It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's alcohol problem.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
Tories+NHS= disaster!

But the 13 years of Labour "tax and spend" which led us into this position of having no money (remember, Blair and Brown inherited a significant budget surplus in 1997) is to be applauded?

Say what you will about the Tories (and a lot of it would be right) but they can manage a budget and not get misty eyed about grandiose poverty targets or opening the borders to the worlds downtrodden.

reply to post by Freeborn

Indeed and if a certain pungent plant was allowed to be sold and smoked, I would bet a Billion pounds (I don't have it, but then neither does the Government but that doesn't stop them) that alcohol related crime and hospital visits would shrink dramatically.

I think the problem comes from Alcohol being the only drug we're allowed and it isn't the best choice by far!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Ah! so now you have opened your mind a crack!

There are some people who drink irresponsibly but the majority do NOT! So now I ask - how is this societies problem and why must something be done about it?

Now - go back to the original post and read the article again. What impression do you get? That drinking is getting worse and worse - that society is suffering - that action MUST be taken!

The WHO has a documented plan to demonize alcohol. But if people don't think there is a problem - they won't support throwing money at it.

Now be honest - is this the problem you think your tax dollars should be going to and who will profit.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The drinkers will protest against raising taxes but then the people paying extra because of drinking will want to raise taxes. Whoever wins, someone loses, and the majority will be able to pass laws and programs against the minority.

This is one of the problems with socialized healthcare.
edit on 2-8-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by thedarktower

Prohibition of anything doesn't work.
As current drug laws clearly show.

I agree; legalise everything but monitor it, set tolerance levels for work and driving etc and then with the vast amounts of money saved due to reduced policing and prison population spend on real education.

But hell, we're not supposed to discuss that here on ATS so what chance have we got of having a reasoned debate in 'real' life.

Unfortunately the moral minority continue to brainwash people into believing the evils of drink and drugs and imposing their repressive morals on everyone else.

exactly, alcohol is probably the worst drug out there, and most don't even realise its a drug, they say its a drink. Its man made, addictive, alters your state of consciousness, damages your body and mind, its a drug. What i hate is when people go on about the illegal drugs as if they are evil yet sit there with a drink in their hand while saying it

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Lifeform11

please read this article.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

notice that the original post compares current consumption to safe drinking limits. These limits have absolutely no scientific basis.

now at the last of the article - notice the NGOs that are calling for a 10 % increase in the taxation of alcohol. I strongly suggest that you look at who is funding the NGOs. If you don't care to look it up - I can tell you right off the hop. Why its the government.

So the government funds NGOs to create the impression that there is problem and that the only solution to the problem is increased taxation. Do you see how wrong this all is?

The NGO's will profit by government funding, the government will profit by excessive taxation and politicians will profit by posturing on how they will solve the "problem". The pharmaceutical companies will profit by selling cures for alcholism. The health units will profit by increased funding to treat alcholism and to join in the anti-alcohol campaigns. The NGOs will also look to sue the alcohol companies and the lawyers will profit.

And what was once perfectly normal and not a problem at all will end up costing the average joe billions of dollars. To solve the problem that never was.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Been living in UK for one year now, I find it amazing how many kids drink for the sake of getting drunk and to puke around trees at night. They have no culture of drinking, they think that to drink means to get nuked out of your brains. They don't know how to enjoy a proper wine, say like the french do.

This is a cultural thing among them here, at all ages, drink until you stop having any sense of the place around you.

Pretty sad if you ask me, especially when you see the ladies...

I got nothing against drinking, but when there is no head involved in the process then its simply a very big mess and ugly behaviour that you see all over UK.

This is one of the low points for UK, a very messy and dirty country full of drunk peeps. Guess it's part of their tradition.
Can't really change that.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mjw88

Sorry, it wasn't that long ago since I was a 15, 16 year old boy and I didnt resort to drinking down the park on a Friday night. And the claim of no sports in schools is ludicrous. The opportunities are always there, its a lack of interest in school that is the problem. Besides, what's stopping you getting a football and playing a game down the park?

Most of the "inner city" kids you see on TV bemoaning the "lack of opportunity" or those that don;t give a hoot about school are the ones that are 100% convinced they are the next Snoop dog. Thing is, by 19, they haven;t made it as a "rapper", have no GCSE's because they "couldn't be bovered" and are now facing a life of misery simply because they had unrealistic hopes.

Which seems to be just about every other young bloke in the "inner city", it seems. A few years ago, Prince Charles got a rough ride in the papers for saying kids should be realistic, concentrate at school and actually be told that not everyone can be a superstar. The papers portrayed it was him saying "know your place", but isn't it just being honest and making them focus on being good at school, which is there best hope? I agree with him.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pericle
Been living in UK for one year now, I find it amazing how many kids drink for the sake of getting drunk and to puke around trees at night. They have no culture of drinking, they think that to drink means to get nuked out of your brains

Ahh childhood memories

But seriously, I dont know many people who dont go through the above while growing up. Obviously some keep doing the same day in day out, but not everyone.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Pericle

The UK is messy and dirty? Where have you been, exactly?

But, having a few parties, getting drunk and being a bit of a nob is part of growing up, not just in the UK but all over. I have to admit, when I was 14 I had a thing for JD and coke, but only on Saturdays after my Rugby match and then actually round a mates house where it could be controlled.

Back in my day, the Fuzzletons would swiftly move you on if you were found to be drinking in a park somewhere and thats when we had less Police!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
reply to post by chocise

I must be one of the few legitimate Irish peons that think it tastes like pish. After admiting that im waiting for the guards to come and take my citizenship off me.

One of my favourite pubs when in Dublin doesn't even serve Guiness - Porterhouse, but they have an absolutely fine selection of other ales on offer. Very expensive to a UK wallet though.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

reply to post by starchild10

The traditional British local is becoming a thing of the past and are shutting down at alarming rates.

I am a personal license holder and have ran my own pubs.
The odds are stacked against you and unless you can afford to have a free house, and if I could afford that I wouldn't bother with the hassle of running my own pub, or are managing for a large chain, with their horrible decor, false ambience and pre-prepared mass produced meals, then there is very little margin for profit.
Between the breweries, the pub co's and the various taxes and charges it leaves very little for the landlord I assure you.

Oh, and just to settle the arguement, 16 and 17 year old's can drink alcohol with a meal providing it is bought for them by an adult.
Once they have finished their meal they can not drink alcohol.
However, licensee's still have the right to refuse them if they wish to and do not have to give a reason or explanation.
edit on 1/8/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

Sadly Freeborn, you are right. In a small town in Nottinghamshire, I bought our current house just under 20 years ago and there were two pubs within about 500 yards of us that were both jam packed at the time every Friday and Saturday, live bands, lots of fun. Now, although the town has grown, those two pubs are empty. No community spirit, very sad.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Maybe the rape of your human rights over time has led to people being more depressed. The U.S. isn't far behind you. I mean if 2 armed criminals broke in my house, and I simply punched them, and I was the one charged, id drink like a fish.

Deebo

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

All the wrong places I guess.

But seriously now, UK is not a clean country, every time I go on a trip outside UK the first thing I notice is how clean things are. Might be just me...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
Maybe the rape of your human rights over time has led to people being more depressed. The U.S. isn't far behind you. I mean if 2 armed criminals broke in my house, and I simply punched them, and I was the one charged, id drink like a fish.

Oh right, that explains is it, doesn't it?

What "Human Rights" of ours have been "raped"?

And what are you on about with the burglar comment? Some guy knifed a burglar to death in his home the other week and was let off without charge. Another shopkeeper was robbed last week, knifed one to death and looks like he is going to get off with it too..

Stop stereotyping and actually educate yourself. It isn't hard.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Youngsters drink so much because they earn good money and have nothing else to spend it on.

By the time they get a house and a family and start paying bills they can no longer afford to drink. So instead they complain about how youngsters drink so much these days .......

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Pericle

Again, depends where you go. If you stick to inner city area's, then yes, they can be right cesspits. But go out into the country or somewhere less urbanised and things can be very pleasant.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

reply to post by chocise

The smoking ban is a difficult one.

Unfortunately I'm also a smoker, one of my true real regrets in life, and like most smokers I smoke more when I'm drinking than I do when I'm not.
The majority of pubs I have done my drinking in have been the dark and dingy types with cigarette smoke thick in the air.
After a day in the pub my clothes would stink.

When they first brought the smoking ban in it was a nuisance and it certainly drove some of the older drinkers away but most have adapted and some of the best craic can be found outside in the smoking areas.

One of my pubs had no designated outside smoking area and punters had to stand in the middle of a major street, not ideal.
Due to the archaic British licensing laws, last orders was midnight in this pub, and my own fondness for drinking far later than that, I frequently partook in one of those quintissentially British of pastimes - the stoppy back - a.k.a. a lock in.
Obviously people were unable to smoke outside after hours and I used to get the ashtrays out, much to the annoyance of the non-smokers, and the pub would soon fill up with cigarette smoke.
Having become accustomed to a smoke free enviroment I too found it uncomfortable.

Even today if I'm somewhere where the smoking ban isn't strictly enforced, either at home or abroad, I still tend to stand outside to smoke.
I understand however that this is not to everyone's liking.

Surely a fairer solution would have been to either give landlords the option of being a smoking or non-smoking pub or allowed them to have designated smoking areas inside the pub isolated from other parts of the pub and with adequate extraction units etc.

But of course that would have offered choice and not helped the agenda of shutting pubs down.

Hey there, I think I share your experience 100% I do feel that it's the bar staff who do have the right not to breathe in the smoke - I'm not sure we are at a point where if some pubs chose to let smokers smoke on premise they could have a disclaimer for those that chose to work there.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Youngsters drink so much because they earn good money and have nothing else to spend it on.

By the time they get a house and a family and start paying bills they can no longer afford to drink. So instead they complain about how youngsters drink so much these days .......

Got me sussed!

As soon as my kids started coming along was when I stopped the drinking. I do still smoke and "smoke", if you know what I mean, but I can count the amount of beers I've had this year on my hands.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
i have a friend at work who's 22 & already has nerve problems & things like that,he drink an awful lot of drink a weekend,he's gone through 10 mobile phones in 6 months because he keeps losing them in his various drunk states.
We all like a drink but the lasting effects can be deadly.

another friend who was an alcoholic for 30 years was told stop or die,in those words,he's been clean for 7 months now.

what to do ?? you can't stop people drinking.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

That's what the ban was for. It is a ban on smoking in workplaces and enclosed public areas. That said, I have the same thoughts as you, if you work in a pub that has smoking, that is your choice, no-one is forcing you. Just like if you're a soldier and get shot, or a miner or other hazourdous profession.

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join