It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's alcohol problem.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
well....

Here comes a Scot with an opinion on boozing

I find this a difficult scenario but first can i clear a few things.... leagal drinking age is 18 which is higher than most countries in mainland europe.

Boozing at football games is not permited, other than rugby i dont think alchol can be bought at any sporting event in scotland,

As for excess of units.. i drink rarley these days, but on a good night can easily see my way through a few bottles of red wine, some beers and Rum, on a stag doo.. easily double that in a day... and never feel the need to fight, or vomit in the streets or jump on things nor do i wake up in the morning n think i want to do it all over again (those days have passed)

i have a very close friend and him and another mate before they go out drinking polish off a bottle (litre) of vodka i need to repeat that BEFORE they go out, and really you wouldnt know it, i have seen him neck a bottle or two of rosie wine at band practice.... it just happens, but he doesnt drink every night.. or even every day of the weekend (although maybe more than others)

point being diffrent people have diffrent thresholds for booze, some can handle many many pints and some cant, its just about knowing your limits, the problem with the figures on how much booze costs NHS is not based on older guys with alchol addiction or general health problems with alchol, its young men and women, like real young, 18/19/20/21/22 year olds, they cause the fights, get tooo drunk for there own good do not know the limits, drink the WRONG type of booze.. for example.. Jaeger bombs are a big thing in the uk, 1 shot of Jaegermeister dropped in a glass of red bull and drank in one... you drink enough of them and you can get black out drunk... (you can take my word on it) and you literally become a diffrent person. its drinking energy drinks high caffine and cheap spirits that cause the issue.

in scotland Buckfast tonic wine is drank by the less than desireable class of people (however many many scots including myself cant see past it somtimes, such a good drink when cold) it has a high caffine count, and people who drink alot of it over the weekend get into fights...

its not quantity its essentially quality that causes financial and social problems with drinking in the uk, as many high caffine/sugar/addative shots down you as quickly as possible!!

Just my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
Boozing at football games is not permited, other than rugby i dont think alchol can be bought at any sporting event in scotland,

In England, you can drink at football games, just not during the 45 minutes of each half and not inside the bowl. You can neck as many as you like at half time in the tunnels though! A Rugby game, on the other hand, is a far more civilised affair and you are allowed to drink throughout and inside the bowl...

Scotland though, you have other issues in your football aside from the usual rubbish, so can see the logic of making sure no-one is pissed.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Alcohol is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is legal
Smoking is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is legal
Marijuana is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is illegal.

Alcohol is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is legal
Smoking is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is legal
Marijuana is not physically addictive and Has never killed anyone, yet it is illegal.

FTFY. remeber to deny ignorance not spread it. Alcohol is a serious problem and it won't be solved overnight, but raising the drinking age so that children are no longer drinking and educating the young would hopefully have a positive influence on the children so that they make better more informed decisions about the health consequences of drug use.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I just want to make it clear that I am not against drinking. I'm certainly no control freak and I don't work for an NGO as someone has stated.
I, like many others had their right of passage down the park at 16 with a big bottle of cider, the initial gateway drug. I enjoy a drink (although to medical reasons I cant drink as frequently as I used to). I was just pointing out some of the social and financial implications the binge drinking culture has caused. If you dont think binge drinking culture is a problem that's fair enough, you carry on and enjoy yourselves, it's no skin off my nose.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Right....

I was ranting about somthing to a work mate there and came up with a theory.....

Stick with me on this.....

Main land europe..... Diet is better and Drinking age is usually around 14 for Beers and wines (with 16/17) for spirits
People in these countries have a much lower Obesity rate than in the rest of the western world....

Britain a slightly higher drinking age of 18 for all drink spirits at the same time... a diet consisting mostly of food to be cosumed by those in manual labour type jobs but is now being eaten by (and drank, heavy ales etc. etc.) by people sitting around on the bum all day on the phone... a high level of obesity

Now America... highest level of drinking age across the country at 21... again getting introduced into all booze at the same time, easting a diet of mostly germanic foods (sausages, burgers and similar) again food designed to be high protien and calory for those working hard in field or outside now same diet and much lazier job types...

Possibly a younger introduction to alchol is the way forward?? there is less of a drink issue in mainland europe than booze induced fights at either every sporting event in the US or every town Center in the UK, there seems to be a better respect for having a few drinks as opposed to feeling the need to get drunker and drunker because you can...

Maybe the education with booze, and the taboo-ness about it growing up in english speaking countries is what causes all anti social behaviour problems in these areas??

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Sorry buddy but Marijuana DOES NOT KILL, 'if overused' - its physically impossible for a human being to smoke the required amount to physically die.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by GonzoSinister

In England, you can drink at football games, just not during the 45 minutes of each half and not inside the bowl. You can neck as many as you like at half time in the tunnels though! A Rugby game, on the other hand, is a far more civilised affair and you are allowed to drink throughout and inside the bowl...

Scotland though, you have other issues in your football aside from the usual rubbish, so can see the logic of making sure no-one is pissed.

yeah too right we do... we cant see by christian on christian violence to even get drunk enough to fight

see i thought the rules in england for football matches were a little diffrent, and i dunno is cricket the same as rugby? it is def a more civilised way of dealing with the drink as if you make it illeagal people act like there missing out on somthing so as you said, neck as many as they can.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by chocise

God, thats the best thing i can think of to say to someone whos an alcoholic or even drinks casually, 'Respect Yourself' No doubt they'll laugh it off as there half pissed and have another beer or something but thats what it boils down to, lack of respect - for themselves, If a food kept making you feel sick everytime you ate it, but it tasted good, you wouldnt keep eating it would you ? I dont understand the mentality of the 'common man'

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
With their high tax on alcohol there is so much money to be made on boozing in the UK.

"According to British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) in 2009, alcohol contributed £14.6 billion in total to UK tax revenues with beer contributing £5.5 billion

Read more www.kgbanswers.co.uk..."

Alcopops were introduced in 1995, making underage drinking more attractive because it tastes good to kids.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This has been a "problem" since the year 1215 here in the UK (look it up)

Indigenous Britains like to drink, the British government likes people to drink because of ENORMOUS taxes paid VAT)

The problem is that some Britains are sub-iq level and they are stupidly criminal and unhealth even without Alcohol (Booze).

Charles Dickens writes much about "drink" in his books, it's not a new problem, it's not going away, no government whilst 'rinsing' taxes from the drinkers can complain an inch.

Double standards once again, if the Government made alcohol illegal (forget prohibition) like drugs, then at least they would be able to "throw the book at you" for being drunk.

While it's LEGAL to consume, who the F*%$ are you to tell me otherwise, especially while YOU are making MONEY from it.

Regards.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Surreptitious because: Spelling (as usual)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
There is a great quote by the legend baseball broadcaster Harry Caray..."the last time I turned down a drink I misunderstood the question"

Just thought a joke was in order

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have not read all the pages so apologies if some one has already mentioned this.
one of the problems which causes binge drinking is the bargain prices and the amount of alcohol big super market chains sell and the fact many public houses all over the country are having to close because of this.
You can buy a whole crate of beer in say tesco or asda for the price of a round of say 4 beers in a pub.
So when people go on a night out they don't go down the local for a few before hitting the town, they go down tesco and stock up and get smahed before they even hit the clubs.
I feel there is far too much alcohol available, its far too cheap and it far too easy to get access to, especially for youths.
When i was about 16 it was great fun making fake id's and trying to get served in pubs. The buzz from actually getting served and bringing the beers back for your mates was great. Now there are no pubs so the teens get the cheap booze from there local tesco express or off licence and go down the local park or common and drink the lot.
I have two young daughters and its not nice going to the local park and telling the kids they cant play as there's broken glass and puke everywhere.
The government make so much money from alcohol that they will never really do anything about it. It wasnt so long ago that they introduced a 24 hour drinking license because that really helps.
I personally have not had a drink for a few years as i prefer to keep things natural and i have seen what alcohol can do to you.
As for marijuana killing you? Is there any proof of this? the tobacco in the spliff might give you cancer and you die as a result or your dealer may blow your brains out if you try screwing him over, but other than this i cant think of anything.
I was always aware that marijuana on its own does the exact opposite of kill you. Lives have been saved due to the medicinal properties of marijuana. Why the government choose to make it illegal is pretty obvious i guess, but that is a different subject altogether.
Great thread, thanks.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Je3Re3My
There is a great quote by the legend baseball broadcaster Harry Caray..."the last time I turned down a drink I misunderstood the question"

Just thought a joke was in order

Excellent comment

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

i am the one who accused you of working for an NGO.

It is common practice in these NGOs for volunteers to write pieces in various chat rooms and write letters to the editor to give the impression that the public is concerned about these issues.

You posted a story that was planted in the media to compare consumption rates of alcohol to "safe drinking limits' that have no scientific basis and planted the notion that alcohol taxes must be raised to counter the drinking problem. In fact, there is no drinking problem. Consumption rates have been falling for over 70 years.

AS for binge drinkings - its a common term. We think it means drinking to excess so that you end up vomiting, blacking out etc etc. But the true definition of binge drinking as far as the NGOs are concerned is drinking more than 5 drinks in the same evening

www.canada.com...

So when the newpapers speak of binge drinking, you are thinking of one thing, while they are really speaking of another.

As for young men fighting....when .....in the whole history of the world....have young men not fought to establish dominance, get the girl, test themselves against others etc etc and what has drinking got to do with it? Do you truly believe that if young men were limited to no more than 1 drink in an evening, the fighting would stop?

By the by - most volunteers for NGOs are quick to deny the affiliation.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I can (hand on heart) say I was sober for 5 months up until this past weekend where I decided to splurge out on some JD+Coke, mainly due to things getting ontop of me and the usual reasons people drink (escapism.) But boy did it suck and reinstate my reasons why I wanted to quit binging altogether. I can say there is no pleasure waking up with a hangover lasting all day afterwards, chucking up the night-before's contents and vowing 'never again' only to wonder why the hell I even began in the first place.
People actually do this for 'fun'? not just once, but sometimes 3 times a week (Weds, Fri, Sat nights) and that's how futile their lives have become so they have to rely on a drug and the misfortune of themselves or others in order to have a good time. I'm just lucky my 'binge' was by myself at home and not to the amusement of the other village idiots, hell 5 months sober is a pretty good deal for a guy barely into his 30's especially here in the UK.

All I can say is, enjoy your alcohol, but like with anything don't let it become who you are. nothing beats waking up on a weekend feeling fresh and jumping into the shower ready to go on a 20-mile hike into the mountains. Compare that to being stuck in bed all day with a throbbing headache, sore stomach, and bad regrets. that's if your lucky.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Could the fact that fizzy drinks have been linked to fatty liver disease have any bearing on the rise in liver problems in the young? These drinks are consumed more than ever before.

Source

I am one of the older members, imo people drink no more than before, what we have is a twentyfour hour media which has to fill those hours with something, the more sensational the better.

Also it is all part of the nanny state, we drink too much, are to fat, thin, go out in the sun too much, don't go out in the sun enough.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenMe2012
It's far too cheap

Not lately...

Just to give some perspective on this, drinking in the UK has "doubled" (pardon the pun) in price since 2009.

4x cans of "Strongbow Cider" from TESCO in 2009 used to cost £2.39, here now in 2011 it costs £3.99 !!!

Most people who are on benefits/welfare cannot afford to get drunk because of the price and the fact all beer/wine is now much lower alcohol volumetric %, compaired to two years ago.

Regards.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Surreptitious because: Spelling mistake

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

OMG, your paranoid mate, you think an NGO would employ someone with such bad gramatical skills as myself. If you want to know, I live on disability allowance due to my illness. Although if offered a job to get paid by an NGO to post on ATS, I would probably take the gig.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The Teens in this country are drinking themselves to death because they have no purpose in life..

Without God they are lost sheep so they think life's one big party and they can treat there body's with no respect.

Well i tell you something, im glad to be in the minority of young people who prefer cannabis over alcohol consumption. A much safer, healthy natural substance that God put on this earth.

Fermented alcohol is evil, unnatural, and made by man.

When will these young people realize they're killing there livers?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I hate the idea of ID'ing people, but I don't know.
Say everyone in the UK who is over 18 wants to purchase alcohol a scheme should be rolled out to have a card with certain 'points' on them elected to everyone that gets reinstated during the working week. This way its ensured people don't overindulge on alcohol and spread the drinking rate responsibly. And at the same time people using the 'points' together then have to forfeit for someone else. Say Billy buys his mate a beer at the pub, his mate then owes him those points.

It could be a week-scheme, or something rolled out for individual pubs/clubs. Just like festivals are starting to introduce pre-paid wristbands for purchasing alcohol.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join