believe has an existence by scribbling ..."

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
i cant stand martin sheen hes an actor!

you wanna know the difference between politicians and actors?

none they both get paid to make you think they are something their not.

why are they more inspirational?

they have better script writers.
edit on 1-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'd assume the difference is most actors aren't in it to be power hungry.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack

We create fictional characters and embody them with the virtues we hold in the highest esteem.

Not to mention when I hear a speech like this, I just assume it's as scripted as the one in your video. They know just what to say to get you to buy into their actions. Elements of propaganda, psychology, appeal to emotion, these all play a part of how they use words to sway the masses.

"Words, Mr. Wordsworth, that have no substance and no dimension, like air, like the wind, like a vacuum that you make-believe has an existence by scribbling ..."

Fair enough but why can't are leaders have good values? It seems every time we elect someone they don't go for this countries interests. It isn't fair I say. It just isn't fair.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

What are the interests of this country? It seems there are many different people with many different interests and the leaders will never please everyone so what your asking for is impossible to give you.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

In general something that will lead to good things for this country. Not being involved in wars that nobody approves of. Not policeing the world. Ect

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

There are lots of theories concerning this. I'll give a few here:

1) They start off with ideals but become corrupted by money/ power.

2) Elections are controlled and only those that are compromised (infidelity, sexual misconduct, etc) are allowed in so that they can be controlled under threat of revelation to the masses.

3) While not all politicians are hungry to gain power over the masses, those that want this power would be more inclined to run for office.

4) The psychotic are not running around with knives stabbing everyone. Many are very intelligent and know how to use their sociopathic charisma to gain respect among their peers. Eventually, they use this to gain power.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

It is not like there is an obvious good way and bad way laid out before the leaders when they make their decisions. Remember that the nation did not want to enter ww2 and FDR had to break the law, so to speak, just to be able to send equiptment to Briton to help them from being defeated.

Sometimes what the country wants at the moment is not what the leaders should do. The founders realized this also which is why you have an electoral system instead of direct elections for the President. I'm sure that if the President or leaders of Congress knew the best decision to always make they usually would. Unfortunately that is never the case.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Definitely.

The founding fathers railed against "Tyranny of the Majority" and "Excessive Democracy" in the Federalist papers.

Good point.

Many people make the mistake of believing we live in a pure Democracy. This was never the case. We're in between being a Democracy and a Republic, sometimes referred to as "Representative Democracy" or even "Democratic Republic."

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Amen, even the doctor is better then our government. Jack Harkness has honour and any character I can write is better then our shady, disturbing, thieving government.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Characters from movies 70 years ago are more inspirational than the leaders today. And this goes for both parties.

Charlie Chaplin = the dems
Herr Garbage = the repubs

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm for megaman 2012

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

yeah no they are never in it for the power oh wait now what was that about martins son?

charlie sheen?

bad apples everywhere you look

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It wouldn't be fictional if it were the other way around. It's life...full of imperfection. Move along.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join